Author Topic: What was the fate of Petersburg Palaces in 1917  (Read 5445 times)

Offline seamus_o_brien

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
What was the fate of Petersburg Palaces in 1917
« on: April 02, 2005, 08:08:31 AM »
i would like to thank everyone who has helped me with my research for my masters thesis on the aristocracy during russian revolution.  The information you provided me with was very helpful and interesting.

I was wondering does anyone have information on the following palaces, who lived in them and were they all attacked during the revolution.  

The Menshikov Palace,  the Shuvalov Palace, Kikin mansion, Nikolayevsky Palace, Mikhailovsky Palace, Belozersky Palace, the Stroganoff palace.  Does anybody know if the Anichkov Palace was plundered.   I would appreciate any information

Thanks again for all your help  

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: What was the fate of Petersburg Palaces in 191
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 11:18:12 AM »
The Menshikov Palace housed, before October 1917, the museum of the 1st Cadet Corps. During the revolution its collections and a richly decorated church were plundered. Since 1918, the building belonged to the Military Political school, and then to the military  academy of transportation and logistics [size=10][btw, it was thanks to his refresher course at that academy that my grandfather was saved whereas all his colleagues in the Far-Eastern military railway command perished in 1938]. [/size]

The Anichkov Palace was requisitioned by the Ministry of Food Supply in March 1917 and remained intact in October. In 1918 it was converted to the City of Petrograd Museum, and since 1937 was used as the Young Pioneers Palace.

Offline londo954

• Graf
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 08:48:44 PM »
The Michael Palace was the Russian Museum before the revolution and remains that to this day. Beloselsky Belosersky was used as a communist Part Headquarters (according the Kennets "Palaces of St. Petersburg") and is now a wax museum I am told.
Mathlide Kesshinksy's estate was taken over by teh bolsheviks after it was pundered on the eve of teh reolvution. The Yelagin Palace on the Moika I beleive was truned over to the Union of Transportation workers I believe.
There is a book called "Empty Palaces" or something along that line that I saw only once that talks about the fate of these buildings and their art collections.

Offline seamus_o_brien

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 05:47:04 AM »
Thanks ever so much for your help, the information is very helpful

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 11:32:29 AM »
Beloselysky - Belozersky now  is used as concert hall and
the City Tourist Information Bureau is located there too.