The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
November 22, 2014, 08:17:05 PM
462539 Posts in 8996 Topics by 14527 Members
Latest Member: Ekaterina2012
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Habsburgs (Moderators: grandduchessella, Forum Admin, Svetabel, britt.25)
| | |-+  Emperor Maximilian of Mexico & Empress Carlota (Charlotte of Belgium)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author
Locked Topic Topic: Emperor Maximilian of Mexico & Empress Carlota (Charlotte of Belgium)  (Read 97461 times)
Reply #150
« on: February 04, 2006, 09:35:09 AM »
Prince_Christopher Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Is it true that Max had a son by his maid?  Does anyone know what happened to the boy after his father's grisly death?

According to The Cactus Throne: The Tragedy of Maximilian and Carlotta by Richard O'Connor, Concepcion Sedano y Leguizano, the girl by whom Maximilian fathered an illegitimate son, died shortly after Max's execution.  She had been the wife of one of the gardeners.

Young Sedano, whose first name was not mentioned, through a mysterious source of funds, was taken to Paris and educated.  No sign of recognition ever came from Vienna.

"Sedano was befriended by a wealthy Mexican expatriate and provided with a good education.  He grew up to be a thoroughly spoiled rascal and assumed aristocratic airs. Not only did he take pride in being called the "imperial bastard," but he grew a beard exactly like his father's.  After his patron gave him up as a bad job, he distinguished himself as the worst credit risk in Paris, was involved in various swindles, and finally as middle age began to creep upon him, he became a traveling salesman.
    When WWI broke out, Sedano was an aging adventurer stranded and penniless in Spain. Exactly the type the German espionage network in Spain was looking for.  Its Barcelona branch recruited him to gather military informatin in France and forward it to a "drop" in Switzerland.  One thing Sedano proved to have inherited from Maximilian:  a fatal ineptitude.  The German spy masters had insructed him to write his messages in secret ink between the lines of an innocuous letter.  He did not bother with composing an imaginary letter but simply wrote out his messages in secret ink.  French counterespionage did not have to be brilliant to suspect leters on which nothing, apparently, was written; they applied a chemical reagent to the supposedly blank pages and came up with proof of Sedano's guilt.  He was arrested just as he dropped one of his letters in a postbox on the Boulevard des Italiens in 1917.  A secret courtmartial condemned him to death.  On October 10, 1917, like his father, but for less honorable reasons, Sedano faced a firing squad.  A small pleased smile was noted on his face when the officer in chrge of the firing squad read out the order, beginning "Sedano, son of the Emperor Maximilian of Mexico...." He was 51 years old when he died as a traitor to France."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Prince_Christopher » Logged

Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero
Reply #151
« on: February 04, 2006, 10:35:03 AM »
Prince_Christopher Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Prince Agustin de Iturbide (1863-1925), one of the two sons whom Maximilian and Carlota adopted, was returned to his family and was educated in Europe as a prince, spent some time in Mexico, and ended up as professor of French and Spanish at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. (His own mother was an American, Alice Green, of Georgetown).  In 1915 he married Mary Louise Kearney but had no children. He shared one thing with his adoptive mother:  He eventually lost his grip, becoming mentally unstable, paranoid that the Mexican army was trying to assassinate him.  After his death, the Mexican Imperial succession passed to his "neice", Dona Maria Josefa de Iturbide, the daughter of his cousin/adoptive brother, Salvador de Iturbide, and the Hungarian Baroness Gisella de Tarrodhaza.

Prince Agustin, the adopted son of Maximilian and Carlotta

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Prince_Christopher » Logged

Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero
Reply #152
« on: February 07, 2006, 08:06:34 AM »
Angie_H Offline
Knyaz
http://booboogbs.deviantart.com My Colored Pics! Posts: 976

View Profile WWW

Charlotte was born in 1840, the only daughter Leopold I and Queen Louise of Belgium. Queen Louise, his second wife allowed their daughter to be named after her predecessor, Princess Charlotte of Wales who had died in childbirth.

From her childhood Charlotte's life was filled with drama. Leopold distanced himself physically and emotionally from his family. Charlotte in turn worshiped her distant, remote father and sought in vain for his attention. She ignored all the slights and remained faithful and adoring to the end. Charlotte's mother died when she was ten.

This seems so sad. Leopold was such a father figure to his niece Victoria but he couldn't/wouldn't be that for his own child?

Reply #153
« on: February 07, 2006, 08:16:44 AM »
Agneschen

I do think King Léopold loved his children only as he grew older he became more and more neurasthenic and it became increasingly difficult for him to express his feelings. Charlotte was undoubtedly his favourite. He called her "the flower of my heart" and wrote her a couple of touching letters, lamenting her absence, after she married Archduke Ferdinand Max of Austria.
Charlotte's birth had come as a disappointment to him (he had hoped for a 3rd son to consolidate jis newly-acquired throne) but she made rapid progress in his affections. On the occasion of Charlotte's 4th birthday her mother Queen Louise wrote to her own mother : "Just as you predicted, Charlotte has become Leopish's great favourite".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Agneschen » Logged
Reply #154
« on: February 18, 2006, 06:46:23 AM »
thijs Offline
Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 694

View Profile

Is there someone who has portraits of Charlotte. I am looking especially for her "Winterhalter" portrait. Thanks.
Reply #155
« on: April 10, 2006, 09:51:08 AM »
thijs Offline
Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 694

View Profile

Maximilian archduke of Austria, emperor of Mechico. I would love to see the winterhalter portraits of princess Charlotte of Belgium. Anybody?

Reply #156
« on: June 13, 2006, 05:13:21 PM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz
Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D Posts: 13172

View Profile WWW

QV, devoted to both Leopold I and her aunt Louise, was very fond of her young cousin.

She liked this Winterhalter (and others by him of her Belgian relatives) that she had it copied in 1868 and had placed at Windsor (later moved to Frogmore). I think the original Winterhalter is at San Simeon in California (the former home of William Randolph Hearst).

The other Winterhalter, of Charlotte as a child, was given to Queen Victoria--along with ones of Leopold, Louse, Leopold (II) and Philip--by her Aunt Louise for Christmas 1842. Louise wrote to QV that her 'great kindness for us and Charlotte and  your amiable wish so often expressed to have her picture by Winterhalter lithographed led me to believe, the picture itself might be agreeable to you. Your Uncle is not quite satisfied with it, but I must confess, I think the head very like and quite in the character of the Child. The Drawing of the figure is not good, but unfortunately Drawing is not the strong part of Winterhalter.' In March, QV replied that she was charmed with the portrait that 'ma bonne Louise' had given her. The Belgian royal family had a copy of the portrait made and this copy is still in the Belgian Royal collection at Argenteuil. Another copy is at Versailles. QV had the portrait placed in her sitting room at Buckingham Palace, it ws moved to Windsor in 1915 and then to Osborne.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:37:02 AM by Svetabel » Logged

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/
Reply #157
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:19:17 AM »
Sissi Offline
Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 505

View Profile

Charlotte was a pretty woman, but I don`t see her beautiful! Archduchess Sophie wrote that she was a beauty, I know that this was in part to bother Sissi, but still, Charlotte has a strange look I would say, inthe photos she looks kind of gloomy! The Winterhalter portrati are just gorgeous.... I read that she had quite beautiful jewels! I believe they were inheritated by the Belgium Royal family.
Reply #158
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:24:43 AM »
Sissi Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

I read Carlota`s biography by Michel de Grece, and he seems to imply that there were rumours of Ferdinand being gay! It was the first time I read or heard something like that, in any case in Mexico they would not share beds, and he had various adventures with natives young women. Their phisical relationship is pretty much a mistery! There was rumours of her still being a virgin!! Shocked
Reply #159
« on: June 22, 2006, 04:15:11 PM »
Sissi Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

I read Michel de Grece biography of Charlotte and what surprised me was the fact that there was at the time some weird comment  on Max and Charlotte mariage, they were rumors about her still being a virgin, he raised various point: her mental illness might have been the result of beverages that were being given to her to raise her sexual appetite Shocked Max had various affairs with native girls which bother Charlotte. He was also had a friendship with the Count of Bombelle which Charlotte despised for some reason, this same count went back to Austria after the tragedy and became Crown Prince Rudolf governor/mentor I don`t remember the title he had, but htis man seemed to have been bad company....

Does anybody know more about that?
Reply #160
« on: June 23, 2006, 03:52:53 AM »
Agneschen

I have read at least 5 bios of Charlotte and there are several theories on how she came to loose her mind. Some say she was poisoned, others that it was caused by despair (which I tend to believe but this is a private opinion). Will we ever know ?? Prince Michel of Greece mentions the 2 in his bio. I think the portrait he draws of Charlotte's secretive personality is quite interesting.
Same for the wedding being consumated or not. Some say Max was gay, others he was a womanizer & contaminated Charlotte with venereal disease ... There are quite a mysterious couple, are they not ? Charlotte's life does seem at time to be shrouded with mystery.

