Author Topic: Kaiserin Augusta Viktoria (Dona)  (Read 139064 times)

Offline tea_rose

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiserin Augusta Viktoria (Dona)
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2005, 01:24:30 PM »
 Prince Lieven, you're right. Perhaps, another reason she was so "content" with Wilhelm-who was similarly spiteful and jealous.  Dona was also  very religious in a very narrow and bigoted fashion -and Vicky was quite freethinking in regard to religion (though  a Christian).

You can see Dona and Wilhelm showing their narrowminded qualities in full force in the fuss they raised over Sophia's conversion to Greek Orthodoxy. I enjoyed Sophie's spirited telegram sent to her mother over the PUBLIC telegram wires that Wilhelm was "mad" when he barred her from Germany.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2005, 01:30:30 PM »
Yes, remember when Dona told Sophie she could NEVER marry Tino. Sophie, naturally, took that with a pinch of salt. Dona was eight months pregnant at the time, and got so agitated that Willy said that if the baby died Sophie would have murdered it. Or what about when Mossy wanted to marry Prince Frederick Charles ('Fischy') of Hesse-Kassel, but Willy didn't think he was good enough for her. Then he relented, telling Mossy she could marry Fischy since she was 'so unimportant yourself.' What a man! : - )
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2005, 07:31:22 PM »
What made William's remark regarding Sophie 'killing' even more ludicrous is that his baby (Joachim) wasn't born until weeks after the blow-up. Wilhelm was just looking for something dramatic to latch onto. QV thought him being ridiculous.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2005, 11:47:24 AM »
It's also evident in Vicky's letters that her hopes for a relationship were dashed quite early.  I remember a passage where Vicky indicated she had given Dona a new gown (perhaps in a Venetian style) to help her with her fashion sense and Dona refused to wear it.  Dona also refused to let her children spend much time with Vicky, to the point that she made the remark that she knew her Greek grandchildren better than her German grandchildren.  Dona eventually began to relent towards the end of Vicky's life, but I also recall that Willy upbraided Dona for meeting him at the station when he came to see his mother while she was dying, but Vicky did not want her there anyways.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jfkhaos »

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2005, 12:00:38 PM »
yes, and that scolding was quite public and dear Dona (ha ha) was humiliated. She deserved it, in my opinion, after years of getting away with being pretty unfeeling.
HerrKaiser

bluetoria

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2005, 07:12:54 AM »
I don't like Dona and think she was extremely unkind to Vicky...and yet, Alice Topham's memoirs show her in a very kindly light and, I suppose, since the governess saw a great deal of her, (and wrote her book when there was a great deal of anti-German feeling in Britain) Miss Topham's opinions must count for a great deal. She described Dona as always very kind and caring....

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2005, 07:15:20 AM »
Yes, isn't she the woman who compared Princess Viktoria Luise to 'her mother the Empress, one of the kindest women I ever met'?
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2005, 10:57:13 AM »
Loyal employees often have a bit of bias toward their bosses, and the governess' memoirs must be looked at with some level of concern in this regard.

It is also likely, and I am willing to accept, that Dona could have been kindly on occasions and toward certain people. That does not reduce the high level of distain and cruelty she directed at Vicky. It could have been the "mother-in-law thing", but beyond that, Dona seemed to have been an opportunist seeking to support her husband's ideas no matter who or what they demeaned.
HerrKaiser

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2005, 04:06:18 PM »
We always have different facets to our personality. Dona was a good mother and Anne Topham would've seen her in this capacity. She obviously loved her children--doted on Joachim in fact--and this would've reflected positively on her. Plus a person can treat their servants well and still not be a nice person to others.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2005, 04:46:19 PM »
Was not Donna only "Half Royal" by birth.  Was not her mother or possibly her grandmother onle a "mere Countess".

Maybe it was a Queen Mary "thing"?

I look forward to your perspective.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2005, 04:51:57 PM »
Her grandmother from her father's side was Countess Dannenskiold-Samsoe and she was marked as a ''mere countess'',while her mother was a Hohenlohe-Langenburg Princess witch was considered ''good enough''!From Kaiser's biography!

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2005, 06:07:34 PM »
Dona was an excellent mother and was dearly loved by all her children.

It was unfortunate that she never challenged Willy more with some of his behaviour and never really seemed to develop her own ideas.

I am sure that Vicky tried to get along with and befriend Dona in the beginning but Vicky too could be tactless and quite demanding at times.  She did have very high expectations of people which could not always be lived up to.

The story about her giving Dona a gown to wear is interesting...there are not too many women who would appreciate being given this by their mother-in-law to help with "fashion sense" without taking offence.

There were faults on both sides, I think, though I do think Dona was cruel in not letting Vicky have more access to her grandchildren - cruel to Vicky and to the children.

Alicky1872

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2005, 07:10:27 PM »
Given how sour Vicky and Dona's relationship turned later, I find it ironic that Vicky was the one who pushed Willy towards marrying her in the first place. Of course Willy had his heart set on Ella, and when Vicky found out, she wrote 'I am not to have the dream realised in which I often indulged and which had become the wish of my heart.' --in regards to Dona!  ::)

Years later, when Willy's own grandson was facing the prospect of having to choose duty over love, Willy wrote to him, 'You will no doubt well know that only few soverigns in the world are lucky enough to be able to marry the object of their first love. For example, in my youth exactly the same thing happened to me, when my parents refused to allow me to marry my cousin Ella of Hesse--a relationship which my grandmother Kaiserin Augusta especially fostered and which I had begged my parents from the bottom of my heart to permit. My heart bleeding, I obeyed the severe command of duty.'

Apparently Vicky felt Willy and Ella were 'too closely related' and the fear that Haemophilia would be passed down to a potential Kaiser of Germany was always at the back of her mind. However, none of these arguments came up when Heinrich married Irene--so go figure. I suppose by that time it wasn't likely that any of H and I's sons would inherit the throne...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Alicky1872 »

bluetoria

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2005, 01:44:52 PM »
I wonder if Willy's putting the blame on to his parents for being unable to marry Ella, was really just to save his pride.
It was Ellawho rejected him - much to QV's disappointment...and I guess it was easier for him to think that outside influences were at work, than to just accept that she thought him, "absolutely horrid!"

(Btw Mrs. Eddy your spooky pictures are scaring me  :o!!! I'm of a nervous disposition!!  ;D)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2005, 02:30:27 PM »
Thanks for that MrsE. Can you say which book that was in? Perhaps one of the ones by John Rohl (which I need to get my hands on)? I've never read that quote before.

In regards to Ella, it could be that Vicky knew that Ella didn't love Wilhelm and wouldn't be forced into it either? She could've foreseen the misery that might've resulted. H&I were very much in love on the other hand. There also was the uncomfortable position that Empress Augusta also wished Ella for her other grandson Fritz of Baden. When Ella wound up rejecting both the Hesse girls were snubbed at the Berlin court by her.