Author Topic: About Ortino's Origin  (Read 9616 times)

Offline theREALortino

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
About Ortino's Origin
« on: March 31, 2005, 05:32:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided I would pick the busiest forum. Sorry if this isn't the right place.

So my topic is about the bulldog Ortino. My surname is Ortino, and from what I understand it isn't a very common name. I was wondering if anyone could give me some background on where the dog would get a name like mine. To the best of my knowledge my ancestors lived in Rome, Italy and I also had some family in Milan in the north.

I was born and raised in Toronto, Canada and I don't know much otherwise. Through some research I have noted a small outpost in Sibera also named Ortino, likely after the dog.

So I was wondering what the origin of Ortino's name was. Any interesting history or is this just a coincidence?

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
Re: About Ortino's Origin
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 05:39:02 PM »
I actually thought the dog was 'Ortipo', but there is some confusion. I have seen the Empress write it as Ortipo sometimes, Ortino other times. The Russian cursive p looks like English n. Can someone clarify the actual name of the dog? I very much doubt a town in Siberia would be named for GD Tatiana's pet dog somehow!

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 08:18:08 PM »
I heard that Ortino (Or Ortipo) was an author or dignitary of some sort, and the children liked his plays so they named the dog after him. This was discussed in the Final Chapter thread under the wherabouts of the dogs after the IF's murder.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by moonlight_tsarina »
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 10:08:27 PM »
Ortino was named for Dmitri Malama's favorite pet; Malama gave Tatiana the dog.  I believe Ortino was his own dog (or was it a horse?  I forget).  Anyway, she named her doggy Ortino to please her crush!

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 10:48:23 PM »
How very original you were in terms of username choice.

I actually thought the dog was 'Ortipo', but there is some confusion. I have seen the Empress write it as Ortipo sometimes, Ortino other times. The Russian cursive p looks like English n. Can someone clarify the actual name of the dog? I very much doubt a town in Siberia would be named for GD Tatiana's pet dog somehow!

From what I know, the dog's name is Ortino, not Ortipo. It was misspelled, for as you said, the Russian p is looks like an n.  Perhaps the name is French? It was a french bulldog after all.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 11:02:16 PM »
From the book about ALexei by Eugenie of Greece, Tatiana named Ortino after Dmitri Malama's horse who was also named Ortino...  From something I'm writing about TN:

During her time working as a nurse, Tatiana befriended a young wounded soldier named Dmitri Malama.  He often spoke to Tatiana about his favorite French bulldog named Roja, and his favorite horse which he had named Ortino.  Tatiana commented to him in passing that she, too, wished she could have a dog like Malama’s.  As a gift to his friend, Malama gave Tatiana a little French bulldog whom she named Ortino to please the handsome young soldier (Greece 133).  

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 01:20:49 AM »
Ortino was the  hero of the Shaekspire's one comedy (Twelve night , Isuppose) , maybe the name came from there.

I have found the photo with the same looking dog, which was Marie Pavlovna's one.
It seems that it was the fashionable type of the dog those times.

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 08:08:38 PM »
Thanks for the infor Lanie.
It would be cool to see a picture
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Arianwen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 10:23:22 AM »
Ortino was the  hero of the Shaekspire's one comedy (Twelve night , Isuppose) , maybe the name came from there.

Actually, not to nitpick, but the character is Duke Orsino, and you're quite right about him being from 'Twelfth Night'. He's not so much the hero as the love interest of the heroine, who has to go through no end of trouble to fend off Olivia, the woman Orsino is courting, and make Orsino fall in love with her while pretending to be a lad. I'm sorry for being so picky, that just happens to be one of my favourites of his comedies, and Viola is still my favourite role to play. Binding my chest wasn't so fun, but the role itself is SUCH a joy! ;D

Good Lord, how I miss my Shakespeare company...:'(

Regards,
Arianwen

Offline theREALortino

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 01:37:59 PM »
Hello all,

So, it has been over ten years since I posted this. I think about it sometimes that it was likely that the dog's name was phonetically "Ortipo."

I tried a quick search to find the Siberian region named "Ortino" however, I was unable to locate it. I had previously found it in Google maps, I remember that clearly. BTW there seems to be a reference to it in Arctic Archaeology by Peter Rowley-Conwy and Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, Volume 36 Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research, University of Colorado-Boulder, 2004

"... indicating climate and tree-line changes derived from a ... seciton at Ortino in the Pechora lowland, northern Russia."

Any updates in the last little while? ;)  Just thought I'd say "Hi," and best wishes to all you history buffs and thanks to all who replied!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:41:08 PM by theREALortino »