By the way, I was in beautiful Italy last week and visited Miramare Castle. I will post pictures of the castle, park & castelleto as soon as I can if anyone is interested in seeing them.
Reply #161
« on: June 23, 2006, 06:47:28 AM »
Sissi Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

I agree with you Agneshen, Charlotte life seems to be quite a mystery! Nobody knows for sure what went through in their bedroom, what calls on my attention is the fact that she was a quite stable woman, she had her feet on the ground, she did made a mistake in going to Mexico, but still she was a very capable woman, she was intelligent and courageous, what could have possibly shake her so badly that she lost her mind.I know that the thought Max being in danger and the lost of the throne might have stressed her out or even given her a depression. But she lost her mind in such a rapid way that it is just weird to me... I don`t think there was sign of her mental illness before she went to Mexico. She was loosing her mind before Max execution!

In my opinion I do not believe in the theory of poison, why would anybody want to poison her??? and in Europe?? She had no political power in Europe.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Sissi » Logged
Reply #162
« on: June 23, 2006, 09:06:34 AM »
Agneschen

Charlotte is said to have been poisoned before she left Mexico. Once again there are several theories on how and why. According to some, she was poisoned because she meddled too much in political affairs and the men around her wanted to get rid of her. Some claim it was done because an heir was needed and Charlotte was reputed to be frigid - they thought that by drugging her, it would help in the matter. Others claim that it was done out of sheer jealousy by one of Max's Mexican mistresses.  It is said to be a poison, known in Mexico, which given in high doses, kills but, given in small doses, makes the victim go mad. All this seems rather fanciful to me but as there are no proof in one way or another, again, who knows ?

As for me, until further proof is brought to light, I will keep on thinking that the blackest and most utter despair caused her to loose her reason. Charlotte had a troubled childhood and her character altered a lot after she lost her beloved mother. She became moody & secretive, would not confide in anyone or let any of her thoughts sweat through. This worried her grandmother Queen Marie Amélie. I think she went through a lot of hardship in Mexico, both public (the Empire was sinking) and private (Max's estrangement from her, her father's death ...). She was lonely and isolated (people around her thought her regal but haughty & cold), with no friend to confide in, and probably depressive.  
She was only a woman and, as such, considered a political nonentity (when he realised that she handled public affairs better than he did, Max became very suspicious). Her husband was drifting away from her and she had no children to give a goal & meaning to her existence. The only thing she could cling to was the Mexican scheme. She was ready to bleed & fight for it (hence the memorandum she wrote to Max on the subject of abdication). When it began to loom on her that nothing could be done to save her empire, she must have felt the blow terribly. Besides, she was the one who had forced Max to accept the Mexican crown and probably felt guilty. I think it was too much for her and she simply let go. We are not equal in front of hardship - some people go through Hell and are still able to stand on their 2 feet while other break down at the simplest thing.
There is a very interesting book in French by Laurence van Yperseele called Une Impératrice dans la Nuit. It is a publication of letters Charlotte wrote after she lost her reason. Her failure in Mexico is omnipresent and seems to be coming up in her thoughts again and again.  In some of these letters, she imagines that she is turning into a man and says : "To become a man is like being born a second time". Maybe she thought that, had she been a man, she would have been allowed to deal with the Mexican affairs and could have save her empire from ruin. But she was just a woman.
There is still the theory that she was not mad but only pretended to be (60 years of pretence seems a pretty long time though). IMO A sane woman could not have written such letters. Reading them is a strange experience, highly interesting but they almost give you the creep.
Reply #163
« on: June 24, 2006, 06:34:36 AM »
Kaiserin Sissi Offline
I Love Sissi and Franz Josef Posts: 78

View Profile WWW

Does anybody have pictures about Paula von Linden the daughter of the ambassador of Wurttemberg in Vienna, and first love of Maximilien ( I don' know if this question can be start in this Topic or not ? )
Reply #164
« on: June 25, 2006, 01:09:11 PM »
Kaiserin Sissi Offline
I Love Sissi and Franz Josef Posts: 78

View Profile WWW

Does anybody have pictures about the ladies in  Waiting of Empress Charlotte of Mexico,in Belgium (When she was Princess) in Wien and in Mexico ?

Thanks          Kaiserin Sissi
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: