Author Topic: Empress Elisabeth's brothers and sisters - pictures and information  (Read 125786 times)

Agneschen

Re: Empress Elisabeth's brothers and sisters - pictures and information
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2005, 05:03:19 AM »
Maria Sofia indeed had 2 daughters. An illegitimate one, called Daisy, who was raised by her father, the Belgian count Armand de Lawayss, and died young. The other one, Cristina-Pia, was her daughter by her husband, King Francesco II of Naples and died in Rome aged only a couple of months.
In his fanciful bio of Maria Sofia, Arrigo Petacco claims that she actually had 2 illegitimate daughters, Daisy and another little girl called Viola, who was adopted by Maria Sofia's brother Ludwig and became known as Marie Wallersee. Pure fancy of course.

On the 3rd pic I posted she is surrounded not by her children but by her Neapolitan sisters-in-law. They are all in mourning for King Ferdinando II of Naples.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Agneschen »

Offline Ildiko

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2005, 05:14:19 AM »
Maria Sofia indeed had 2 daughters. An illegitimate one, called Daisy, who was raised by her father, the Belgian count Armand de Lawayss, and died young. The other one, Cristina-Pia, was her daughter by her husband, King Francesco II of Naples.
In his fanciful bio of Maria Sofia, Arrigo Petacco claims that she actually had 2 illegitimate daughters, Daisy and another little girl called Viola, who was adopted by Maria Sofia's brother Ludwig and became known as Marie Wallersee. Pure fancy of course.

On the 3rd pic I posted she is surrounded not by her husband and children but by her Neapolitan sisters-in-law. They are all in mourning for King Ferdinando II of Naples.

The story with Daisy and Viola is totally bogus. Marie had two children one illegimate in 1862 and maybe the girls name was Daisy. But no one will ever know this as the child was given to its father who may or may have not been Armand de Lavalyss (there was also talk that it could've been Prince Nikolaus von Nassau)
Marie Wallersee is Ludwig's and Henriette Mendels child. They also had a son Karl Emmanuel who died shortly after birth. Marie Wallersee later married Count Georg Larisch-Mönnich and two others times.
Marie Wallersee and Daisy or whatever her name was weren't siblings. And of course the child Marie Sophie had was born in 1869 and died a few months later. There's a rather interesting Biography of Marie Wallersee by Brigitte Sokop (in German) where this story is also mentioned and even that Marie Wallersee and Viola were twins which of course is nonsense.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ildiko »

Agneschen

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2005, 05:24:16 AM »
Hi ildiko !
The fanciful rumours about Viola which Petacco evokes in his bio may, in some ways, have unvoluntarily been started by Marie Wallersee herself. In one of her books, Les Secrets d'une Maison royale (I only have the French translation, do not know what the original title was), she claims that her aunt Maria Sofia once brought her to meet a young girl called Daisy and that the 2 of them looked exactly like sisters.
I had never heard of any relationship between Nikolaus of Nassau and Queen Maria Sofia, he is never evoked in bios about her. Please, tell us more.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Agneschen »

Offline Ildiko

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2005, 05:33:54 AM »
Hi ildiko !
The fanciful rumours about Viola which Petacco evokes in his bio may, in some ways, have unvoluntarily been started by Marie Wallersee herself. In one of her books, Les Secrets d'une Maison royale (I only have the French translation, do not know what the original title was), she claims that her aunt Maria Sofia once brought her to meet a young girl called Daisy and that the 2 of them looked exactly like sisters.
I had never heard of any relationship between Nikolaus of Nassau and Queen Maria Sofia, he is never evoked in bios about her. Please, tell us more.

The story of Nikolaus and Maria Sofia is mentioned in the Sokop Biography of Marie Wallersee. Apparently while Maria was pregnant with her illegimate child is sent to Bad Soden where she meets Nikolaus. Sokop says that there never was an Armand de Lavalyss and that maybe his name was just made up to cover the name of the real father- Nikolaus of Nassau, that the name Lavalyss only suggested the country (Dynasty)where the father came from.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2006, 08:25:33 PM »
Nice photo of Nene...She was always richly dressed although it did not always right ? ???

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2006, 06:05:41 AM »
I read in the book Hofchronik by Marie Redwitz that Helene was the only one of the Bavarian sisters who didn't know how to dress. Her clothes must have looked strange.

But whenever you see Helene on a picture, she looks quite pretty.  :)
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Rani

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2006, 08:54:19 AM »
Marie Redwitz talked to much!  :D And by the way they didn´t like nene at all. I mean the ladies in waiting. Especially Marie Festetics.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2006, 10:56:58 AM »
Nene did look awakward in any photo I saw, Marie looked the most relaxed infront of a camera.  ???

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2006, 11:26:19 AM »
Marie Redwitz talked to much!  :D And by the way they didn´t like nene at all. I mean the ladies in waiting. Especially Marie Festetics.

That's nonsense. I am happy about every line Marie Redwitz has written. Do you have her book Hofchronik, Rani?

Elisabeth

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2006, 08:41:02 PM »
I didn't know that Nene was that unpopular ?  ???

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2006, 01:08:19 PM »
Marie Redwitz wrote that Helene was badly dressed, chaotic and very untidy. But I wouldn't say that she was unpopular. Everyone liked her, also because she spent lots of money on presents for her family, her siblings, nieces and nephews.

Elisabeth

Offline Daniela

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2006, 05:07:26 AM »
I kind of pitty Helene! :(

I mean, she lost her husband so quickly!  :'(

Daniela
Izberi svojo ljubezen, in ljubi svoj izbor!

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2006, 02:54:54 AM »
Yes...Especially hers was the only happy marriage among the sisters.  :(

Offline Paola

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2006, 08:22:02 AM »
What was the cause of death of Nene's husband?

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »
What was the cause of death of Nene's husband?

Maximilian Karl Anton Hereditary Prince of Thurn und Taxis died of a paralysis of the lungs.

Elisabeth