Author Topic: Duke Miguel of Braganza and his family  (Read 205435 times)

Offline Danjel

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Royal Splendour
Re: Duke Miguel of Braganza and his family
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2006, 04:42:20 PM »
Miguel (1853-1927) married 1st Prss Elisabeht von Thurn und Taxis (1860-1881)
                                       2nd Prss Marie Therese zu Lowenstin-Wertheim-Rosenberg( 1870-1935)

Children from his 1st marriage:
1. Miguel (1878-1923), married Anita Stewart
2. Fransisco (1879-1919)
3. Maria Theresa (1881-1945) married Prce Karl Anton von Thurn und Taxis

Children from 2nd marriage
4. Isabel (1894-1970) married Furst Franz Josefvon Thurn und Taxis
5. Maria Benedita (1896-1971)
6. Mafalda (1898-1918)
7. Maria Ana (1899-1971) married Fürst Karl August von Thurn und Taxis
8. Maria Antónia (1903-1973) married Ahley Chanler
9. Filippa (1905-1990)
10 Duarte Nuno (1907-1976) married Maria Francisca Pss of Orleans-Bragança
11 Maria Adelaide (1912) married Nicholaas van Uden

Offline Khristeanna

• Privet :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2006, 04:00:21 PM »
Hello all  :)

I would like to know more about Infanta D. Maria Adelaide de Bragança, i know that she was born on 31-01-1912, her parents name and her children name, but i would like to know something about her and about her life... (sorry if this is already posted, i look for something about her here and i didnt found almost anything...)

Thanks*************

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2006, 07:35:20 PM »
Infanta D. Maria Adelaide was the youngest child from D.Miguel (II) and his second wife Pss. Maria Theresa de Loewenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg.
She was born in Saint-Jean-de-Luz in France where her father had gone for an interview with his cousin the recent exiled king D.Manuel II and try to unite the two branches of the Bragança to restore the Monarchy.
The interview came to nothing ... except for the fact that D.Manuel and his Mother Queen D. Amélia accepted to be the child's god-parents.
The Infanta was a bit of a tomboy and she definitely preferred to play with her brother D.Duarte Nuno rather than with her sisters due to the gap age.
Her first years ran smoothly between Austria, Liechtenstein and Bronnbach, the home palace of the Loewensteins.
When war broke, things changed rather suddenly.
Her Father and her elder brothers were serving in the Army and her Mother was left alone with the 8 children.
The family suffered many difficulties during this period and, in  a recent interview, the Infanta told how she longed for her Father's visits every odd week-end.
Not only could she be with him, but he always carried a large provision of cookies for his horse that D.Maria Adelaide and D.Duarte "stole" as sometimes there was not much to eat.
After the war the family was once again reunited (or what's left of it as her sister Infanta D.Mafalda died in 1918 and her half-brother Infante D. Francisco José died a POW in 1919) but they no longer lived with the aisance of previous times.
D. Maria Adelaide and D. Duarte found a "part-time job" by acting as tourist guides to the people who came to visit Bronnbach.
Apparently they were very good and explained everything they knew - as part of the family- and invented what they didn't, for the great amusement of tourists.
When their Mother discovered she ordered them to stop immediately.
One of their pranks consisted on climbing the church tower and advance or retard the clock and watch the people very confused about Mass time.
Those happy times passed quicky and soon came WW2.
The Infanta had studied for Nurse and worked hard in a Vienna Hospital.
She had lots of friends among the resistance and even communists.
One of these, once gave her name under torture, and the Gestapo was going to arrest her but she was told that in advance and could escape.
On another occasion she was arrested with her sister D.Maria Benedita , their crime being they had been listening to the BBC. D.Duarte was also persecuted but he managed to escape.
When the news arrive in Portugal, P.M. Salazar wrote to Hitler a vigourous letter saying it was intolerable that two princesses from a neutral country were under arrest and soon they were released.
BTW I just finished reading a book about the correspondence between Salazar and Queen D. Amélia and apparently Salazar contributed to the release of the Infanta's Thurn und Taxis brothers-in-law who were also under arrest and there had been already a death order to one of them.
After the war the Infanta met her husband, a dutch doctor, they got married and a few years later they settled in Portugal.
There was some curiosity from the Portuguese society about the Infanta, as there hasn't been one for almost one century.
She was constantly invited to teas and parties, but that was nothing she appreciated.
After the war years working in a Hospital, she tried to do some social work with the poors of a small town in front of Lisbon which shocked some of the establishment.
She got the nickname "The Red Infanta" which she claimed she was very proud of.
Due to her age, she only attends family reunions, like D.Duarte's wedding, the Infante's christenings, some birtdays, and she lives very retired, with her family.

