Author Topic: Bulla Photo ID  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Scott

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Bulla Photo ID
« on: March 27, 2005, 07:39:02 PM »
I have had this Bulla photo for some time.  Does anyone recognize any of the officers pictured or the location?

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Bulla Photo ID
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 11:10:54 PM »
Hi Scott!

Interesting photo. Any inscription or date on the back? Nice group of highly decorated officers!

The third officer from the left looks a lot like Duke George Alexander Georgievich of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. He did receive the Order of St. Andrew, which very few officers received (apart from the grand dukes). He died in 1909.

The last one on the right looks like Prince Vladimir Orlov (Head of His Majesty’s Chancellery), but I don’t think Orlov was that tall, and he should have some ADC aiguillettes  (he got them in 1903) so I don’t know who he is.  I have no idea who the other officers are. Obviously from various units, including a Navy officer.

Daniel Briere

Offline Scott

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 12:56:51 AM »
The only thing on the back is the usual "Bulla - Nevsky 54" stamp, what appears to be the number "22" written in blue "crayon" and the number "316" in pencil.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 04:17:23 AM »
... including a Navy officer.

Do you mean a guy in white coat between two generals? Doesn't he look more like a war ministry's civil servant (voennyi chinovnik), with his high boots and long sword?

Offline Michael_Doubrovin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 08:37:23 AM »
No. He is a naval officer. Look - he has a naval officers belt with buckle and a palash.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 09:57:41 AM »
Probably yes - I've just read in Sobolev's "Kapitalnyi Remont" that naval officers actually had sabers and high boots as part of their uniforms. Still I've never seen an image of a navy officer so dressed.  

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 04:30:55 AM »
One men on the left looks like GD Sergey Mikhaylovich.
Maybe this is Mogilev?

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 02:53:20 PM »
Karl Bulla very seldom worked outside Petersburg and its suburbs. The men on the background look like drummers, and the building is almost certainly barracks. Together with the main group's semi-dress uniforms, it makes it very probable that the picture was taken in Petersburg or nearby during some regimental or cadet corps review.

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 08:08:52 PM »
Judging by the baggy pants many officers are wearing, this photo was certainly taken before the War, which rules out Moghilev too.
Daniel Briere

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 02:30:14 AM »
IF it is not the war, we could suggest that all of them have just got some medal or order from the Emperor and they took the memory photo.
It seems that on the left side they have the same medal or order.
On the way to the station ot somewhere else.
The building behind them looks like barracks militaire.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 02:48:27 AM »
we could suggest that all of them have just got some medal or order from the Emperor

No - for such an event they would wear full dress uniform.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 12:43:11 AM »
So far we could identify two persons, the year and the city.

First from the left: Maj.-General Daniil Drachevsky, Petersburg governor (gradonachal'nik).

Third from the left: Maj.-General of the Suite Duke Georg Alexander Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who held several military and civil offices and was extensively involved in charity activities.

The year is 1907, the location is somewhere in Petersburg, probably one of regimental compounds, military schools or hospitals.

Offline Scott

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 09:34:58 PM »
Mike - Thanks for the information.  Please let me know if you come up with the identity of any of the other officers.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 08:20:51 AM »
The problem with their identification is their relatively low ranks. Except for one cavalry Lieutenant-General (1st from the right), the rest are Major-Generals (including one retired) or lower. Now, at any given moment of time there were several hundreds of such officers in Petersburg. By 1903, the Russian army counted about 1,400 active service generals. By 1907, that number was probably well over 1,700, and at least half of them held various positions (not necessarily military commands) in the empire's capital.

Offline Thomas B. LeMay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 08:09:13 PM »
Dear Mike,

I am interested in several comments from your last post.  What about the officer's dress on the right makes you certain that he is attached to a cavalry regiment?  Is there indeed a characteristic of the uniform that definitely leads to this determination.  Additionally, it is difficult from the photograph to really determine the rank for most of the officers.  Certainly one is naval (based on the belt) and one is retired (duel color generals eppaulettes easily seen).

Thank you in advance for your assesment.

With my regards,

Brad LeMay
blemay@cablelynx.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by atlantis »
Thomas B. LeMay
blemay@cablelynx.com