Author Topic: Countess Hendrikova  (Read 62790 times)

Offline dracona

• View Profile
Countess Hendrikova
« on: March 24, 2005, 05:25:04 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a full or mostly full bio on Countess Anastasia Hendrikova and her family?
No Frenchmen likes plum pudding.
All Englishmen like plum pudding
Therefore, no Englishmen are Frenchmen.(real live math problem)

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Countess Hendrikova
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 09:04:19 AM »
I've never seen one,she is decended from Catherine I's sister.

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 03:33:53 PM »
Location of Empress Alexandra Fedorovna's English letters to Countess Anastasia Hendrikova?

Dear APF members, your help is needed.

Are are any of you familiar with this book?
Письма Императрицы Александры Федоровны к графине Анастасии Васильевне Гендриковой за 1912-1918 гг. Редактор-составитель К.В.П. М. 2001. С. 42.

(We just found out about it -- thirteen years later!)

The thing is this:
We have these letters, but they are translated back into English from the Russian translation in Sokolov's papers from the investigation in 1918.

(The Empress wrote to Hendrikova in English.)

Obviously, we would prefer to have the original English texts of these letters.

The original volumes of Sokolov's investigation contained the original English letters, accompanied by a Russian translation.
All other copies of the Sokolov investigation contain only the Russian translation of these letters.

Despite two trips to GARF and letters to the other Moscow archives involved, we have not been able to determine where/if the original volume is located.
(There are now several copies of the Sokolov investigation in various institutions in Moscow.)

We were hoping that this book is based on the original English texts, and that it might indicate where that volume is now found.

Any assistance for advice would be most appreciated.

God bless,
Inok Nikolai
инок Николай

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »
Yes, very interesting indeed, thanks for posting!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:58:40 PM »
Location of Empress Alexandra Fedorovna's English letters to Countess Anastasia Hendrikova?

Despite two trips to GARF and letters to the other Moscow archives involved, we have not been able to determine where/if the original volume is located.
(There are now several copies of the Sokolov investigation in various institutions in Moscow.)

I will write to my Russian contacts and see if they know anything about this book and whether it says where the originals are kept!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:08:55 PM »

The original volumes of Sokolov's investigation contained the original English letters, accompanied by a Russian translation.
All other copies of the Sokolov investigation contain only the Russian translation of these letters.

Do you know whether the Sokolov volumes located in Dearborn Michigan would be of any help? I don't recall offhand if they're owned by the Henry Ford archive or University of Michigan. Dearborn isn't in my immediate area, but it wouldn't be a long drive if there's something there I can retrieve for you.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »

Do you know whether the Sokolov volumes located in Dearborn Michigan would be of any help? I don't recall offhand if they're owned by the Henry Ford archive or University of Michigan. Dearborn isn't in my immediate area, but it wouldn't be a long drive if there's something there I can retrieve for you.

Thank you very much for the kind offer! Very touched.

However, it probably wouldn't be worth it for you to go to all the trouble. Ford's copy was just that -- a copy, so it will have those letters, but only in their Russian translation. And we already have those from the copy held at Harvard.

We need to track down the original volume that contains both the original English letters, and the Russian translation done in 1918 -- if it still exists.

(Since the several sets of copies of Sokolov's investigation were all made by him at the same time, and then the different volumes of some sets got separated from each other over the years, it is difficult -- even for the archivists -- to determine if what they have is the very original, or a contemporary copy.)

But we do appreciate your willingness to help!
инок Николай

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 11:29:15 PM »
Let me know if there's ever anything you need from the Ford copy. I've been wishing for a legitimate reason to have a look at it.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »
This is a research question on Countess A. V. Hendrikova's maid, Pauline Kasperovna Mezhants.

Her surname in Russian is spelled as given above Межанц.

But would anyone happen to know the correct Latin-letter spelling of what seems to be her non-Russian surname?

Might it be something like "Megans", with the "g" being soft, as in Gilliard?

Thanks in advance.

I. N.
инок Николай

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 01:51:53 PM »
This is a research question on Countess A. V. Hendrikova's maid, Pauline Kasperovna Mezhants.
But would anyone happen to know the correct Latin-letter spelling of what seems to be her non-Russian surname?

Was she Belorussian, Lithuanian and / or Polish? I see that there are some villages in the old Polish-dominated Lithuanian-Belorussian lands similar to the name:
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mie%C5%BCa%C5%84ce
https://be-x-old.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9C%D1%8F%D0%B6%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%86%D1%8B

The name is also similar to Polish miesiąc ([mʲjɛ̇ɕɔ̃nʦ̑] / мяешoнц), meaning month, albeit with the sh unvoiced.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:19:20 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: «Ивы и берёзы», 1843 / 1856)

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »

Was she Belorussian, Lithuanian and / or Polish? I see that there are some villages in the old Polish-dominated Lithuanian-Belorussian lands similar to the name:
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mie%C5%BCa%C5%84ce
https://be-x-old.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9C%D1%8F%D0%B6%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%86%D1%8B

The name is also similar to Polish miesiąc ([mʲjɛ̇ɕɔ̃nʦ̑] / мяешoнц), meaning month, albeit with the sh unvoiced.

Thank you for the prompt response.

With a patronymic like "Kasperovna", perhaps she was Polish?
инок Николай

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 02:24:22 PM »
With a patronymic like "Kasperovna", perhaps she was Polish?

Yes, both Paulina and Kacper / Kasper / Kaspar / Gaspar are Catholic Polish names rather than Orthodox Russian names, aren't they. I see that the Hendrikovs had their nobility registered in the Kharkov Governorate, in present-day eastern Ukraina, not that far from Polish-dominated western Ukraina. Where were their main estates located, where they presumably recruited their faithful retainers?

I guess it could be Megeants or something like that in French, but it seems like a typical (West) Slavic or Baltic name to me. Although -ts is a common ending in written French, it would normally not be pronounced (e.g. mes géants). It can be found in German (e.g. Tanz), but the sound zh / ж exists only in loanwords in German. It also sounds like a very unlikely word or name in English.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:32:06 PM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 04:59:12 PM »

BTW the Russian letter ж could be the transliteration of Polish ź, ż as well as rz, so the name could also be written Mierząc, which apparantly means "measuring" in Polish.
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 10:02:10 AM »

Dear APF members, your help is needed.

Are are any of you familiar with this book?
Письма Императрицы Александры Федоровны к графине Анастасии Васильевне Гендриковой за 1912-1918 гг. Редактор-составитель К.В.П. М. 2001. С. 42.

(We just found out about it -- thirteen years later!)

The thing is this:
We have these letters, but they are translated back into English from the Russian translation in Sokolov's papers from the investigation in 1918.

(The Empress wrote to Hendrikova in English.)

Obviously, we would prefer to have the original English texts of these letters.

We were hoping that this book is based on the original English texts, and that it might indicate where that volume is now found.

Any assistance for advice would be most appreciated.

God bless,
Inok Nikolai

UPDATE:

All the copies of Sokolov's Investigation found in various archives contain only Russian translations of the original English notes from Empress Alexandra to Hendrikova.
It turns out that in the 1990s, Mstislav Rostropovich bought part of the Sokolov papers which were being auctioned by Sotheby's, including the volume that contains the original English notes to Hendrikova!
Just today we received a letter from Rostropovich's heirs in Moscow informing us that those letters are, indeed, among the papers in the Rostropovich Archive.
However, they declined our request for copies of those notes, since they hope "in the near future" to publish the collected Rostropovich Archive.
So, for now, we have to content ourselves with English translations of the Russian translations of the original English.

At least we now know where those letters are, and that they did survive.
инок Николай