Discussions about Russian History > Rasputin

Stabbing of Rasputin in 1914

<< < (2/6) > >>

Laura Mabee:
Wow.. thanks guys!   :)

brendan:

--- Quote ---Tioumen hospital."

Wilson points out the weird fact that he was stabbed at the same time as the shots were fired in Sarajevo - same day, almost at the same time.

R heard of the Russian mobilisation when in hospital. He telegrams Nicholas to avert war, but it is too late.

//Grigorevna
--- End quote ---

That account sounds pretty much the same as the one  R's daughter Maria later wrote except for one small, but nevertheless interesting, detail that was left out.  

Maria write's :

...And when the fatal news was brought
to him,  he understood that the inevitable had been done.He sobbed bitterly repeating obstinately:
“now all will perish.”

I think this does an excellent job of shedding some light on just who this man really was.

Sarushka:
I'm running across some discrepancies regarding the date Rasputin was stabbed by Guseva:

At first glance, Massie appears to say that Rasputin was stabbed on 27 June (NS). However, careful reading of the passage reveals that Massie actually gives no date for the stabbing itself -- he says only that Rasputin arrived home on 27 June and the assassination attempt followed during that visit.

Joseph Fuhrmann's bio of Rasputin puts the date as 28 June with Maria Rasputin and Spiridovich as his references.

King's biography of Alexandra also uses 28 June, citing De Jonge as his reference.

In The Rasputin File, Radzinsky relates the assassin Guseva's own testimony which states that the date was 29 June.

However, Radzinsky writes in The Last Tsar that Nicholas received the telegrams regarding the events in Sarajevo and Rasputin's injury on the same day. I would presume that the tsar would have been informed of the assassination in Sarajevo immediately, which leads me to believe Rasputin must have been stabbed on or before the day Archduke Franz Ferdinand was killed -- 28 June -- in order for the news of both events to arrive on board the Standart on the same day.

Moynahan's bio of Rasputin puts the date at 29 June, referencing the deputy prosecutor of the Tobolsk distict court -- I assume this is another reference to Guseva's testimony.

Some accounts state that the assault occurred after Rasputin had returned home from church. In checking a 1914 calendar, I verified the fact that Sunday fell on 28 June that week. However, others say that Rasputin was on his way to the post office to answer a telegram from the empress. Would the postmaster have delivered a telegram on Sunday? Some accounts mention both the visit to church and the trip to the post office occurring within a matter of hours.

It seems to me that the most solid indicator would be the date of Alexandra's telegram to Rasputin. However, I've never seen the text of that telegram resproduced. Has anyone else?

In lieu of that, I'm curious about what others' opinions would be regarding the validity of the sources I've laid out here. Whose date do you believe, and why?

Forum Admin:
Spiridovitch's bio "Rasputine" says (pg. 201 et seq) that it was on June 29, while Rasputin was meeting with the telegram delivery man who had a telegram for him and while he was digging in his pockets to pay the man, she stabbed him.

This date is further supported by the following:
1. A telegram dated June 29 sent by Rasputin to the Emperor on board the Standart. "Some species of carrion has stuck me in the side with a knife.  With the help of God, I am still alive." (This original telegram in the Yale Archives as part of the Spiridovitch papers)
2. A telegram sent by Nicholas II to the Minister of the Interior, dated June 30, 1914, reading in part: "Nikolai Alexeievich, I have learned that yesterday, in the village of Pokrovskoie, Toblosk Government, an attempt has been committed against the person of the staryets Grigiri Efimovich Rasputin, for whom we have great veneration.  He has been wounded in the chest by a woman. " (Cited by Spiridovitch at pg 202-203, source noted to "La Monarchie avant l'ecroulement" Edition d'Etat, 1927. pg. 92)

I believe that these two pieces of first hand evidence establish a conclusive date of June 29, 1914, although am interested to know if anyone else has contradictory first hand evidence.

Further, Sarah, Spridovitch reports the Assassination of Franz Ferdinand as "June 15" which would be OS, thus well before the OS date of June 29. According to Spiridovitch, was was there of course, the report of the events in Sarajevo came to Nicholas long before the stabbing of Rasputin, and not on the same day.  He further reports that the telegram about Sarajevo came while Nicholas was still at Peterhof, and not yet on board the Standart. I believe Radzinsky is incorrect.

Sarushka:

--- Quote from: Forum Admin on February 05, 2008, 03:08:14 PM ---Further, Sarah, Spridovitch reports the Assassination of Franz Ferdinand as "June 15" which would be OS, thus well before the OS date of June 29. According to Spiridovitch, was was there of course, the report of the events in Sarajevo came to Nicholas long before the stabbing of Rasputin, and not on the same day.  He further reports that the telegram about Sarajevo came while Nicholas was still at Peterhof, and not yet on board the Standart. I believe Radzinsky is incorrect.

--- End quote ---

The dates I gave were all new style. OS, the dates in question for Guseva's attack on Rasputin would be 15 or 16 June. My question boils down to this: Was Raputin attacked on the same day Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version