Author Topic: Empress Maria Theresa and her large family  (Read 178585 times)

Offline RomanovFan

• Knyaz
  • THE BIG PAIR, 1914
    • View Profile
Empress Maria Theresa and her large family
« on: April 23, 2005, 12:30:09 PM »
Didn't her father King Charles leave her bankrupt when he died? I have a video series called ROYAL SECRETS. Catherine II was on it too...Maximilian of Hapsburg and King George and Caroline of Brunswick.
~LESLIE~

ROMANOV FAN SINCE 1997

bluetoria

Re: Empress Maria Theresa and her large family
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 05:21:34 AM »
Yes, Romanov_Fan. Her father had put most of the country's treasury into the war & there was little left for Maria Theresa, but he assumed that her husband would take power & she would be nothing more than a docile wife so he thought it didn't matter. He was quite mistaken. Maria Theresa ruled the country and her husband!!
(I think her daughter, Marie Antoinette, was a little terrified of her!!)

Agneschen

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 09:13:43 AM »
Here is a list of Maria-Theresia & Franz-Stefan's 16 children :

- Maria-Elisabeth (1737-40)

- Maria-Anna (1738-89)

- Maria-Karoline (1740-41)

- Josef II (1740-90), married to 1) Isabella of Parma 2) Josepha of Bavaria. His 2 daughters (Maria-Theresia "Reserl" and Maria-Christine) by his 1st wife both died in infancy.

- Maria-Christine "Mimi" (1742-98) married to Albrecht of Saxe-Teschen.

- Maria-Elisabeth "Liesl" (1743-1808)

- Karl-Josef (1745-61), the Empress's favourite son.

- Maria-Amalia (1746-1804) married to Ferdinando of Parma.

- Leopold II (1747-92) married to Infanta Maria-Ludovica of Spain. Their offspring reigned both over Austria as emperors and Tuscany (Austria-Tuscany line).

- Maria-Karoline (born and dead in 1748)

- Johanna-Gabriella (1750-62)

- Maria-Josefa (1751-67)

- Maria-Karoline "Charlotte" (1752-1814) married to Ferdinando IV of Napoli (aka Ferdinando I of the 2 Sicilies).

- Ferdinand (1754-1806) married to Maria-Beatrice of Este - hence the Austria-Este line.

- Maria-Antonia "Madame Antoine" (1755-93) aka Queen Marie-Antoinette of France. Our martyr queen.

- Maximilian-Franz (1756-1801), Elector of Cologne.

Empress Maria-Theresia (1717-80) had an elder brother Leopold (born and dead in 1716) and 2 sisters Maria-Anna (1718-44) and Maria-Amalia (1724-30). Maria-Anna was married to Franz-Stefan's brother Charles-Alexandre (1712-80) of Lorraine but it seems to me they had no children.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Agneschen »

Offline LenelorMiksi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 08:11:06 PM »
Does anyone know what illness ADss Marianna, MT's oldest surviving daughter, suffered from?  Are there any portraits of her?
Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse:  "Each year brings us nearer to the Wiedersehen [reunion with the dead], though it is sad to think how one's glass is running out, & how little good goes with it, compared to the numberless blessings we receive.  Time goes incredibly fast."

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 04:42:52 PM »
I would also like to know are there any portraits of Archduchess Maria Anna,sister of the Empress or her husband Prince Karl von Lothringen or Lorraine?

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 07:57:25 AM »
Archduchess Maria Anna:

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 08:07:32 AM »
Archduchess Maria Anna, Maria Theresa's daughter as a child in 1745:

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 08:15:56 AM »
Archduchess Maria Anna, daughter of the Empress in 1781:

Offline seriya

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 01:26:21 AM »
In her youth she was a beautiful woman, she had a pretty blue eyes, a clear porcelain complexion, and a thick mane of reddish-gold curls.

Prussian ambassador described her.
"Her eyes are very large, lively and mild. and their deep blue most striking. She has a regular nose. She has very white teeth,
and they are most charming when she laughs......Her demeanor is sprightly and happy, and her greeting always warm and pleasant."
(and she was a girl with a passion for dancing and card-playing all night.)

Elisabeth Christina of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel(empress's mother) was a great beauty. so she was like her mother?

Maria Theresa 11years old. She was a quite pretty.

And I think empress's daughters were beauties.
Does anyone have pictures of her daughters?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by seriya »
It's me!!
Love, Faith, Courage with these three we can win the world.-Marie

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 09:21:05 AM »
some more portraits:

same picture of young Maria Theresa by Andreas Moeller in colour (1727)

Archduchess Maria Anna, Maria Theresa's sister in 1727 (also by Moeller)

Maria Theresa's daughters:
Archduchess Marie Christine (1742-1798 ):

her self-portrait:

Maria Elisabeth (1743-1808 ):

Marie Amalie, Princess of Parma (1746-1804)

Maria Josepha (1751-1767):

Marie Caroline (Charlotte) (1752-1814), Queen of Naples:

Marie Antoinette (1755-1793), Queen of France in 1769 (by Ducreux)

by Meytens, 1767:

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 09:38:55 AM »
...and the whole family together (sorry for the bad quality)

1751, by Meytens:

1758, also by Meytens:

... and Christmas Eve (or boxing day?!  ???- I'm not really good at 18th century Christmas rituals :-[ ) BY Archduchess Marie Christine herself

(from left: Ferdinand, Marie Christine, Marie Antoinette, Emmanuel Max, Maria Theresa, Franz Stefan I.)

Offline trentk80

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 01:54:31 PM »
Are there any more portraits of Archduchess Marie Elisabeth?
Ladran los perros a la Luna, y ella con majestuoso desprecio prosigue el curso de su viaje.

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 11:11:52 AM »
Are there any more portraits of Archduchess Marie Elisabeth?

Sketch (chalk and pencil with watercolour) of Archduchess Marie Elisabeth by Swiss portrait painter Jean-Etienne Liotard:

The picture was made in 1762. It's part of a set showing Maria Theresa's children.
(so, here are some more pictures of MT's daughters ;D)

Marie Christine:

Marie Amalie:

Johanna Gabriella (1750-1762):

Marie Josepha (1751-1767):

Marie Karoline:

Marie Antonia:

...and the boys  :):

crownprince Joseph (1740-1790), (later Emperor Joseph II; 1780-1790)

Ferdinand (1754-1806)

Peter Leopold (1747-1792) (later Emperor Leopold II) ?

I'm a bit confused... I've found these portraits together (except of Joseph, also from 1762) on the website of a monographic exhibition of Liotard (Geneva, 2002). According to the website the last one shows "Pierre", it must be Peter Leopold (Maria Theresa had no son named simply "Peter" , but the boy doesn't look like a teenager [PL was already 15 in 1762!]).
Brigitte Hamann reproduces the following drawing in her Lexicon of the Habsburgs as the portrait of Peter Leopold. According to the swiss website it shows Archduke Karl Joseph, DIED IN 1761. So I believe Hamann, and I believe THIS is Peter Leopold:

Peter Leopold with brother Emperor Joseph II in 1769 by Pompeo Batoni to compare:

Agree?

(But who is "Pierre"? Is that Maximilian Franz (1756-1801), Elector of Cologne, Archbishop of Muenster [& Beethoven's patron as well...), MT's youngest son, aged 6 in 1762? Hard to find out:

(with sister Marie Antoinette & her husband Louis XVI of France)

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 02:58:28 PM »
I was reading biography of Maria Theresia and there was mention that Emperor Francis Stephan had loved certan Wilhelmine von Auersperg!There had been an interesting situantion during his funeral!When he died Maria Theresia ordered that all the ladies must not wear make up,witch Wilhelmine von Auersperg did!During his funeral the Empress came to her and said:''We both lost a great deal'' and also remarked about her wearing a make-up,when Wilhelmine angerly told the Empress:''I didn't know I got my face from the state...''!By saying this she was very rude to the Empress and I wondered who this woman might be?I did some reasearch and found one Wilhelmine von Auersperg,born Countess von Neipperg who lived at that time!If someone knows who she might be and if know something more about this please post-thanks!

Offline thijs

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 03:42:48 PM »
I have a book about "Habsburg ghost stories". I will look up the title later on and post it. I remember the story of the furstin Auersperg. She haunted some rooms in one of the wings of Schonbrunn. The empress Zita had it written down that she had seen the (haunting) furstin several times. It was known in the Habsburg family and to the palace staff that the rooms were haunted by furstin Auersperg.