Author Topic: Olga Anecdotes  (Read 80545 times)

Offline Dev

• View Profile
Re: Olga Anecdotes
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2014, 12:19:05 PM »
I did a post about Olga for International Women's day which related the well-known Karol anecdote and the considerably less known Olga's dreams: http://lost-fairytale-empire.tumblr.com/post/79036560197/international-womens-day-8-march-2014-many

Olga wrote down her dreams of happiness: "'"Get married, always live in the countryside, winter and summer, see only good people, no one official.'"

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2014, 04:54:44 PM »
That sounds so sweet.... What was your source please?

Offline Lady Macduff

• Boyar
  • We will meet again in better times. - TN
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2014, 07:24:50 PM »
That's from Chebotareva's memoirs. I assume Dev found it on page 59 of Olga's diary.
We are sitting together as usual, but you are missing from the room. - AN

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #168 on: March 11, 2014, 02:48:46 AM »
Thank you! Those came out only in Russian, am I right? Oh.... I just really should learn Russian finally.

Offline Dev

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2014, 04:59:05 AM »
You can find it in Valentina's memoirs as well as translated into English in Helen Azar's book!

Offline Dev

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2014, 05:01:02 AM »
Ally, oh no! They are available in English translated from the wonderful Russianist Helen Azar: http://www.amazon.com/The-Diary-Olga-Romanov-Revolution/dp/1594161771

Offline Dev

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2014, 05:07:36 AM »
Ally, oh no! They are available in English translated from the wonderful Russianist Helen Azar: http://www.amazon.com/The-Diary-Olga-Romanov-Revolution/dp/1594161771
Olga is so funny and witty and kind

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »
Romanov Russia Today has a quote from Olga Alexandrovna about Olga:

“I was very fond of all my brother’s children but perhaps most of the eldest, Olga. The two of us were soul mates. She resembled me in character, and that was perhaps why we understood each other so well. It often happened that I was able to tell her how she was thinking in one or the other specific situation, and that always took her by surprise. “How do you know that?” she would ask with blushing cheeks.”

Offline Lady Macduff

• Boyar
  • We will meet again in better times. - TN
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:16 PM »
Interesting, considering how Anastasia is usually considered to be Olga A's favorite.
We are sitting together as usual, but you are missing from the room. - AN

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2014, 06:43:30 AM »
Interesting, considering how Anastasia is usually considered to be Olga A's favorite.

This is because Olga Alexandrovna herself in her memoirs (penned down by Vorres) states about Anastasia that she "was my favourite God-daughter indeed!" and follows that with some heart-touching memories of the youngest Grand Duchess.

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »

This is because Olga Alexandrovna herself in her memoirs (penned down by Vorres) states about Anastasia that she "was my favourite God-daughter indeed!" and follows that with some heart-touching memories of the youngest Grand Duchess.

Right. I think people understandably took that quote to mean that Anastasia was her favorite niece overall, when she may have specifically been referring to her only as her favorite "God daughter".
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2014, 12:16:25 PM »
But Olga Nikolaevna was her God-daughter as well :-P

Basically I think there were really no "favourites", just Olga Alexandrovna enjoyed Anastasia´s mischief and could relate to the youngest sister status, and with Olga she actually could talk about things which in later years would lead to more serious bonding.

Offline AnnaLivadia

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 23, 2015, 04:36:59 AM »
A few months ago , I read one anecdote about Olga . I can't remember where . According to my memory , Olga was little and she saw a little girl crying on the road because she didn't get any présents at Christmas from Father Christmas and Olga apparantly told her not to cry because he didn't know where the little girl lived . Do you know this anecdote ? If you do , please , tell me the full anecdote . Maybe I got confused but I really remember reading it . I would appreciate your help . Thank you .

Offline GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 28, 2016, 10:03:44 AM »
This is one of my favourites of Olga:

The little Grand Duchesses went to church regularly from the time they were babies. It was during this year that the Grand Duchess Olga began to notice what was said there. She came home one day and told me " the priest prayed for mama and papa, and Tatiana and me, the soldiers and the sailors, the poor sick people, and the apples and pears, and Madame G." I exclaimed at this last, so she said: "But I heard them say 'Marie Feodorovna.'" I said I thought they meant her grandmama. She said, "No, AmamaÕs called Amama, and your Majesty, but not Marie Feodorovna." I said "and also Marie Feodorovna," but she now replied "no one has more than two names, and I am quite sure Madame G. would be very much pleased if she knew that the priests prayed for her in church." - Six Years at the Russian Court, Margaretta Eagar.

Who was this Madame G? I don't remember seeing her name anywhere else.

'Give my love to all who remember me' - Olga Nikolaevna

Offline GDSophie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
Another favourite Olga anecdote of mine!

'...And plus a letter came from Shakh-Bagov (Olga's Mitya)-Olga Nikolaevna threw all of her things around in delight, and threw a pillow up on a top shelf. She felt feverish and she jumped around: "Can someone have a stroke at 20 years old? I think I am having a stroke!" But Varvara Afanasievna declared: "Young blood is warm; the years pass, and the blood cools off." - from the memoirs of V.I Chebotavera, page 59 of The diary of Olga Romanov: Royal Witness to the Russian Revolution by Helen Azar.

Olga being that excited to see Dmitri Shakh-Bagov again makes me smile.
'Give my love to all who remember me' - Olga Nikolaevna