Author Topic: The Byzantine Empire  (Read 62601 times)

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
Re: The Byzantine Empire
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2006, 11:05:21 AM »
Having watched with intensity the visit of the Pope to the Ecumenical Patriarch, I was quite moved to watch the two brothers of Christ united under a single roof, and awed by the awesome mysteries that is my religion, Orthodoxy, and as I heard the hymns and Divine Liturgy, could only imagine what orthodoxy was like in the ancient days of Holy and Imperial Constantinople.

Quite a landmark visit by the Pope, and one by which I will remember for a long time.  Watching his entrance into St. George's, as incense was swung in front of both men, and hearing the blessing hymn of "Many Years" being sung in an Orthodox Church for the Pope, was very moving. 

To the day when the two churches are re-united!

REgards to all,
S

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2006, 11:22:32 AM »
What wonderful words! Thank you for posting this Iskenderbey!
I, Claudius

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2006, 06:10:23 AM »
Palimpsest,

Thank you for the many hours of work devoted to this thread.

If you are not on the payroll of the Turkish Tourist Commission you should be.

Again, thank you for all your efforts.  It is pure enjoyment.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2006, 07:35:05 PM »
Thank you Lady T!
I know I exaggerate, but I can't help it, I'm passionate about this stuff.  ;D

The Getty Center, Los Angeles
Holy Image, Hallowed Ground: Icons from Sinai
November 14, 2006 - March 4, 2007
http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/icons_sinai/index.html

This exhibition offers an unprecedented look at some of the oldest surviving icons from the Byzantine world, and provides rare insight into monastic life, past and present, at the remote Holy Monastery of Saint Catherine.

Lying in the shadow of Mount Sinai in Egypt, the Holy Monastery of Saint Catherine is the world's oldest continuously operating Christian monastery. Since the third century, monks have resided here, at the foot of the mountain where Moses is said to have encountered God. The present church and monastery walls were commissioned by the Byzantine emperor Justinian, who ruled over most of the Mediterranean region, including the Sinai peninsula, between 527 and 565.

Fifty-three objects have traveled from the monastery in Sinai for this exhibition. All were either commissioned by the monastery or received as gifts and have remained in the continuous care of generations of monks at Saint Catherine's.

Because of its geographic and political isolation from the Byzantine Empire, the monastery escaped the destruction of religious images that was sanctioned by Byzantine emperors during the period of Iconoclasm in the 700s and 800s. The veneration of icons continued uninterrupted at Sinai, and over the centuries the monastery both commissioned and received as gifts numerous icons, manuscripts, and liturgical objects.

Today, Saint Catherine's monastery is the world's largest repository of Byzantine icons. The works on display underscore the icon's central role in religious practice and introduce the public to the compelling history of Saint Catherine's.

The British Museum
Encounters: travel and money in the Byzantine world
until January 2007

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/cm/cmnoex.html

Byzantium and the Byzantine Empire are names given to the Eastern Roman Empire during the Middle Ages (5th to 15th centuries). Byzantines thought of themselves as Romans, and their imperial capital at Constantinople (now called Istanbul) was known as New Rome.
This exhibition examines the context and spread of Byzantine coins beyond the borders of the empire and how other peoples responded to Byzantine coinage.
It has been mounted in partnership with the Barber Institute of Fine Arts, University of Birmingham and a version will be on show there from February 2007 until January 2008. An accompanying book, Encounters: Travel and Money in the Byzantine World, by E. Georganteli and B. Cook, will be available from August.

List of Byzantine Museums and Collections in Greece

Museum of Byzantine Culture  -Thessaloniki

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 04:53:49 AM by Svetabel »
I, Claudius

Offline boyar

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2006, 09:43:48 PM »
Hello everybody,

Does anyone knows if the Convent of Kyra Martha in Constantinople still exists. And if it exists does, do you have pictures to share. Please share whatever information and pictures you have.

Thank you very much.

Offline boyar

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2006, 09:45:03 AM »
Hello palimpsest,

Thank you very much for this information. I would deeply appreciate if you post whatever pictures you have. It is important to me because the Convent of Kyra Martha is the final resting place of the Bulgarian Tsaritsa Theodora. Tsaritsa Theodora was the consort of Theodore Svetoslav, Tsar of Bulgaria and Michael III Shishman, Tsar of Bulgaria. She was the daughter of Michael IX Palaiologos, co-emperor of Byzantium (1295-1320) and Rita of Armenia (1278-1333). She was also the sister of Andronikos III Palaiologos, Emperor of Byzantium (1328-1341).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:47:49 AM by boyar »

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2006, 07:00:02 PM »
What do historians think it is???

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2006, 03:50:05 AM »
I don't know... yet ;D
I'll try to find out more, but since the church/mosque was completely demolished in 1943 I think there must be little to no recent study on the matter.

I'm going too far with this, isn't it?  ::)
Sorry, the passion is too great! ;D
I, Claudius