The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
September 02, 2014, 07:01:39 AM
461602 Posts in 8948 Topics by 14512 Members
Latest Member: Quint
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Imperial Family (Moderators: LisaDavidson, Sarushka, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Romanovs and Faith/Orthodox Religion
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author
Sticky Topic Topic: Romanovs and Faith/Orthodox Religion  (Read 73812 times)
Reply #105
« on: May 02, 2006, 04:34:44 PM »
joye Offline
Boyar
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 105

View Profile

Can anyone explain the Russian Cross?

refer http://romanovfundforrussia.org/family/ekaterinburg.html

The Russian Cross has 3 crosspieces; 1 in the usual position, a shorter crosspiece above, and to my mind the most interesting feature, a slanted crosspiece at almost the base.

Can anyone give an explanation? please.

Signed  HRH

YaBB 1G-SP1!
Reply #106
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:17:47 PM »
Georgiy Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Slava v vyshnikh Bogu Posts: 2002

View Profile

The bar on the top is where they nailed the sign Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews, the middle crossbar is of course for the arms, and the bottom bar is the platform where the feet were nailed. The slanting angle of it can make the viewer contemplate in which direction s/he is heading. Often under the cross, you will also see a skull and crossbones depicted. This is Adam's skull, as Golgotha (place of the skull) is traditionally where Adam was buried. Significantly, Christ is often referred to as the New Adam.
Reply #107
« on: May 15, 2006, 09:32:23 AM »
pookiepie Offline
Boyar
vee are, how you say, Norvegians! Posts: 148

View Profile

i heard something else for the slanted bar in sunday school. it shows where the robbers on either side of him were going.
Reply #108
« on: August 11, 2006, 04:11:31 PM »
Slava Bogu! Offline
Slava Isusu Khristu ... Posts: 12

View Profile

What was the IF's role, if any, in the 1903 canonization of Serafim Sarovskii? Also, I remember reading somewhere that it was something of a controversial canonization ... can anybody shed some light on why this was so?
Reply #109
« on: August 11, 2006, 08:17:16 PM »
Laura Mabee Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Art in Avatar done by Lisa! Posts: 2159

View Profile WWW

Also, in A Lifelong Passions there is this interesting tidbit -

A year before Philippe had worked upon the imagination of the Empress that she and all around her were convinced that she was with child, until the illusion was exposed by the Empress's doctors.
Philippe explained what had occurred by her lack of faith and falling into a trance prophesised anew that the wish of the Empress to have a son would be gratified if she asked for the protection of St Serafim of Sarov. The saint was unknown in the Orthodox calendar. The Emporer ordered the Holy Synod to canonize Sarafim without delay. Pobedonostsev, The Head of the Synod, tried to explain that a man could not be proclaimed a saint by Imperial order, but he was told by the Empress Alexandra herself: The Emperor can do anything. Serafim was canonized at Sarov with great pomp in the presence of Nicholas and Alexandra. By the order of Philippe, the Empress bathed at the dead of night in the spring, which was said to have been blessed by the saint. The promised miracle had been preformed. [From V. Poliakov's biography of Empress Marie]
Reply #110
« on: August 11, 2006, 08:31:30 PM »
Georgiy Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Slava v vyshnikh Bogu Posts: 2002

View Profile

St Seraphim of Sarov is now one of the most popular and well-loved of the Russian Saints. The Empress was right to insist on his glorification (canonisation) - he was long venerated by the masses and not exactly unknown.
Reply #111
« on: August 12, 2006, 09:19:20 AM »
Slava Bogu! Offline
Slava Isusu Khristu ... Posts: 12

View Profile

I totally agree, Georgiy ... I guess that's why I asked in the first place. It should have been quite a straightforward case but apparently it wasn't at the time. (He's very easy to love ... I'm Catholic but I definitely have room in my heart for "poor Serafim"  Smiley)
Reply #112
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:51:30 AM »
Helen_Azar Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Ask about my upcoming book on Grand Duchess Olga Posts: 7393

View Profile WWW

Feodorovsky Cathedral founded by Nicholas II and Alexandra in Tsarskoe Selo was partially dedicated to Serafim. His image is above its entrance:

Reply #113
« on: October 07, 2006, 08:30:12 AM »
Tania+ Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 1206

View Profile

For most Russian Orthodox families, and individuals, I am sure the Imperial Family, I know their faith meant much to them, daily.
I wanted to receive from readers a measure of feed back of stories, and factual understanding of what faith meant to the parents,
but to the Imperial children.

Are there any stories shared from the Russian Orthodox Church that can be share here as well on the Imperial Family ?

If you can also offer special biblical verses they enjoyed most, this would be very kind of you to share. Thank you in advance.

