Author Topic: Olga Anecdotes  (Read 84725 times)

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
  • . Emiliya Brianaiovna . Ella of Hesse .
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
Re: Olga Anecdotes
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2006, 08:53:39 PM »
Page 48 of Romanov Autumn:

On a number of occasions Grand Princess Olga, who was only three, told Miss Eager about an old lady in a blue dress, whom  she had seen in her room. The nurse saw nothing. Then, as they walked through the Rotunda on the first floor of the palace, the child pointed to a portrait of Maria Alexandrovna and identified her as the old lady. Stories like these show how deeply the idea of Maria Alexandrovna's unhappiness had penetrated the memory of the Russian Court, which never quite accepted her as one of its own.

Really!?
thats awesome!

well awesome in the sense that she saw somthing...

how old was she?
is there a picture of this painting?
So keep me awake for every moment
Give us more time to be this way
We can't stay like this forever
But I can have you next to me today
. Josh Groban .

Offline tatianolishka_

• Boyar
  • What is history but a fable agreed upon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2006, 08:59:29 PM »
Three years old, my friend. As for the painting, how would we know? :) ???

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2006, 01:58:06 PM »
oh such a tiny little thing she was!

i just thought there was a picture or somthing, that it might have been auctioned off!
. Josh Groban .

kelly_anne_wright

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2006, 08:23:25 PM »
Perhaps this: http://www.abcgallery.com/W/winterhalter/wilterhalter3.JPG is the portrait Olga saw. It's listed as being in the Hermitage now.

edit: The link works kind of funky. If you get an error, just re-enter the URL and the picture shows up.

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 07:08:15 PM »
oh thank you so much for it!
. Josh Groban .

Offline mr_harrison75

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 12:03:21 PM »
I've never read some of the previous anecdotes...thank you!

I've just learned of another that was posted in another thread, but since it concerns Olga...

Olga, apparently wasn't a good swimmer at all, and at one time (in 1915), she was taking a bath in her father's big tub, when she somehow slipped and went under water, remaining there a long time before finally being able to get out.

And shortly before leaving the Alexander Palace, she was on a gang plank with her brother (there's a photograph of it), and apparently, Olga was pushed (with her clothes on) in the water by Alexei (that's what he wrote in his diary).

Ahhh, brotherly love...  :D

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2007, 12:00:42 AM »
These are great  ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 12:13:22 AM by rosieposie »
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline mr_harrison75

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2007, 04:19:31 PM »
Yes they are isn't it?  :)

I was wondering if there were some Olga anecdotes more specific to the last years (1917-18)?

Offline Raegan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2007, 07:49:12 AM »
I was wondering if there were some Olga anecdotes more specific to the last years (1917-18)?

Well at one point in early 1917 (before the revolution) Olga and her sisters used skis to get around the grounds of the Alexander Palace. However they couldn't keep their balance and kept falling down.

Offline mr_harrison75

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2007, 09:48:53 PM »
A good one!

I didn't know the grand princesses were skiing (or at least trying to)! That would make a nice addition in a novel about Olga, though....

Anything else, anyone?  :)

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2007, 06:36:48 AM »

Well at one point in early 1917 (before the revolution) Olga and her sisters used skis to get around the grounds of the Alexander Palace. However they couldn't keep their balance and kept falling down.
Haha. Really? That's hilarious. Where did you read of that?
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline mr_harrison75

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2007, 05:55:32 PM »
Olga, apparently wasn't a good swimmer at all, and at one time (in 1915), she was taking a bath in her father's big tub, when she somehow slipped and went under water, remaining there a long time before finally being able to get out.

I was wondering why she'd have some trouble to get out, but I've read something today in Massie's book Nicholas and Alexandra, saying that the grand-duchesses, starting in their teens, took warm baths late in the evening (instead of cold ones when younger). So you can imagine Olga, always a bit unsafe in the water, with not much lighting, slipping under water...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 05:57:58 PM by mr_harrison75 »

Offline Raegan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2007, 10:29:43 AM »
Haha. Really? That's hilarious. Where did you read of that?

I have done a lot of research in the State Archives of the Russian Federation, and I read the information about Olga and her sisters trying to ski in her 1917 diary.

Offline Raegan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2007, 10:33:29 AM »
Sorry for the double post! Don't know how it happened!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:35:09 AM by Raegan »

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »
Page 48 of Romanov Autumn:

On a number of occasions Grand Princess Olga, who was only three, told Miss Eager about an old lady in a blue dress, whom  she had seen in her room. The nurse saw nothing. Then, as they walked through the Rotunda on the first floor of the palace, the child pointed to a portrait of Maria Alexandrovna and identified her as the old lady. Stories like these show how deeply the idea of Maria Alexandrovna's unhappiness had penetrated the memory of the Russian Court, which never quite accepted her as one of its own.

Really!?
thats awesome!

well awesome in the sense that she saw somthing...

how old was she?
is there a picture of this painting?

Here´s the whole anecdote:

When the Grand Duchess Olga was three years old, she was taken ill with a gastric attack from which she did not fully recover for two or three weeks, the attack itself, in its severe form, keeping the Royal child in bed three or four days. The first time Miss Eager left the bedside of the sick child for a breath of fresh air, she went for a walk
along the quays of the Neva. Upon her return, as she entered the room, little Olga looked up and said, "An old lady was here!" "What old lady?" she asked. "An old lady who wears a blue dress," the child replied. Miss Eager was frankly puzzled because the Court was in mourning at that time and there was no one wearing a blue dress.
"Surely, you mean blue. What kind of blue?" questioned Miss Eager. "It was not like Mamma's," and the child paused. Miss Eager thought perhaps one of the maids had had a visitor and so they were all questioned, but nobody knew of any visitor during Miss Eager's absence, and so the matter for the moment was dropped and dismissed by Miss Eager as a possible vagary of the child's imagination. A few days later, Miss Eager was sitting on the floor with the Royal children in a certain room in the Royal Palace playing at building castles of cards. Suddenly, Olga looked up and exclaimed, "There is the old lady in blue!" "Where? Where?" said Miss Eager and the other children. "There! she
came through the bedroom door; she is standing at the door now!" Miss Eager quickly caught up the child and ran through the bedroom into the room beyond and into yet another room, but she could find no one nor could she hear any footsteps. "Well," said Olga to Miss Eager, " you must be very stupid because the old lady was there." Two
days later, the Empress directed Miss Eager to take the child to the Chapel in the Winter Palace and there, in the hall on the way to the chapel, are two life-sized portraits of the Emperor Alexander II and his wife. Looking at the picture of Alexander IPs wife, Olga said, "Why, that is the lady I saw in the blue dress and see, her dress is not the
dress Mamma wears." The identification was made by the Grand Duchess with the utmost assurance.