Author Topic: Swedish royal titles, ranks & orders  (Read 37665 times)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: Swedish royal titles, ranks & orders
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2005, 01:14:10 AM »
She looks like Drew Barrymore!

Does anyone else see this or am I just Carzy?

On second thought don't answer the question!  ;D ;D ;D

TampaBay

Or Drew Barrymore looks like Maria?   ;D Resemblance is evident in some photos. ;D

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2005, 02:25:26 AM »
Jeanne Tramcourt, mistress of Prince Wilhelm

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2005, 10:23:25 AM »
I don't know where the Wilhelm is gay rumors started but they've floated around a long time. There doesn't seem to be any real basis for it apart from the fact that he liked artistic things, didn't remarry and (as was so memorably said in Seinfeld) was thin and neat.  :)

The Gustav issue was fairly well-known I think due to the reasons listed above. That probably didn't help his already unhappy marriage to Victoria of Baden.

How sad for William and Jeanne.  :(  Shades of Leopold III and Queen Astrid.

It was virtually impossible for a Swedish royal to marry a commoner back then. A few sons of Daisy & Gustav did and it caused much family bitterness. Prince Bertil didn't marry his longtime love, Lilian a Welsh lady, for those reasons. He was the only son apart from his eldest brother 'Edmund' (who married Sybilla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) who was still suitable to inherit the throne. Edmund's son, the current King Carl Gustav, was just an infant and since women couldn't inherit then, if he had died and Bertil had married inappropriately, the throne would've gone to William. (This may also have played a role in William not marrying Jeanne) Despite the fact that Daisy gave her husband 4 sons, there was a real lack of suitable inheritors. As a reward for Bertil & Lilian's sacrifice (they had stayed together all those years but had been denied a family of their own) King Carl Gustav allowed them to marry and Lilian was granted the title of Princess and, while she is now widowed, is a much-loved figure in the family and still appears at public events despite her advanced age. She seems a surrogate grandmother to Victoria, Carl and Madeleine.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2005, 10:39:26 AM »
I just heard that Princess Lilian and Queen Ingrid were not close.

Back to Prince Wilhelm, I guess he is a good guy in the marriage with Grand Duchess Marie of Russia. Ella fixed her with a good man and a stable royal family. It was Marie who experienced racklessness in her life, and went into a lot of problems. Her life would have been very much worst had the Swedish Royal family had not come to her with financial aid.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2006, 12:53:42 AM »
Prince Wilhelm, his wife Maria Pavlovna and GD Boris Vladimirovitch in Siam (Thailand).

GD Boris (sitting)is 2d at the left, Maria Pavlovna is by his side. Prince Wilhelm is at the very right.
I wonder is that young man at back (at the very left) Prince Axel of Denmark? And who is a woman near Maria?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2006, 05:33:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it is Axel in the back and his sister Margarethe (who married Rene of Bourbon-Parma) near Maria. Waldemar is also in the front row. Alexander Teck (Earl of Athlone) is on the far left. Not sure who the center male is.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2006, 01:25:55 AM »
Are you sure about Margarethe? ??? That young woman has a little resemblance to her...though the picture is not very clear and big.
BTW, it's interesting that Denmark sent to King of Siam's coronation 3 members of the Royal family  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by svetabel »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2006, 10:41:06 AM »
I'm pretty sure. I never like to state it absolutely because then I'm invariably wrong.  :)

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2006, 12:21:21 PM »
Prince Wilhelm, his wife Maria Pavlovna and GD Boris Vladimirovitch in Siam (Thailand).

On another thread I found the following id:
back row l to r: Pr Axel of Dk, Price Fushimi-no-Miya of Japan, Pr Aage of Dk and Pr Erik of Dk
front row l to r: Pr Alexander of Teck, GDk Boris Romanov, Pss Maria Pavlovna (of Sweden), Pss Alexander of Teck, Pr Valdemar of Dk, Pr. Vilhelm of Sweden.                                                                                                                                              

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2006, 03:53:15 AM »
Alice of Athlone? Well, probably this is true! Thanks!

Rebecca

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2006, 06:15:30 PM »

GD Boris (sitting)is 2d at the left, Maria Pavlovna is by his side. Prince Wilhelm is at the very right.
I wonder is that young man at back (at the very left) Prince Axel of Denmark? And who is a woman near Maria?

This is indeed one of the most charming pictures I have ever seen of prince Wilhelm and Maria Pavlovna (and the other people look very nice too :)). I also think that the lady nexto to Maria Pavlovna is Alice of Athlone - it looks like her. :)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2006, 12:45:24 AM »
Yes, I'm wrong. See why I didn't want to say I was definitely sure.  ;)

Here's another caption:

Back row l to r: Prince Axel of Denmark; Prince Fushimi-no-Miya of Japan; Prince Aage of Denmark; and Prince Erik of Denmark

Front row l to r: Prince Alexander of Teck (Earl of Athlone), England; Grand Duke Boris Vladimirovich of Russia; Princess Marie of Sweden; Princess Alexander of Teck (Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone); Prince Valdemar of Denmark; Prince Vilhelm of Sweden

The photo was taken at King Vajiravudh's (Rama VI)coronation. Photo taken at Dusit Palace, December 1911.

