Author Topic: Scandinavian royal residences  (Read 43109 times)

Offline maxofsweden

• View Profile
Re: Scandinavian royal residences
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 04:19:11 PM »
Parkudden was the summer palace of prince Carl and Ingeborg until 1905. It is situated in kungliga Djurgården, the royal park.
Lat: N 59º 19' 32.32" Long: E 18º 8' 54.64"  There's not much information about Parkudden, I know they had some nice garden parties there. Their main palace was near the royal palace, Arvfurstens palats. That palace was in need of the government, now residing the foreign ministry. The princely family now moved to a new built palace also in Djurgården, prins Carl's palace, and there was no need of Parkudden, just a few kms away. Around 1910 then prince Carl bought Villa Fridhem, near Norrköping, as the new summer palace, where the princesses Margareta, Märta and Astrid and prince Carl Jr spent their youth.

Parkudden is nowadays private.

A deo rex, a rege lex

Offline maxofsweden

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 05:33:16 PM »
Parkudden

A deo rex, a rege lex

Offline maxofsweden

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 04:44:21 PM »
Some recent pics of the royal palace, kungliga slottet.

A deo rex, a rege lex

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2008, 01:27:46 PM »
Parkudden

Taksemukke!Welcome to the Forum.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline maxofsweden

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 12:20:07 AM »
Thank you Lucien. You speak swedish as well? Nice,
A deo rex, a rege lex

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »
Thank you very much for the information and pictures! It looks a relatively unpretentious place.

Later at the Villa Fridhem:

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 06:39:40 AM »
The coachmen look very smart with their blue uniforms and cocked hats!

Offline SweetAngels

• "Damm the rules, make it an experiment"-BP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2009, 08:13:05 AM »
I don't think that Swedens has the larges palace in the Europe, but I not the right person to say because I not really sure. It depends on which palace you comper the palace in Sweden with. I think that the Swedish royal family prefer their palace  more as a place to relax from the busy days working in Kungliga Slottet i Stockholm,  but the place they prefer best is the summer resident in Öland called Solliden like the last Russian tsar family like their Livadia in the Crimea.

"He who knows best, never learns anything"~Henrik Tikkanen
"Wo man singt, da lass Dich ruhig nieder. Böse Menschen haben keine Lieder."~ J. C Seume

Offline Erika

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2009, 09:02:13 AM »
I don't think that Swedens has the larges palace in the Europe, but I not the right person to say because I not really sure. It depends on which palace you comper the palace in Sweden with. I think that the Swedish royal family prefer their palace  more as a place to relax from the busy days working in Kungliga Slottet i Stockholm,  but the place they prefer best is the summer resident in Öland called Solliden like the last Russian tsar family like their Livadia in the Crimea.

It is not the largest palace in Europe, but it is one of the largest still occupied palaces in Europe.

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 04:33:58 PM »
I suppose it depends on how you look at "size":

The largest palace in the world is Istana Nurul Iman (Brunei) with 1,788 rooms, and 2,152,782 square feet or 200,000 square meters
Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms, and 828,818 square feet or 77,000 square meters.
The Royal Palace of Madrid has 2,800 rooms, and 1,453,122 square feet or 135,000 square meters.
The Stockholm Palace has 609 rooms, but sadly I can't locate its interior footage / meter size.  Like Madrid's palace, Stockholm has many more floors (7 I believe), than Buckingham Palace.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Je Maintiendrai

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 03:33:11 AM »
Has there ever been a ballroom with a more romantic name than Vita havet, the White Sea, the ballroom of Stockholm Palace where Victoria's and Daniel will dance their wedding waltz? How evocative of unfullfilled imperial Swedish ambitions of Nordic dominance all the way up to the Arctic...

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 07:29:03 AM »
These are fantastic ThomB, thanks so much!  By chance does anyone know which rooms are which on the plans?  Not understanding Swedish myself, I'm not even sure which floor is which.

Offline ThomB

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
Glad you liked them. As plans go they are good ones, are they not?

The first plan is of the first floor (European style; 2nd floor American). The second plan is the second floor (European style; 3rd floor American).

There is a book on Google Books (in Swedish) that has excellent plans of a number of the Swedish country palaces including Drottningholm and Gripsholm Castle – three floors for each!

The thing about room nomenclature is that the use and names of the rooms changed somewhat over time, although the rooms at the top of the 2nd floor (European) plan are the state apartments of Gustav III and his queen, with the famous ‘White Sea Hall’ in the top right corner. The private rooms of Karl XIV Johan, the first Bernadotte monarch, run behind the state apartments. The rooms of Queen Désirée were below his on the 1st floor.