Author Topic: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita  (Read 170637 times)

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2004, 04:42:27 AM »
apparently Ducky hated her teeth which is possibly why she always looks a bit miserable in most of her photos.

What was wrong with her teeth?

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 08:23:51 AM »
John van der Kiste has included a photo of Ducky which was taken in the 1920's (I think during her visit to the States - can't quite remember).  In this photo she is absolutely beaming and showing her teeth.  The photo is a grab shot, in direct contrast to the posed formal portraits that comprise most of the known likenesses of Ducky.
Next to the photo he asserts that she hated her teeth but gives no further elucidation on the matter.  Judging from her smile, I can only assume that she was conscious of their size, as they appear even and healthy as far as I can make out.

'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

elisa_1872

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 05:26:17 AM »
I got a book recently which had in it two rare documents that i thought you might like to see.

One was the menu of the wedding breakfast held at Coburg for the marriage of Ernst Ludwig and Ducky.

" Jeudi, le 19 Apvil 1894. Diner.

Nuitres. Rossolnik clair. Petits pates a la russe. Pains de volaille a la Perigeux. Filetes de soles frits, charon. Selle de mouton a la duchesse. Vol-su-vent a la financiere. Petits aspics de foie gras. Pintades rotis Salade. Peches a la Conde. Glace a la vanille"

Music programme at the state banquet before the wedding.

"Hochzeitsmarch - Sommernachtstraum" Mendelssohn
Jubel Ouverture Weber
Fantasie "Die Walküre" Wagner
Fackeltanz von Ihrer Hoheit der Prinzessin Marie von Sachsen Meiningen
Introduction "Lohengrin" Wagner
Toreador - Rubenstein
Galatea-Walzer von Sr Königliche Hoheit dem Herzog Alfred von Sachsen Coburg und Gotha
Fantasie - Maseagui
Gavotte - Giese
Des Großen Kurfürsten Reitermarsch - Moltke

The book also has several interesting engravings, one of the Coburg wedding, with Queen Victoria embracing Ducky, another of the couple leaving in the morning, another of the choir serenading the royals.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 09:10:25 AM »
" Jeudi, le 19 Apvil 1894. Diner.
Nuitres. Rossolnik clair. Petits pates a la russe.

Interesting: they served a typically Russian soup (that I believe was unlikely to be found at any European court) - obviously as a token of the bride's Russian roots.

elisa_1872

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 01:08:06 PM »
Would that be the book Louisa - Lady-in Waiting? I have it too - heaps of photos. I hadn't seen this engraving of the wedding at Coburg before, but I like it because it tells such a human story: "Granny congratulating her grand-daughter", and grand-son of course.

Elisa, have you discovered Alix in this engraving?

Dear Helen!  :)

It would indeed be this book -  i found it so interesting, so many royal photographs in amongst those of the family of Louisa. I too like the engraving, but like you, i was interested in finding of course Alix in it. Sadly at the moment, i've been peering, and can't quite make her out - i saw a few possibilities - Nicholas is to the left of the engraving, im sure. But as yet i can't find Alix :( Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by elisa_1872 »

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004, 12:24:03 PM »
Concering Ducky and Ernie's divorce, did the divorce settlement allow Ducky to keep any jewelry?  I know I have seen pics of her in a tiara that Alice wore, and that Onor subsequently wore, so I know that was retained within the Hessian family.  Was the emerald diadem she wore at her first wedding her own personal propery or was that too a Hessian piece?  Many thanks!

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
    • GonDan's Royalty Family Trees
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 06:56:20 AM »
From what I know the baby's death only helped to deteriorate the couple's already difficult relationship. After all, a year later they were already divorced, but I doubt another child would have saved the disastrous marriage. I feel sorry for their daughter Elisabeth.

bluetoria

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 07:00:16 AM »
Were they not divorced BEFORE Elizabeth's death? I think they divorced in 1901...almost as soon as they could after QV's death.
BTW. Cimbrio, I'm not being pedantic, or correcting you...just thinking  :))
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by bluetoria »

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 07:35:51 AM »
Were they not divorced BEFORE Elizabeth's death? I think they divorced in 1901...almost as soon as they could after QV's death.
BTW. Cimbrio, I'm not being pedantic, or correcting you...just thinking  :))

Bluetoria,

I believe you are correct.  They divorced before Elizabth's death.  ASAP after the death of QV.

TampaBay
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by TampaBay »
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline allanraymond

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Monarchies of Europe
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2005, 06:30:33 PM »
PS) Also managed to find out the exact date the little brother was born+ -

"May 25th.1900"

Elisa+

Marlene Eilers - Queen Victoria's Descendants also gives the same date of 25 May 1900.

Ernie and Ducky divorced on 21 December 1901.

Allan Raymond  

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2005, 08:16:15 PM »
There was a throwaway line about the pregnancy (not the loss) in a letter Vicky wrote to Sophie in early 1900:

'I suppose you know that Victoria Battenberg and May are expecting babies, so with Ducky's, Irene's and MIssy's , Grandmama will have 5 new babies to welcome in 1900.'

Those children would be:
Victoria B: Louis (Earl Mountbatten)
May (later Queen Mary): Henry (Duke of Gloucester)
Ducky: stillborn
Irene: Henry (d. 1904)
Missy: Marie 'Mignon' (later Queen of Yugoslavia)

It's interesting (to me anyway  :) ) to see who all were contemporaries.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 08:45:10 PM »
From QV to VMH

June 10 1900
'I have not written to you about the disappointment at Darmstadt. I hope however that as she is so much stronger we shall have another Event before too long which will repair this blow!' [In the footnote the author notes: The blow refers to a miscarriage or stillbirth suffered by Ducky...It was probably not the only one in her brief first marriage for she was wild in her ways and rode hard even when pregnant. This mishap may have hastened the end of the marriage....]
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

bluetoria

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2005, 02:49:51 AM »
Cimbrio, my previous post totally missed the point, didn't it??  :-[ Sorry!  :)

Offline Speedycat

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 11:01:00 AM »
As this is a rather old topic...last post being in November 2004.......... I am sure that is the reason the photos are no longer visible.  If possible could they be re-posted?  I would love to see them. Or PM them to me so not to waste space here.
In regards to Ernie and Ducky after the divorce.  At some point in time were they perhaps in Russia at the same time...after Ducky and Cyril were allowed to return and during one of Ernie's several visits to Alix?  It would be interesting to know if they ever encountered eachother, although I am sure Alix avoided Cyril and Ducky in Russia as much as possible.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
I'am always asking myself why Alix changed her mind abouth Ducky. She hated her ex-sisther-in-law, but in the many books I own you can read between the lines, that when they (Cyril en Ducky) returned to Russia Alix had contact with the couple and that they meet. I even saw one time a picture were both the ladies and their familie are together on the same picture. I thought I saw it in the Alexei-Forum.