Offline Khristeanna

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2006, 02:36:58 PM »
Thank you so much!!!*****************  ;D

Just by curiosity, do you know the name of that small city in front of Lisbon where she worked?

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2006, 10:31:16 AM »
Not exactly a city, but a small fishing village: Trafaria

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2006, 06:59:29 PM »
Do you live / have lived in Portugal ??? ?

Trafaria is not exactly a touristic zone although close to one of the most frequented beaches south of Lisbon, Costa da Caparica  8).

Offline Khristeanna

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2006, 02:54:03 PM »
Yes i live in Portugal  :) in a town near Lisbon too, thats why i asked you about the name of that town  ;D

Offline Marie Valerie

• Graf
  • Erzherzogin von Österreich (1868-1924)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2006, 09:03:31 AM »
 (*3rd April 1831; +16th December 1909)

married in 1851 Miguel I de Portugal

Any Informations about their marriage?

Any Infos about the Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenbergs?

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2006, 08:49:40 AM »
Dear Marie Valérie,

Adelheid Sophie Amélie Louise Johanna Leopoldine was born at Kleinheubach on April 3rd 1831 and died at the Abbaye Sainte Cécile, Apley, Isle of Wight on December 14th 1909. She was the eldest child of Constantin Hereditary Prince zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (1802-1838) and his wife Marie Agnes Henriette Princess zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1804-1835). As her parents died very young, Adelheid was an orphan when she was only seven years old.

Adelheid Sophie had a younger brother Karl (1834-1921) who married Adelheid Princess zu Isenburg-Büdingen in Birstein (1841-1861), but Adelheid died two weeks after she had given birth to her fisrt child Maria Anna (1861-1896). Karl's second wife was Sophie Princess of Liechtenstein (1837-1899). She was mother of eight children, five daughters and three sons.

Adelheid Sophie herself married Miguel, Infant of Portugal, Duque de Braganza (1802-1866) - let's call him Miguel I. - at kleinheubach on September 24th 1851. The couple had seven children: Maria das Neves (1852-1941), Miguel (1853-1927), Maria Teresa (1855-1944), Marie José (1857-1943), Adelgunde (1858-1946), Maria Anna (1861-1942) and Maria Antonia (1862-1959).

Adelheid was Queen of Portugal, but she has never set foot in that country. Her family had to live in exile, that's why she stayed with her Löwenstein relatives at Kleinheubach and Bronnbach.

The Löwensteins are also known for being very pious. A lot of them were nuns or monks. After Karl's second wife had died in 1899, he decided to become a a member of the Dominican order Trans Cedron at Venloo in August 1907. He was called Raymund Maria since then. His daughter Franziska was a nun, too. Oh, and just think of Adelheid Sophie's granddaughters Adelheid, Maria Antonia and Francesca of Bourbon-Parma (daughters of Infanta Maria Anna and sisters of empress Zita) who all became nuns!
Adelheid herself also lived with nuns at the Isle of Wight in the last years of her life. But I'm not sure if she became a nun, too.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 08:53:49 AM by MarieCharlotte »
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2006, 02:21:51 PM »
Adelheid became a nun in 1897.
Hineni, ahuv scheli!

Words should be weighed, not counted.
Endast de tama fåglarna har en längtan. De vilda flyger. (Elmer Diktonius)

Offline Bernardino

• Boyar
  • Real, Real, Real, por El-Rei de Portugal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2006, 03:51:47 PM »
I know the Löwensteins were very Catholic, but apparently open to inter-religious marriages...

Duchess Adelaide's mother was the short-lived Hereditary Princess Marie Agnes Henriette, née Princess zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg...a Protestant family isn´t it?

So I wonder if Pss Agnes was Protestant or did she convert to Catholicism?

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2007, 05:43:37 PM »
Infanta D.Maria Adelaide will celebrate her 95th birthday tomorrow Jan.31st.
She is one of the Gotha's doyennes and of the less young  ::) still alive.
Incredible to realize that her grand-father King D.Miguel was born in 1802, so a span of 205 years has passed  :)

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2007, 12:17:53 PM »
Has anyone any info on D.Isabel Maria de Bragança a.k.a. Elizabeth Nada of Braganza, eldest daughter of D.Miguel, duke of Viseu and Anita Stewart ?
All I have is her birth and death dates, name of husbands and son, and the fact that she comitted suicide in London in 1946.
Any info and pictures would be very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:21:07 AM by trentk80 »

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2007, 10:22:23 AM »
Dear Danjel

Thanks for the photo. I had never seen any of D.Isabel Maria.
Do you have any additional info on her, her husbands and son ?

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2007, 01:14:51 PM »
Any info or pics about her brothers Michael and John of Braganza, american citizens ?
I know one was an air pilot, not sure which ?