Author Topic: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita  (Read 170627 times)

Offline Speedycat

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2005, 01:03:25 PM »
 :o OMG, I'd love to see that photo.  I am off to search for it now.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2005, 09:53:58 AM »
Concering Ducky and Ernie's divorce, did the divorce settlement allow Ducky to keep any jewelry?  I know I have seen pics of her in a tiara that Alice wore, and that Onor subsequently wore, so I know that was retained within the Hessian family.  Was the emerald diadem she wore at her first wedding her own personal propery or was that too a Hessian piece?  Many thanks!

Does anyone have any information on the divorce settlement?

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2005, 03:25:56 PM »
All I've found so far regards Elizabeth:

'An important provision of the divorce settlement was the future of Princess Elizabeth, now six. It was decided that she would spend six months a year with each parent, and that upon her eighteenth birthday she would return permanently to Darmstadt.'

I don't think Ducky took much of anything with her--I think she wanted no links with her old life. Her daughter was her last one and when she died that was it. I don't think Ducky ever even visited her grave.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2005, 03:28:07 PM »
"At the funeral [of Elizabeth] she took her Hessian Order, an elaborate badgelike medallion, and placed it on Elizabeth's coffin to show to the world that 'she had made a final break with her old home.' "

Finelly

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2005, 03:36:15 PM »
Victoria did not pressure or approve of the marriage between Missy and Ferdinand, which took place before Ducky's marriage.  That was the result of work by their mother.  Victoria wrote to her daughter Vicky that it was a lousy idea altogether.

I think both Ducky and Ernie were glad and relieved to divorce.  Ernie may have loved Ducky as a chum, but it's quite clear that not only did they not know each other very well when they married, but that both of them were under pressure from the family to marry.  There's no indication of warm feelings after the marriage.  

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2005, 04:09:38 PM »
I don't know about Ernie--he fought the divorce at first. He may have been relieved in hindsight since he found much more happiness with Onor but at the time I think he was reluctant for a variety of reasons, not least being the effect on Elizabeth.

Finelly

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2005, 04:48:10 PM »
Yeah, he objected at first.  Divorce back then was a shocking scandal, which he didn't need, given his history with the stableboys, lol

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2005, 10:34:47 AM »
Alix was always more flexible in family affairs and scandals than Nicholas.  I suppose she had seen so many in her own family - like her father's remarriage, her brother's personal challenges, etc...

Alix accepted or overlooked  the most incredible lapses of judgement among her close friends, servants and family.  She wasn't a prude.  She could be very forgiving and understanding of human frailties when she wanted to or if she knew the person involved.

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2006, 04:09:14 PM »
Resently I read some letters in a book which is published annualy by the Hessische Staatsarchive Darmstadt and the Historischen Verein für Hessen. They are in an article concerning  the divorce of Ernst-Ludwig & Victoria.

They are written between 8. Nov 1901 - 11. Nov 1901.

Following is a little summary:

Henry von Preußen writes to his brother Wilhelm II, to inform him "unoffically" about the upcoming divorce before Wilhelm will be informed by his envoy.

He writes (My freestyle translation)

- on the male side not capabel to sadisfy such a passionate woman like Duckie. This situation became worser by the arbitrary character of the spouse, she rejected her husband in decisive moments, then to long for him when he wasn't in the mood  

Prinz Hohenlohe-Öhringen (Envoy) writes to Berlin:

- Neither one of the sides is to be blamed, basically the different tempers and characters of the couple make it impossible to live together.  (He mentions the impotenz of the grandduke and that this doesn't makes the whole situation easier).

- Ernie writes to his cousin Wilhelm, that this is the best for Duky, anything else would destroy her. The other reason would be for his country (Ernie wasn't really able to fullfill his duties as sovereign caused by his emotinal stress, whats really understandable)  

Now WII writes back, (really nasty letter for my feelings)

In the beginning bla bla about the reaction of the hessian country loosing their "Landesmutter" and then

- The whole desaster would be Ernies fault, he never should have pushed Ducky to marry him. She was so young (17).  Now her hopes and wishes didn't come true and she feels unsadisfied and played the role of a coat stand, which he (Ernie) decorated with jewels and diamonds to show of infront of the world.  This really hurt her.  Wilhelm goes on the hail Duckies character (he admits not only passionate but also thourough/grand) which needed a man and master and this she definitly didn't find in Ernie!
He mentions Ernies letter asking Wilhelm to be his confidant/Friend in this situation. Wilhelm reassures him that he is Ernies friend, but starts to go on and complain about the whole Hessen Familie, how bad they treated him, espacially at their last meeting in Wolfsgarten (1896).

' They treated me like a stranger, for your sisters I was a horror (gräuel is the german word he uses), because they became foreigners and forgot that they are from Hessen/German.  My hopes to find a second home in Hessen vanished quickly and I feld very hurt and rejected, simple because I was "uncomfortable" for you'

Then Wilhelm blames Ernie again, for not asking him for help. Her he also blames Henry (his brother) for not telling him earlier.

There is also a letter in the article from Ernie to Victoria (in english), his sister. It is a very moving one. I don't know if it would be ok to copie it here (type it down) concerning the copyright etc. It is from the Archive part that is not open for the public.  But If anyone is interested in this article, you can buy the book, I guess over the www. hvfh.de  ; the issue  "Neue Folge 63. Band 2005"

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by VN »

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2006, 02:15:08 AM »
it's interensting that wilhelm showed such good opinion on ducky in this letter... i mean, the edinburghs did not have the best image at berlin...  :-/
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2006, 07:30:51 PM »
Ducky was actually quite popular in Berlin and at Court. She and Dona (surprisingly) got along very well. It's not surprising (especially considering the bitter feelings Wilhelm had after his failed suit of Ella) that he would side with Ducky over Ernie.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2006, 03:47:11 AM »
Ducky was actually quite popular in Berlin and at Court. She and Dona (surprisingly) got along very well.

I think they got  along well only while Ducky  was Ernie's wife.  :-/

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2006, 04:20:39 AM »
"At the funeral [of Elizabeth] she took her Hessian Order, an elaborate badgelike medallion, and placed it on Elizabeth's coffin to show to the world that 'she had made a final break with her old home.' "

Maybe she didn't do this as an act of 'breaking with her old home/life'.
I could imagine that this was more an act of showing her respect bzw. honoring her daughter a last time.

I just don't think that Victora Melita  was so cold hearted in the way she always appears or is shown.

For my feeling both, Ducky and Ernie where tragic figures, basically trying to please their grandmother and maybe even other family members by getting married.  And didn't they get along very well before the marriage. I think I read something about that in the letters from QV to VMH ?!  But as we all know it takes a lot more work to keep up a good relationship.  

Greetings VN
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by VN »

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2006, 04:49:10 AM »
i've read somewhere[maybe in the Pakula book ,not sure though] that Ducky used to throw "things" at Ernst head  ;D  is this true?? if yes then she was a really "passionate" young lady ;)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2006, 06:54:20 AM »

I think they got  along well only while Ducky  was Ernie's wife.  :-/

This is probably true. I was referring to why Wilhelm would have taken Ducky's side so strongly during the initial days of the breakup.