Author Topic: Maria Anecdotes  (Read 31530 times)

Offline Grand Duchess Jennifer

• Graf
  • "Give my love to all who remember me"-Olga,1918
    • View Profile
    • The Last Grand-Duchesses of Russia-OTMA
Re: Maria Anecdotes
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 05:01:16 PM »
Yes.  :)

Please visit www.freewebs.com/grand-duchessesofrussiaotma/
Banner and Icon by Ally

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
Where does the one about Maria dangling out of a window come from?
Why I enjoy watching The Andy Griffith Show at 2am, I'll never know.
Why yes, I do enjoy comical stylings of Anastasia :]

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 01:22:35 AM »
It wasn't published in a book.Greg King generously shared it in the former AP forum (hydrogen.pallasweb... I can't remember the name already) : )

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 06:44:10 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, where did he get it from?
Why I enjoy watching The Andy Griffith Show at 2am, I'll never know.
Why yes, I do enjoy comical stylings of Anastasia :]

Offline Condecontessa

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 04:22:53 PM »
I just happened to come across this quote from "Historical Anecdotes" thread (under Imperial Family).

The story about Maria falling out of the window happened in 1912. It can be found on this thread (post by Greg King, 5/3/04): http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=family;action=display;num=1077194467

The story goes: "One day in 1912 at Livadia, the four Grand Duchesses crept into their father's Study on the upper floor of the White Palace at Livadia in his absence.  The Emperor was unusually protective of his privacy, and almost always locked the room when he was gone, but on this day he had forgotten, and the temptation proved too much.  While the girls were exploring, their mother began to call for them.  As her voice became louder and more insistent, they panicked.  Marie ran for the window, and told her sisters to lower her out; she was dangling by her arms mid-way down the side of the Palace when Alexandra apparently walked into the room, and her sisters let go so as not to get caught.  She fell to the garden, some fifteen feet below, with a thud; luckily, she landed in some shrubbery, and was only bumped and bruised, but their adventure had been discovered and they were forbidden to go out for several weeks thereafter."

Offline Archduchess Zelia

• Everyone who isn't us is an enemy.
    • View Profile
    • vesperlynds
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »
I had never heard that anecdote before, but oh my god, poor Maria and thank god nothing serious happened to her. I've been in a similar situation and I broke my arm.
Pardon any grammatical errors, English is not my main language.

"Are you sure, dear? You have to reign all afternoon, you know." - HM The Queen Mother, when HM The Queen wanted a second glass of wine with lunch.

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 03:51:14 AM »
Like nicky would say, i'm glad to discover once again they were lively and mischievous llike human being!
I was thinking that in 1912 The Big pair weren't little girls no more! O was quite 17 and Tatiana 15. And they enjoyed these things anyway!

Thanks, this was a very interesting anecdote!!!
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 02:36:04 AM »
I wonder if there's someone as curious as I am as to who was the cousin 'soldier' who tried to embrace Marie but she told him "Good girls don't kiss soldiers."
Although the anecdote was undated, I was able to 'figure out' who that was among GD Konstantin's children!
It was Konstantin Konstantinovich (1891-1918). The clue I rested on for making this assumption was that cousin has reached 12 years of age that time.
His brother Igor (1894) turned 12 in 1906, so he is out. His brother Oleg (1892) turned 12 at November 15, 1904 - but he was clearly not that cousin because M. Eagar left OTMA shortly after Alexei was born (August 1904). His older brothers Ioann and Gabriel were 12 at the time Marie could possibly have not learned to reason that way, and both were born in late 1880's.
So the one left was Konstantin. He was 12 in 1903, and Marie may have been 4 years old that time, an age where she could possibly have done that (^o^)
Interesting enough, he used to admire Olga, and they all met the same fate in Yekaterinburg :'(

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
  • Give my love to all who remember me.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2013, 03:34:58 AM »
Ah, I remember reading such an anecdote a long time ago. I wish all four year olds were that sweet.
"Austria declared war on us. Bastards." - Olga Nikolaevna
deviantArt: http://poison-ivy-alice.deviantart.com

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2013, 04:15:16 AM »
Indeed, Kassy. LOL, most 4-year olds are 'sour' or 'bitter' now!!

