Author Topic: Brotherhood of St. John of Tobolsk  (Read 5394 times)

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
Brotherhood of St. John of Tobolsk
« on: May 05, 2005, 11:09:54 PM »
I have wondered across something on the Internet the mentions the Brotherhood of St. John of Tobolsk. The author, not sure who it is, suggests that this brotherhood was involved in a successful plot to save the IF. The article says The brotherhood's secret symbol was the reverse swastika, which was apparently one of Alexandra's favorite symbols and found inscribed on a wall at the House of Special Purpose. Does anyone know more about this? Any reading suggestions? I would like to know more. I wasn't really sure where to post this, so I just put it here.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:13:53 AM by Alixz »
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
  • Anneliese: Historian in training
    • View Profile
Re: Brotherhood of St. John of Tobolsk
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 06:19:46 AM »
Interesting Lexi.  Never heard of this before.  Can't say they were involved with a successful plot, to my mind, as we have 11 bodies of the IF and their entourage.  But there are 2  missing bodies...

Unlikely but intriguing.  I'd like to know more too.

D

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 03:34:43 PM »
Nicholas and Alexandra had believed they would support an escape since Rasputin's daughter Maria had married the man who headed the scheme.  Money was given to them, etc and of course they just took it and ran.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 06:14:55 PM »
Can you tell us where you discovered the information on the Brotherhood of St. John of Tobolsk?

Thanks

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 06:16:06 PM »
Really, I don't remember!  I think that was the general gist of it...  Maybe it's in FOTR somewhere...

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 06:25:21 PM »
I googled:

http://www.shout.net/~bigred/TsarMyst.htm

Shay McNeal's book is mentioned.

Brotherhood of St. John of Tobolsk is also linked to Reilly, Ace of Spies.

I'll go copy a little and bring it back here:
>>The preliminary escape direction for the Russian imperial family was from Ekaterinburg towards the north. Brought into play to assist the Romanovs was the Hudson's Bay Company which was paid by the British to oversee construction of a "safe house" in Murmansk for the endangered imperial family. When "Ace of Spies" Sidney Reilly went to Russia early in 1918, he went by way of "Romanov-on-the-Murman" (Murmansk). The Brotherhood of St. John of Tobolsk, founded to rescue the Romanovs, had their own secret network meant to hide the Tsar and his family in Russia, probably in the far north. The brotherhood's secret symbol was the reverse swastika, a Tibetan good luck symbol. Sidney Reilly, one of whose roles was agent for the Metropolitan-Vickers Company, may have been influential in arranging to berth a British torpedo boat at a river near Tobolsk. Planned was that the boat would go far north with its passengers, past the Arctic Circle. Thus, several planned escape routes were being formed.<<

AGRBear
« Last Edit: July 17, 2026, 03:15:42 AM by AGRBear »

Offline Inquiring_Mind

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 06:25:32 PM »
In Shay McNeal's book it mentions the Brotherhood as being founded to rescue the family.
I chose the road less traveled and now...where the heck am I????

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 06:52:01 PM »
THE PLOTS TO RESCUE THE TSAR by McNeal p. 122 talks about the part the church played in connection with Nicholas II while he was in Tobolsk.

Evidently Reilly, as a British SIS agent,  may have been part of some skeme to give assistence of money to Nicholas II.

Other than a few hints,  I've not seen any real evidence such as a SIS file or a letter or  something which gives us more information about a rescue attempt by the British from Tobolsk.

Course if there was, for years, everything about Tobolsk has been shadowed over by the "mysterious"  Vassily Yakovlev whom the Bolshviks, now, tell us that he wasn't so mysterious afterall.

If Locker-Lampson was invovled with his Irish troopers in the armored cars, one would think he would have called them his "Fenians" Brotherhood instead of St. John's Brotherhood. [Attempt of humor  ::) ]

AGRBear

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 08:14:18 PM »
Thanks all. I am still searching for info. I googled too, bear. It would be interesting to find out who was in it etc. I didn't intend this to be a topic about whether or not they succeeded, just interested in the brotherhood, who they were, etc.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:15:40 AM by Alixz »
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 08:41:45 PM »
I found this on one of the AP pages.

348.e) ICON OF ST. JOHN OF TOBOLSK, FOUND IN THE CEMETERY OF THE SYSSERT FACTORY
It is framed in wood. On the side of the Saint's elbow has been broken a small box which had contained relics.
The icon was discovered in the cemetary where it had been thrown during the investigation. It was presented to Tchemodorov who recognized it as belonging to the Empress.

I know nothing about this cemetery.