Author Topic: Tatiana Anecdotes  (Read 51055 times)

Offline aussiechick12

• Graf
  • .Darling Diana.
    • View Profile
    • Tatiana Romanova
Re: Tatiana Anecdotes
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 12:48:57 AM »
I've heard that one and always laugh when I hear it. It was in a letter to one of her old teachers.
"Cameo like profile . . . a lovely rose maiden and as pure as flower" - Lili Dehn on Tatiana.
www.tatianaromanova.piczo.com

Offline anna11

• Boyar
  • history is the world's court of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 12:19:14 AM »

I dont know if this is the same thing as the one above but I read somewhere that Anastasia once threw a snowball at Tatiana and it hit her in the head an knocked her out.

Also didnt she often come into her mothers room at night and brush her hair out?

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 11:13:56 AM »
Yes, we are keeping the Romanovs alive through our rememberance of them, that is how I feel exactly. These ancedotes are certainly interesting, and the dog one is funny.. ;D

Offline Tsaritsa_of_Wolves

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
    • Roses for OTMA
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 02:12:41 PM »
Ha, I seem to be on an old-topic hunt, but this seemed the place to ask this.

Does anyone have the full section Mr. Gibbes wrote on Tatiana?   And does anyone have anything from M. Gilliard's memoirs regarding her?

And I agree-sites like this keeps their memory alive.

please visit my website:

www.freewebs.com/roses-for-otma

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 11:45:24 AM »
And does anyone have anything from M. Gilliard's memoirs regarding her?

Gilliard on his first meeting with Tatiana in autumn 1905:
"The second girl, Tatiana, was eight and a half. She had auburn hair and was prettier than her sister, but gave one the impression of being less transparent, frank, and spontaneous."

Gilliard on Tatiana's character (chapter 6):
"Tatiana Nicolaievna was rather reserved, essentially well-balanced, and had a will of her own, though she was less frank and spontaneous than her elder sister. She was not so gifted, either, but this inferiority was compensated by more perseverance and balance. She was very pretty, though she had not quite Olga Nicolaievna's charm.

If the Tsarina made any difference between her children, Tatiana Nicolaievna was her favorite. It was not that her sisters loved their mother any less, but Tatiana knew how to surround her with unwearying attentions and never gave way to her own capricious impulses. Through her good looks and her art of self-assertion she put her sister in the shade in public, as the latter, thoughtless about herself, seemed to take a back seat. Yet the two sisters were passionately devoted to each other. There was only eighteen months between them, and that in itself was a bond of union."

You can read the full text of his memoirs, Thirteen Years at the Russian Court, here:
http://www.alexanderpalace.org/2006pierre/
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Rosie

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 09:52:18 PM »
I'm sorry to be posting this when the last post was made in December last year, but I recall that there might have been some anecdotes of Tatiana when she and her parents and sisters were visiting their cousin, Ella. I couldn't exactly find them. Would anyone happen to know what they are?

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 08:12:50 AM »
I'm pretty darn sure there are some in Margaret Eagar's book, Six Years at the Russian Court.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »

Tatiana Botkine told an interesting and typical little bit about Tatiana in her memoirs of the early 20th century. She too contracted typhoid in 1911 I believe and had to have her head shaved. When Tatiana N. found out about this she immediately knitted a pretty blue wool bonnet for T. Botkine. T.B. wore it often, even after her hair had grown back.

This , ironically, was two years before the same illness and resultant head shaving occurred to Tatiana N. in 1913 during Tricentennial  celebrations.  :)
Rodney G.

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 06:25:40 AM »
Awww. How sweet.  Did TB knit Tatiana a bonnet to?
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 07:27:05 PM »

I don't recall TB making other significant references to Tatiana in her book.
Rodney G.

Offline stacey

• Boyar
  • I wanna be a princess when I grow up!!
    • View Profile
    • Knowitall
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 02:26:24 AM »
I was just thinking about the same incident Anna described--Anastasia throwing a snowball at Tatiana.

I remember reading somewhere that actually Anastasia had put a small rock inside the snowball before throwing it at Tatiana--and yes, Tatiana was knocked, stunned, to the ground. Luckily she wasn't seriously injured, but once Anastasia realized how close she had come to seriously injuring her sister, she broke into floods of tears (one of the few instances I can think of Anastasia crying!)

Does anyone know if it's really true that there was a rock inside the snowball??

I can understand Tatiana's brief collapse if she was struck by a rock--I can't ever recall anyone ever being felled by a mere snowball!!
Sola Nobilitas Virtus

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
  • . Emiliya Brianaiovna . Ella of Hesse .
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 08:23:19 PM »
I was just thinking about the same incident Anna described--Anastasia throwing a snowball at Tatiana.

I remember reading somewhere that actually Anastasia had put a small rock inside the snowball before throwing it at Tatiana--and yes, Tatiana was knocked, stunned, to the ground. Luckily she wasn't seriously injured, but once Anastasia realized how close she had come to seriously injuring her sister, she broke into floods of tears (one of the few instances I can think of Anastasia crying!)

Does anyone know if it's really true that there was a rock inside the snowball??

I can understand Tatiana's brief collapse if she was struck by a rock--I can't ever recall anyone ever being felled by a mere snowball!!

no.. that was an acctual event!
if i did that i would burst into tears.. but its rather hard to image i agree! haha.. little nastya.
does anybody know what year this happened in?
So keep me awake for every moment
Give us more time to be this way
We can't stay like this forever
But I can have you next to me today
. Josh Groban .

I am_Tatianochka

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 09:14:59 AM »
"One day the children and I were walking in the garden of the Winter Palace. The Emperor has some really beautiful collie dogs, and these were taking exercise in the garden at the same time. One of them, a young untrained creature, jumped on Tatiana Nicolaivna's back, and threw her down. The child was frightened and cried most bitterly. I lifted her up and said: 'Poor Sheilka! she did not mean to hurt you; she only wanted to say 'Good-morning' to you.' The child looked at me and said, 'Was that all? I don't think she is very polite; she could have said it to my face, not to my back.' "

In this it says the word, Sheilka. What does Sheilka mean? :) ;)

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 09:07:30 PM »
"One day the children and I were walking in the garden of the Winter Palace. The Emperor has some really beautiful collie dogs, and these were taking exercise in the garden at the same time. One of them, a young untrained creature, jumped on Tatiana Nicolaivna's back, and threw her down. The child was frightened and cried most bitterly. I lifted her up and said: 'Poor Sheilka! she did not mean to hurt you; she only wanted to say 'Good-morning' to you.' The child looked at me and said, 'Was that all? I don't think she is very polite; she could have said it to my face, not to my back.' "

It might be a pet name.  I call a friend Strudel or lemon drop.  LOL but I'm like that with everyone.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:15:01 PM by rosieposie »
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 11:47:21 PM »

Rosieposie's right. Sheilka is the name of the dog that climbed Tatiana’s back. I learned it just yesterday when I was reading Nicholas’ Diary: Perhaps 1896 entry…
Jan.22. "...At about 6 my dog Shilka whelped 2 puppies whose father was Iman. It caused a lot of fuss in the house..."
Maybe Ms. Eagar made her own spelling of the dog’s name and wrote it down when she was making her memoirs. (Or maybe I’m wrong, too. You decide).

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!