Author Topic: Olga Anecdotes  (Read 107551 times)

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
Re: Olga Anecdotes
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2013, 02:47:43 AM »
Quoted from blessOTMA:
if you didn't know the girls well, you might mistake their rough housing for anger. They would shove and shout often..and guards changed a good bit . It's hard to tell what was going on.

Very much agreeing with you! Other people can judge but not everything that they say is true. They themselves (NAOTMAA) only know the things that they had with each other.

Amusing... I find that answer of Olga very similar to what Alexei answered to Olga when she asked him what he's thinking about while he was looking at the sky (if my memory serves me right, alas!) She spoke about how lovely the moon is in her letter to her mama during captivity (while they were separated). I'll type the whole letter for you tomorrow as I'm going to look for it in my perfectly disorganized collection of Romanov info.

(lol unrelated: may I also say those are also some of the few things I love most in this world ~ from Monday to Tuesday this week, the moon was full so I was stuck photographing it and of course, adoring the beauty of the whole night sky plus the blowing wind : )

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2013, 02:07:05 AM »
2/15 May, 1918. Tobolsk

My dear little Mama,

Since your birthday, we had no news of you, I mean that's why we're waiting for some news of you impatiently. And you, do you not receive our letters? We sent, all in all, two telelgrams. I'm writing near the wide open window. Today the weather is splendid; no wind. The little one is out in the garden. They moved him there in his wheelchair. He also got up and put his clothes on yesterdaybut he didn't get out. We also cut some wood for the bath. Zhilik and Trina had cut it before with the saw. We were on the roof, sleeping under the sun. Yesterday there was a splendid sunset, and a maervelous evening. It was so luminous, and the sky was filled with the stars! You certainly don't have such a deep silence when the night has arrived... My dearest, how do you live and what are you doing? I would like so much to be with you! We don't know when we'll leave. My little brother must go in the garden more often and regain more strength, then, I think we will be able to leave. I've sent a card to Kay these days. Today I got a letter from Trofimov. He salutes you all, and send his regards. He's writing that the little Anatoly, his son, sends his wishes to his grandmother. There's a lot of funny couples coming and going in the street, even sometimes on bicycles. Tell Mashka that I saw N. Dim and Pimy from afar. We have moved the piano in your lounge, also the couch that was impeding us during Mass. Last night, the fan exploded with a lot of noise, and in our rooms upstairs, we had no electricity. I hope that, at least, yo get our letters. A strange man has just passed, with a red fez on his head. Well it's time. May the Lord protect you, my dear Mama, and all of you. I kiss Papa, you and Mashka, I take you in my arms and love you all.

Your Olga.

----
Very many thanks to the one who translated it a long time ago in "Olga's letters' thread".

I made a mistake in my recent post. She didn't mention the moon - (apparently, I haven't yet recovered from my "moon madness" xD  )  Nevertheless, the letter is very touching, showing her cheerfulness and melancholy in it.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Lady Macduff

• Boyar
  • We will meet again in better times. - TN
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2013, 02:28:45 PM »
"The grand duchesses changed in front of Varvara Afanasievna, and chose their jewels. Olga said: "Only such a shame that no one can have the pleasure of seeing me, only Papa!" complete absence of brashness."

From Chebotareva's memoir
We are sitting together as usual, but you are missing from the room. - AN

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2014, 10:17:12 PM »
"The grand duchesses changed in front of Varvara Afanasievna, and chose their jewels. Olga said: "Only such a shame that no one can have the pleasure of seeing me, only Papa!" complete absence of brashness."

Oh, everyone would have the the greatest pleasure to see her in beautiful clothes & jewels (even without the jewels and she's wearing ordinary clothes)!!
Thank you many times for this translation, Lady MacDuff! I wanted to know this badly! Kkk,  I wonder why they have to dress up like that in front of Varvara Afanasievna.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:39:13 PM by Grand Princess Shandroise »

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2014, 12:31:36 AM »
Love these Ancedotes,   her description of the sun and sunset was beautiful.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Lady Macduff

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »

Oh, everyone would have the the greatest pleasure to see her in beautiful clothes & jewels (even without the jewels and she's wearing ordinary clothes)!!
Thank you many times for this translation, Lady MacDuff! I wanted to know this badly! Kkk,  I wonder why they have to dress up like that in front of Varvara Afanasievna.

I should have been clearer. In the context of Olga's diary, when she talks a lot about her crushes, it is very clear that in this anecdote Olga is talking about people seeing her naked.

