Author Topic: Tatiana Anecdotes  (Read 51815 times)

Offline RHB

• Boyar
  • Four Sisters Always Remembered
    • View Profile
Re: Tatiana Anecdotes
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 02:42:07 AM »
Are there anymore interesting anecdotes? I would love to read some (more) funny ones if there are any since she seemed to be the more serious but still good humored sister of OTMA.
<-- GDAndrea

Live and Die together!

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 10:34:28 PM »
of course this can be found in 6 years at the russian court, but I love this one

........The girls were also very fond of the people who took care of them, one of them being naturally their nurse Margaret Eagar. One day Tatiana was being made ready to go out and Miss Eagar went to get her coat. But when she returned, she saw the other nurse shaking the girl. „How dare you shake Tatiana?“ Eagar exclaimed. „You are paid to take care of her, not to correct her!“ The child turned her eyes to Eagar and asked, obviously surprised: "She is paid?“ „Yes,“ replied the governess. „She is paid and I, also, am paid.“

Hearing that, little Tatiana put her head on her nurses shoulder and wept bitterly. Miss Eagar was flummoxed. „You have seen me get my money every month,“ she tried to figure out what was actually wrong. But the Grand Duchess stated: "I always thought it was a gift to you!“ A long explanation followed, that it was necessary the governess was paid, as she had no money of her own and her way of earning money was to look after the children.

The next morning Miss Eagar awoke and Tatiana was standing by her bed. "May I get into your bed?“ the child pleaded. And as she cuddled down in the arms of the governess she exclaimed: "Anyway, you don't get paid for this.“

hahaha!! how true

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Beautiful_Anastasia

• Boyar
  • I love Chris Massoglia!!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Blackrock Panthers
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
........The girls were also very fond of the people who took care of them, one of them being naturally their nurse Margaret Eagar. One day Tatiana was being made ready to go out and Miss Eagar went to get her coat. But when she returned, she saw the other nurse shaking the girl. „How dare you shake Tatiana?“ Eagar exclaimed. „You are paid to take care of her, not to correct her!“ The child turned her eyes to Eagar and asked, obviously surprised: "She is paid?“ „Yes,“ replied the governess. „She is paid and I, also, am paid.“

Hearing that, little Tatiana put her head on her nurses shoulder and wept bitterly. Miss Eagar was flummoxed. „You have seen me get my money every month,“ she tried to figure out what was actually wrong. But the Grand Duchess stated: "I always thought it was a gift to you!“ A long explanation followed, that it was necessary the governess was paid, as she had no money of her own and her way of earning money was to look after the children.

The next morning Miss Eagar awoke and Tatiana was standing by her bed. "May I get into your bed?“ the child pleaded. And as she cuddled down in the arms of the governess she exclaimed: "Anyway, you don't get paid for this.“

Awwwwww! I think this is really sweet! Does anyone know how old Tatiana was here?

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 01:55:17 PM »
[quote

.......The next morning Miss Eagar awoke and Tatiana was standing by her bed. "May I get into your bed?“ the child pleaded. And as she cuddled down in the arms of the governess she exclaimed: "Anyway, you don't get paid for this.“

Awwwwww! I think this is really sweet! Does anyone know how old Tatiana was here?

This story  and many more is  from the treasure trove that is

Margaret Eager's stories of life as a governess to the Grand Duchesses.

Six Years at the Russian Court

The whole book can be found at  http://www.alexanderpalace.org/eagar/eagar.html

It's wonderful such gems are online. Thanks AP org!

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Fortuna vitrea est; tum cum splendet frangitur
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 02:20:11 PM »
What interesting anecdote!!!
And thank you very much for the link too!!!
Russia cannot be grasped with the mind, or measured in feet and inches, for she has a special character: In Russia one can only believe. ~Fyodor Tyutchev.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 10:27:36 PM »
I have printed the while book already but I haven' seen that particular anecdote there. :-(
I believe it's found in another book.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 10:33:17 AM »
Good grief! I'm most sorry for giving you that wrong infomation!
  :-[

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 03:05:31 AM »
Oh, you don’t have to be sorry. It’s okay. I hope someone can give us the source for that very cute anecdote. Maybe, she forgot that one that’s why she didn’t write that in her book. The sad fact also is that Ms. Eagar lost her diary full of anecdotes about the three eldest Grand Duchesses in a train station in Spala. Oh I’m very sad. I hope it would surface someday tho’ I know it is very impossible.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 05:15:29 PM »
The sad fact also is that Ms. Eagar lost her diary full of anecdotes about the three eldest Grand Duchesses in a train station in Spala. Oh I’m very sad. I hope it would surface someday tho’ I know it is very impossible.

I didn't know that she had a diary that went missing!  That is very sad because what we do know of the Grand Duchesses from that time is  they  were very funny/cute from an early age. I got that Tatiana story,  I believe from one of the tribute pages that post collections of them and I though it was from  Ms. Eagar book  since it is wriiten  very like the Olga /policemen/ prison story   and that is in the book!   It's too bad about her diary.

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 04:05:10 AM »
Oh now I know where that anecdote above was taken! Here:Download
You can download the book!

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
Oh now I know where that anecdote above was taken! Here:Download
You can download the book!

Great! Now I just have to figure out how! lol!

Thank you!!!

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 05:21:30 PM »

I re-read Olga’s letters from livadia.org last night and saw a letter written by her and Tatiana. It was a letter to their cousin Louise Mountbatten dated 22 October 1914.
There, Tatiana wrote:
I am at the head of a committee for refugees and have presided two sittings. I felt very grand but wanted to dive under the table from fright as I have got a very stiff and pompous gentleman who is under me.

It makes me laugh thinking Tatiana perspiring a lot, feeling tensed while the sitting was going on.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 11:17:48 PM »

I re-read Olga’s letters from livadia.org last night and saw a letter written by her and Tatiana. It was a letter to their cousin Louise Mountbatten dated 22 October 1914.
There, Tatiana wrote:
I am at the head of a committee for refugees and have presided two sittings. I felt very grand but wanted to dive under the table from fright as I have got a very stiff and pompous gentleman who is under me.

It makes me laugh thinking Tatiana perspiring a lot, feeling tensed while the sitting was going on.

Lol! He probably called her " Your Imperial Highness "  loudly,  every 5 mintunes lol!

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »
There, Tatiana wrote:

LOL!  Poor Tanya, I bet she was happy when that meeting ended.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2010, 03:00:50 AM »
This is a touching anecdote mentioned by Lili Dehn in her book “The Real Tsaritsa” :
[This was the time when Lili Dehn was asked to leave for Petrograd while she was staying with the IF at Alexander Palace in 1917.]

”Zanoty had packed my suitcase, and the Empress now sent her to fetch a sacred medal, which she hung round my neck, blessing me as she did so. At the last moment, Tatiana ran out of the room, and returned with a little leather case containing portraits of the Emperor and Empress which had stood on her special table ever since she was a tiny child.
“Lili,” she cried, “if Kerensky is going to take you away from us, you shall at least have Papa and Mama to console you”. […] We walked slowly towards the head of the great staircase…the moment for saying farewell had arrived…I tried to be brave… the silence was unbroken save by Tatiana’s stifled sobbing. Olga and the Empress were quite calm, but Tatiana, who has been described by most contemporary historians as proud and reserved, made no secret of her grief.”