---------

Two more...

January 24, 1915

Marie stands at the door and alas! picks her nose.

(Alix to Nicholas)

----

XD Olga, Anastasia and Maria all have the 'picking the nose' accounts! Tatiana, I'm looking for yours! (will I ever find one?)

----

From Belyayev's memoirs (thank you very muches to matushka!)
(rough translatiion by Promt & Google Translators; finishing trans. by me)

"Maria Nikolaevna is no longer a girl. Fat and curly-haired, she shyly stands apart, from time to time raising her big eyes fringed with thick lashes. Apparently, she feels embarrassed of herself. It seems everyone notices she is already an adult."

Offline wakas

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2013, 10:58:42 AM »
Olga, Anastasia and Maria all have the 'picking the nose' accounts!
lol !
Tatiana, I'm looking for yours! (will I ever find one?)
I can't even imagine that ! ^_^
After death, there is not death, but life.

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2013, 12:14:47 AM »
From Margaret Eager's book:

"From her earliest age her love for her father has been most marked. When she was barely able to toddle she would always try to escape from the nurseries to go to papa, and whenever she saw him in the garden or park she would call after him. If he heard or saw her, he always waited for her, and would carry her for a little.

When he was ill in the Crimea her grief at not seeing him was excessive. I had to keep the door of the day nursery locked or she would have escaped into the corridor and disturbed him with her efforts to get to him. Every evening after tea she sat on the floor just inside the nursery door listening intently for any sounds from his room. If she heard his voice by any chance she would stretch out her little arms, and call "Papa, Papa," and her rapture when she was allowed to see him was great. When the Empress came to see the children on the first evening after the illness had been pronounced typhoid fever, she happened to be wearing a miniature of the Emperor set as a brooch. In the midst of her sobs and tears little Marie caught sight of this; she climbed on the Empress's knee, and covered the pictured face with kisses, and on no evening all through his illness would she go to bed without kissing this miniature."

Far too sweet not to have in here, methinks :)

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
From Margaret Eager's book:

"From her earliest age her love for her father has been most marked. When she was barely able to toddle she would always try to escape from the nurseries to go to papa, and whenever she saw him in the garden or park she would call after him. If he heard or saw her, he always waited for her, and would carry her for a little.

When he was ill in the Crimea her grief at not seeing him was excessive. I had to keep the door of the day nursery locked or she would have escaped into the corridor and disturbed him with her efforts to get to him. Every evening after tea she sat on the floor just inside the nursery door listening intently for any sounds from his room. If she heard his voice by any chance she would stretch out her little arms, and call "Papa, Papa," and her rapture when she was allowed to see him was great. When the Empress came to see the children on the first evening after the illness had been pronounced typhoid fever, she happened to be wearing a miniature of the Emperor set as a brooch. In the midst of her sobs and tears little Marie caught sight of this; she climbed on the Empress's knee, and covered the pictured face with kisses, and on no evening all through his illness would she go to bed without kissing this miniature."

Far too sweet not to have in here, methinks :)

Her father's angel, without a doubt. And everyone else's ,for that matter.
Rodney G.

Offline edubs31

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2013, 05:13:28 PM »
Always nice to here those Marie anecdotes GD Kassy!

This was already mentioned on here but it's probably my all-time favorite…That of a toddler-aged Marie sneaking away from her bathtub. Wasn't this in pursuit of "Papa" as well? If memory serves didn't she sneak out of the room while her two nannies were momentarily preoccupied with other things, race down the hallway naked and dripping wet, and confront a sentry guarding the room where she believed her father to be? At that moment young Auntie Olga Alexandrovna scooped her up and took her away.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:15:23 PM by edubs31 »
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2013, 06:00:39 PM »
I've heard of Olga being close to Nicholas, but I never knew that Maria was such a "daddy's girl"

I remember that one! M. Eager was too busy discussing politics with Olga A and the naked little baby went running for her papa hehe Olga went after her, I think?