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2014, 09:01:24 PM »
Yeah it does have a tone of "Nakedness"  lol.    They are just like any other person no matter what era people have similar thoughts.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2014, 11:46:53 AM »
Translated by Elizabeth Smith for Romanov Russia Today:

Claudia Bitner remembers Olga at Tobolsk: "She inherited many traits of her father. To me she produced her own kindness, an enchanting impression all her own of a sweet, good Russian girl. She disliked domestic [activities]. She loved solitude and books. She was well-read. In general she was mature. It seemed to me that she, much more than all her family, knew her position and was aware of the danger of it. She cried terribly when her father and mother left Tobolsk. Maybe she knew something then. She strikes me with the impression of a person who has experienced something unfortunate. Sometimes she laughs and you feel that her laughter is from above, but there, deep down, she’s not at all funny, but sad. Just like her father, she was totally simple and affectionate, helpful and welcoming. She loved more than anyone else, it seems, Maria Nikolaevna."

This is a sweet description of Olga, but it also reiterates that there was something melancholy about her in those days and that the danger of their situation affected her.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »
Oh, sooo many thanks for being updated with this, Karin, and for sharing the anecdotes here!!
(of course, special thanks to Elizabeth Smith, too : ))
She loved more than anyone else, it seems, Maria Nikolaevna.
Oh this one struck me most from this anecdote. It is said that Olga seemed to show dislike on Maria in Yekaterinburg.  I am one of the people who didn’t believe that.
This recollection by Bitner proves that belief of mine (that Olga & Maria remained close in Yekaterinburg despite observations of Olga said by soldiers). How can a sister’s love suddenly disappear in just a little time? I think sisters love their sisters no matter who and what they are.
Eh well, I am not sure of Claudia’s statement because of the words “it seems”.

Dev

« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2014, 01:48:02 AM »
Grand Duchess Shandroise,
I too agree Olga did not dislike Maria. I do believe, however, she was angry with Maria for her kindness towards their captors. But dislike her? Noooo.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2014, 06:01:59 AM »
As far as I know Olga´s "dislike" or I would rather call it "reservation" towards Maria only happened after Maria got over-friendly with Ivan Skorokhodov. And Alexandra was supposedly giving Maria the same cold treatement. It doesn´t mean they stopped loving her, but obviously she fell out of favour with behaviour that was probably not considered proper and that too with a person who was actually "an enemy". I don´t have difficulties believing Alexandra and over-sensitive Olga gave Maria a cold-shoulder for some time because of that.

That said it is interesting to see the anecdote, it is the only instance I can recall when somebody actually talks about Olga/Maria "pair". Then again they were "daddy´s girls" and Maria was a source of energy and zest for life, so perhaps that is why Olga clung to her a lot in captivity, since Tatiana tended her mother and brother most of the time?

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
  • Give my love to all who remember me.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2014, 09:20:55 PM »
I find it completely believable that Olga would grow upset with Maria after the incident with Skorokhodov. They were sisters and I can tell you from personal experience that sisters care about each other but fight at times. Obviously my little sister and I don't have the same relationship as Olga and Maria, but I think it is in the nature of siblings. While I believe that their was distance in the last weeks or days, their love wouldn't have diminished.

And while Olga and Tatiana were close for their entire lives, I feel as though we have several photos of Olga and Maria together which suggests that even before the revolution they got along well.
"Austria declared war on us. Bastards." - Olga Nikolaevna
deviantArt: http://poison-ivy-alice.deviantart.com

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »
I agree with what has been said above. I'm neither female nor do I have siblings but it seems to me that Olga's reaction to Marie after the "incident" is that of someone mildly heartbroken. Nothing she wouldn't have gotten over in due time but Olga clearly held Marie dear, especially so. When you place someone on a higher pedestal (than she might have her brother and other two sisters) and then they disappoint you it hurts/offends that much more.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Lady Macduff

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2014, 12:24:27 PM »
I've decided I don't think anything happened between Maria and Skorokhodov, and I don't believe Olga and Maria drifted apart in Ekaterinburg. The story about Maria being found with the guard comes from Ermakov, and the story about Maria being shunned by the family comes from Yurovsky. We know that Ermakov made up huge chunks of his memoir, so that alone makes me doubtful of everything he says. But on top of that he does not say that Maria and Skorokhodov were found together - just that he brought her a cake.

As for Yurovksy saying Olga and Alix turned against Maria toward the end, I call bullpucky on that too. My thought is that Maria in some way undermined his authority, or he was annoyed by her friendliness with the guards. And so, much like Anna Vyrubova writing about Derevenko betraying the family at Tsarskoe, a personal dislike has resulted in a story that has come down through history and is by some regarded as fact.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2014, 01:44:50 AM »
I think you could be right.