Author Topic: RUSSIAN ARISTOCRATS WANT REAL ESTATE RESTITUTION  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Charles

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
RUSSIAN ARISTOCRATS WANT REAL ESTATE RESTITUTION
« on: April 19, 2005, 09:57:25 AM »
An interesting article from today's news

Izvestia
April 19, 2005
RUSSIAN ARISTOCRATS WANT REAL ESTATE RESTITUTION
[from RIA Novosti's digest of the Russian press]

Some members of Russian aristocratic families, who owned palaces and mansions before the 1917 Revolution, have intervened in the upcoming
privatization of historical monuments in Russia.

They are indignant at the fact that the state is going to sell out their property. The members of the best-known noble families in Russia  the Obolenskys, Shakhovskois and others  have decided to hold a meeting in St.
Petersburg, where their ancestors lived.

According to Boris Turovsky, chief of the St. Petersburg department of the Russian Imperial Union-Order (an organization of Russian aristocrats living abroad), practically all buildings in the center of Russia's northern
capital have legitimate inheritors. Now that the sale of historical buildings begins in Russia, the state faces new problems. It looks like these buildings will have two owners  a purchaser and an heir, who will be
able to prove his property rights in an international court, Turovsky said.

"We simply want the state to admit officially that privatization in the 1920s was unlawful and apologize officially for driving people from their houses and country, humiliating them," Turovsky said.

In the opinion of Princess Vera Obolenskaya, a citizen of France, the Russian state should recognize the right of the heirs to take part in the fate of historical monuments. "We feel for Russia. We are of the Rurich
stock and are used to do something for our country during eleven centuries," said Prince Dmitry Shakhovskoi, who is also a citizen of France.

There can be two approaches to the aristocrats' claims, said Alexei Komech, one of Russia's most competent experts in the monuments of architecture, who heads the Art History Institute. Real estate may be returned to them under a general denationalization law, but such a law does not exist. And there is yet another possibility of doing this in keeping with the present
privatization laws  privileged restitution procedures may be used.

The demands of the heirs are supported by Alexander Chuyev, a member of the lower house of the Russian parliament. A moral assessment of nationalization should be made on the state level and apologies should be presented. And if historical monuments are privatized while the rights of their former owners are ignored, it will be unlawful, he said.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: RUSSIAN ARISTOCRATS WANT REAL ESTATE RESTITUTI
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 10:08:09 AM »
Charles, thank you so much for posting this interesting article! I've been waiting for something like this to happen.....IT IS ABOUT TIME!
My heart goes out to the Russian Noble famlies who really do own these properties.  After all the Banks of Europe have finally been forced to return the looted property to the Jews after WW II, now it is Russia's turn.
..Arleen

Offline James_Davidov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 06:54:03 AM »
I fully support the return of these palaces, however I'm concerned that these families do not have the resources to maintain and restore these palaces.

James
You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.
Queen Mary

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 10:43:35 AM »
They may be better off than the Russians to save these buildings. Anything lost is so sad.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 12:15:17 AM »
I believe it is beside the point as to whether or not aristocratic heirs could maintain their properties. Their property was stolen and must be returned. I'm sure the heirs will get things sorted out over time - and Russia may again join the community of nations by respecting private property rights.

Sunny

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 09:07:40 AM »
I believe it is beside the point as to whether or not aristocratic heirs could maintain their properties. Their property was stolen and must be returned. I'm sure the heirs will get things sorted out over time - and Russia may again join the community of nations by respecting private property rights.

Lisa, I agree.

Sunny

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 09:22:43 AM »
"We are of the Rurich stock and are used to do something for our country during eleven centuries," said Prince Dmitry Shakhovskoi, who is also a citizen of France.

LOL!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by olga »

ajv123ajv

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 01:06:11 PM »
I believe it is beside the point as to whether or not aristocratic heirs could maintain their properties.

Offline tobik

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 02:54:32 PM »
There's an article in today's Moscow Times by Vladimir Kovalyov on restituting the Palaces in Petersburg.  Should be on their website.