It even gives descriptions:

Who were the Royals in the photograph?
(standing l. to r.)

1. Prince Axel Christian Georg of Denmark (1888-), second son of Prince Valdemar of Denmark (see No. 9), grandson of Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906), was married to Princess Margaretha Sofia Lovisa Ingeborg of Sweden (1899-1977).

2. Prince Fushimi-no-Miya of Japan (Prince Fushimi Sadanaru, 22nd Prince Fushimi-no-Miya) (1858-1923). The Fushimi-no-Miya is one of the four branch houses of the imperial dynasty entitled to provide a successor to the throne.

3. Prince Aage Christian Alexander Robert of Denmark, Greve af Rosenborg (1887-1940), eldest son of Prince Valdemar of Denmark (see No. 9), grandson of Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906), was married to Mathilde Emile Francesca Marie Calvi dei Conti di Bergolo (1885-1949).

4. Prince Erik Frederik Christian Alexander of Denmark (1890- ), third son of Prince Valdemar of Denmark (see No. 9), grandson of Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906), was married to Loïs Frances Booth (1897-1941) in Ottawa, Ontario, in 1924, divorced in 1937.
(seated l. to .r.)

5. Prince Alexander of Teck (Alexander Cambridge, 1st Earl of Athlone) (1874-1957), son of Francis, Duke of Teck and his wife, Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, and youngest brother of Queen Mary, consort of King George V of Great Britain, married to Princess Alice of Albany (see No. 8).

6. Grand Duke Boris Vladimirovich of Russia (1877-1943), son of Grand Duke Vladimir ROMANOV and Grand Duchess Marie PAVLOVNA, and grandson of Tsar Alexander II of Russia, married to Zenaida RASHEVSKA.  

7. Princess Marie of Sweden (Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna of Russia) (1890-1958), daughter of Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovich of Russia and Princess Alexandra of Greece and Denmark, and grand daughter of Tsar of Russia Alexander II Nicholaievitch, was married to Prince Vilhelm of Sweden (No. 10).

8. Princess Alexander of Teck (Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone) (1883-1981), daughter of Prince Leopold of Great Britain and Ireland and Princess Helene zu Waldeck und Pyrmont, and granddaughter of Queen Victoria, married to Prince Alexander of Teck (see No. 5).

9. Prince Valdemar of Denmark (1858-1939), son of Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906) and Luise, Princess of Hesse-Cassel (1817-1898), youngest brother of Frederik VIII, King of Denmark (1843-1912), was married to Princess Marie Amélie Françoise Hélène d'Orléans (1865-1909).

10. Prince Vilhelm of Sweden (1884-1965), son of King Gustaf V Adolf of Sweden and Princess Victoria von Baden, was married to Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna of Russia (ended in divorce). They had one son, Count Lennart Bernadotte af Wisborg.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2006, 01:00:41 AM »
Yes, I'm wrong. See why I didn't want to say I was definitely sure.  ;)

I see  :). Thanks for description.

Offline PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2006, 11:12:10 AM »
Prince Willam of Swedens correct name is Prince Carl Ludvig Wilhelm of Sweden, born 17 june 1884 of King Gustav V of Sweden and Princesse Victoria of Baden. He was married in 3 may 1908 with Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna of Russia 1890-1958 in Tsarskoje Selo, St. Petersburg  (ended in divorce, march 1914). They had one son, Count Lennart Bernadotte af Wisborg.

Prince Wilhelm and Grand duchess Marie Pavlovna lived in The Oak Hill and the Castle Stenhammar until divorce, moved Grand duchess Marie Pavlovna back to Russia and worked as voluntary nurse via at front and in 19 Sep 1917 marrige Grand duchess Marie Pavolna with Prince Sergej Michailovitj Putiatin in Pavlovsk, st. Petersburg. In the marrige born a son, Prince Roman Sergeievitch Putiatin, birth: 17 Jul 1918 in St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg - death: May 1919 in Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania. Grand duchess died at the castle Mainau 13 december 1958 as 68 year old.

Prince Wilhelm and Jeanne Tramcourt was common-law spouse from 1915 to 1952, and Jeanee Tramcourt was divorce from her marrige with sculptor Christian Eriksson. New year of 1952 died Jeanne in a car crash with Prince Wilhelm, who was driving the car himself.

Prince Wilhelm has not some rumours about homosexual, but Gustav V have a lot of rumours about his homosexual and to a certain extent of the rumours is confirmed!

Prince Wilhelm lived at castle Stenhammar in Flen, Sweden until his died in 1965 and the Castle is now owner of the swedish king.

Within "inherit" of the castle Mainau via Prince Wilhelm lived his son Prince Lennart in the castle, there his descents lived now.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by PeterB »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2006, 01:03:53 PM »
Thanks for the information on he and Jeanne. How sad to have been driving the car--shades of Leopold & Astrid.  :(

Mainau is extremely lovely. That's where the crypt for Marie and Dmtiri is, I believe. There was a book published some time ago (not extremely long though) on Mainau and its royal connections but I don't remember the name.  :-/ It was either in Swedish or German though.