Tatiana+

TatianaA

Reply #114
« on: October 17, 2006, 06:41:21 AM »
Sarushka Offline
Velikye Knyaz
May I interest you in a grain of salt? Posts: 6431

View Profile WWW

I don't have any specific anecdotes to share, but I've always been intrigued by the different ways in which Olga & Tatiana approached their faith. Both were devoted to Orthodoxy, but while Tatiana was very religious in an almost practical sense, Olga seems to have been far more spiritual. Tatiana read and stuided her religion (the list of books she took into exile will support that claim) and practiced its rituals dutifully, but according to many accounts it was Olga who carried the deepest feeling about her faith. Before going to work each day in the lazaret, for example, she would walk alone to chapel and pray.

I don't recall much information about the religious devotion of the Little Pair. I suspect that their faith became more significant to them in exile, though. In their letters, Anastasia in particular refers more often to God than she had previously. The IF often signed their letters to one another with some form of "God bless you" or "God keep you" but in exile, Anastasia mentions God's protection and comfort in the body of her letters to her parents more than once. (Incidentally, some first hand accounts say that the revolution arrested Anastasia's intellectual and emotional development, but I think her letters from exile disprove that notion. She did do some growing up near the end of her life, IMO.)

THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King
Reply #115
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:17:24 AM »
Holly Offline
Velikye Knyaz
www.otma.org Posts: 1407

View Profile WWW

I agree with Sarushka. Anastasia's letters from Tobolsk don't seem to show any arrest in her emotional development. Anastasia's faith obviously meant a lot to her. I remember in one of her letters from 1918, she said, "Dear ones, in our thoughts we are with you all the time. It is terribly sad and empty; I really don't know what possesses me. The baptismal cross is with us, of course, and we got your news. So. The Lord will help and does help." Also some other quotes where she mentions the Lord are: "For now, good-bye. I wish you the best, happiness, and all good things. We con¨stantly pray for you and think, Help us Lord. Christ be with you, precious ones. I embrace all of you tightly and kiss you. A.", "For the moment, thanks be to God, we're living well". There was a letter by Maria that said the two of them went to pray in Alexei's room and Maria said that Anastasia mananged to pray right under her nose, or something along those lines. But, I don't think Anastasia's emotional developement was halted and from her letters it seems as if she was just depressed. And she did have a great faith in God, you can see it in her letters and things.

"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.
Reply #116
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:40:38 AM »
Tania+ Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 1206

View Profile

imho, faith comes from those who develop it in those who are young and need a course to carry them through life. For the IF, faith was the compass that chartered all their lives. In their darkest hours they clung to it like nothing else, and could feel that it allowed them to rise above their persecutors. Their care of one another, and even to those who professed to not like them, turned their heads to think again, of why they had to maintain that hate inside of them. The children it seems, always felt and lived their faith, and I know that it helped them transend issues even you and i would think were impossible. To read their letters, and to see their dear faces, i know inside, that these were very very brave and courageous children. It has been a priviledge to read and know about their short lives. They are heroes for eternity !

Tatiana+

TatianaA

Reply #117
« on: December 22, 2006, 08:54:45 PM »
s66405h

Here's a link to a picture of the Ipateivsky Monastery where the Romanov Dynasty began.

http://www.fotolia.com/id/412965/partner/15225
Reply #118
« on: May 26, 2007, 01:37:39 PM »
Isabella Offline

View Profile

I'm a Christian, and am a member of a Church of England church, where I go every Sunday, but I don't feel restricted to worshipping in one denomination. At the moment (at home), I perform various rituals from several different churches, and the Orthodox church is one of these. Would this be considered right? Do you have to be baptised an Orthodox Christian to worship the Orthodox way?
Reply #119
« on: May 30, 2007, 01:12:31 AM »
pookiepie Offline
Boyar
vee are, how you say, Norvegians! Posts: 148

View Profile

This can get tricky. It would be helpful to know specifically what rituals. Participating in mass is another thing. There are different ways of participating. You can join the congregation in singing the prayers, you can listen to the priest, you can join hands when saying the Our Father (if youíre in a Catholic church), etcÖ  What I know for a fact, though, is that in you arenít allowed to take communion if you are not of that religion. So yes, you do have to be a baptized orthodox to take communion at an Orthodox church. Same with Catholicism. Religion is a very serious matter and has many rules. I think itís better to be cautious and do some homework first, like maybe talking to a priest or something, to see what is allowed and what isnít. Things that donít seem like a big deal to us laypeople usually are a big deal.  But Iím pretty sure that ďmixing religionsĒ is frowned upon by most clergy of all denominations for the reason stated above. I know itís not politically correct but thatís not what religion is about. Hope this helped Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: