Author Topic: Prince Alexander of Battenberg/Bulgaria  (Read 29422 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Prince Alexander of Battenberg/Bulgaria
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 09:12:07 PM »
Thanks so much PrinceC. They really seem to have fallen off the end of the royal world.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 01:44:37 AM »
Does anyone know what happened to his widow Johanna Loisinger or their children Arsen (1890-1965) and Zvetana (1893-1935 )? Did they maintain much contact with their Hesse/Greek/Mountbatten relations? I can't imagine they were discriminated against given 1) how much Sandro was loved and 2) the fact that the family was a morganatic branch themselves.

As far as I know, Sandro never saw his mother Julie again after his marriage to Johanna. But that wouldn't necessarily mean that they didn't write to eachother. But I don't know about that. One documented date: August 1908, Assen is visiting his aunt Marie in Schönberg.  

Johanna von Hartenau is burried in Graz. As well as Zwetana  who died 1935. (cause of death?)
Between WW I & II, Assen was working diplomaticly.  But where and what exactly (Diplomat/Secretary?) I don't know.  
After WWII he belonged to the finance ministry/office in Wien. He died 1965 .

Johanna evolved into a highly recognised pianist, working with Bruckner and Mahler and others in Wien and in Graz. In WW I it is said that she did charity work.

Greetings

VN

PS.  
In 1895 Johanna visited Queen Victoria in Nice (QV being there on vacation). QV wrote:  

"Yesterday poor dear Sandro's widow came to see me. Ludwig brought her; & I was so pleased with & touched by her. She is so handsome, so pleasing & so very distinguée. But she looks so sad.  She was very much upset at seeing me. " ( I guess that means that Johanna was crying?!)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by VN »

Offline dvoretzky

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 03:37:14 AM »
It's really a pity that Bismarck objected to Prince Alexander's marriage with German Princess Victoria...

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 06:56:38 AM »
It's really a pity that Bismarck objected to Prince Alexander's marriage with German Princess Victoria...

It was really a GREAT PITY for Viktoria (Moretta). I am doubt  that Alexander was dying to marry her and make a crowd of enemies.

Offline popov_2000

• Veliko Turnovo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 12:20:08 AM »
Johanna von Hartenau is burried in Graz. As well as Zwetana  who died 1935. (cause of death?)
Between WW I & II, Assen was working diplomaticly.  But where and what exactly (Diplomat/Secretary?) I don't know.

WOW. You are the only person who was able to tell me where Johanna von Hartenau was actually buried.

Do you know if she is buried in a Church or a Cemetery?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by popov_2000 »

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 04:33:13 AM »
Johanna is buried on the "Grazer St.-Leonhard-Friedhof". Zwetana is also buried there. Her grave is located on the Cemetarywall, backside of Riesstraße. (Riesstreet).

I've never been there, got the information from the Stadtarchiv in Graz, but I have a picture of Johannas Grave, well actually just a copy of a picture.

Maybe someone in the Forum is from Austria/Graz?? I'd like to go there one day, I'm trying to seduce my husband to go there on holiday. But unfortunatly he's  a "Surf dude".

;)

Greetings
VN

Offline lancashireladandre

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 06:54:18 AM »
At one time Bismark suggested that Alexander should marry a Orthodox heiress to cement his position,both by religion and with cash to help smooth his path. The unmarried Zenaida  Youssoupoff was the greatest prize fitting the catagory.Her father Prince Nicholas Borisovitch was approached. The Prince may have had dreams of seeing his daughter on a throne but it was not one as shaky as the Bulgarian. Also he may have been warned by the Russian goverment so it (and any other plans Sandro may have had)came to nothing.....

Offline popov_2000

• Veliko Turnovo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 10:57:54 AM »
Johanna is buried on the "Grazer St.-Leonhard-Friedhof". Zwetana is also buried there. Her grave is located on the Cemetarywall, backside of Riesstraße. (Riesstreet).

I've never been there, got the information from the Stadtarchiv in Graz, but I have a picture of Johannas Grave, well actually just a copy of a picture.

Maybe someone in the Forum is from Austria/Graz?? I'd like to go there one day, I'm trying to seduce my husband to go there on holiday. But unfortunatly he's  a "Surf dude".

;)

Greetings
VN

WOW

Can you post the picture. That would be incredible. I never thought that someone had an actual picture. Please.

How would the names of the locations be translated in English?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by popov_2000 »

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2006, 07:26:44 AM »
Is there a picture of Pr. Alexander's wife and children ?

Offline popov_2000

• Veliko Turnovo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
Is there a picture of Pr. Alexander's wife and children ?

Alexander and Johanna, with one of their children, I believe Asen.

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006, 12:08:18 PM »
The picture shows Asen and his parents. Zwetana was born on the 24. October 1893, four weeks later her Father Alexander died in Graz where they lived. This child on the picture is older than 4 weeks.

Very sad, thinking about it. It must have been horrible for Johanna.  Marie von Erbach-Schönberg (Sandro's sister) writes in her Memoires about the situation coming to Graz shortly after Sandro passed away. Johanna refused to eat, everybody was also very worried about her.

And then Marie had promissed Sandro (on the last time they saw eachother on a holiday in Italy April 1893 Florence /Venice) , if he should die and the Bulgarian Government would want him to be buried in Sofia, she would have to  arrange that.  As we all know this was the case and so Marie had the task to talk with Johanna about it and negotiate between her and the bulgarian delegation.  Very hard situation for everybody. But in the end Johanna agreed, even though she knew that she would never be buried next to her beloved husband.

Offline popov_2000

• Veliko Turnovo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 10:04:40 AM »
The picture shows Assen and his parents. Zwetana was born on the 24. October 1893, four weeks later her Father Alexander died in Graz where they lived. This child on the picture is older than 4 weeks.

Very sad, thinking about it. It must have been horrible for Johanna.  Marie von Erbach-Schönberg (Sandro's sister) writes in her Memoires about the situation coming to Graz shortly after Sandro passed away. Johanna refused to eat, everybody was also very worried about her.

And then Marie had promissed Sandro (on the last time they saw eachother on a holiday in Italy April 1893 Florence /Venice) , if he should die and the Bulgarian Government would want him to be buried in Sofia, she would have to  arrange that.  As we all know this was the case and so Marie had the task to talk with Johanna about it and negotiate between her and the bulgarian delegation.  Very hard situation for everybody. But in the end Johanna agreed, even though she knew that she would never be buried next to her beloved husband.

I do hope that someday Countess Johanna will be buried next to her husband.

Offline boyar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 08:28:55 AM »
A pictures of Alexander I from the National Museum in Sofia. I am sorry that the flash of the camera is on the way.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by boyar »

Offline boyar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 08:31:59 AM »
Here is another picture of Alexander I. Once again the flash is creating a problem because of the glass.

Offline boyar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 03:10:18 PM »
Can someone post porters of Ludwig II of Hesse and Wilhelmine of Baden, grandparents of Alexander I.