Author Topic: Alexander I of Yugoslavia & Princess Marie (Mignon) of Romania  (Read 222414 times)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander I of Yugoslavia & Princess Marie (Mignon) of Romania
« Reply #390 on: February 28, 2010, 05:20:04 AM »
That's what I thought.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 01, 2010, 03:42:49 PM »
I am sure he provided for his family in his will. Didn't hear any of his children had to work for a living (unlike Alfonso Borbon-Orleans & Louis Ferdinand, both worked for Henry Ford).

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 01, 2010, 08:25:56 PM »
Here is a translated article about his possessions,his will and what was confiscated:

"Safe is still a mystery:

King Alexander is, according to the world press, for fourteen years of his rule, from poorest prince became one of the richest monarchs in Europe. Secret of his wealth he took away with him in his grave.

In his memoir, "No war, no pact," Milan Stojadinovic, Professor of Economics, the government Finance Minister and later Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, wrote that Alexander I of Yugoslavia, when ascended to the throne after his father's death, was a pauper , at least when it comes to kings. After the assassination in Marseille Stojadinovic shall by order of Prince Paul's need to travel under another person's name in Switzerland in order to somehow learned the secret key safes murdered monarch, since it is believed to be full of gold.

Although many of the hopes of salvation from misery by the Geneva secrets widely dispersed, the story of wealth of the Karađorđevićbecame more of a legend. What are Karađorđevićs managed to get less than half a century of governing and whether they are actually born as a mere poor princes, and dying as the rich ones?

Magic of unsolved key:

All three Yugoslav monarchs from the dynasty Karadjordjevic died within half a century. King Peter died in old age in his modest villa in Senjak on the 18th of August 1921.King Alexander, his son, died of the wounds immediately after the assassination in Marseille, on 9th of October 1934.King Peter II "without land", of various diseases, including cirrhosis of the liver leading,on 3rd of November 1970 in Denver (Colorado, USA).

It was officially determined that the personal savings of King Peter I which he left were eleven thousand French francs, and initiated endowment and a property owned by his grandfather George Petrovic Karadjordje, acquired before 1804 in Topola. But,King Alexander Karadjordjevic's listed property was listed in 39 pages of written machine. It is, of course, about the treasure that was left in his country.

Is the king's wealth abroad, really big, or, perhaps, a little one - it was not known.

It is known that King participated in various joint-stock transactions outside of Yugoslavia, it is known that the royal court received some commissions from foreign investments in Yugoslavia. It is known for certain that Alexander had some actions in the petroleum research schist, which are conducted by large companies in Western Europe.

It is known that very often, for health treatment, he traveled to Paris on several occasions, incognito, and it is assumed that these are suited to the business travel activities.

In 1935 Belgrade is guided by inheritance proceedings and then parted was part of the royal wealth, which is located in the country. About the treasure that the King deposited abroad-not a word.

Neither then, nor later, nobody had a famous Swiss code that excites the imagination of many who, guided by existing magic key, even as he came up straight to the wealth of the Yugoslav foreign debt repayment at the time when approaching fifth decades of the king's murder.

In 1953 Peter II of Yugoslavia met with reporters of French newspaper "Semaine de monde". Asked about the legacy left by his father Alexander Karadjordjevic, King Peter II said:

"I was,by an American bank 'Morgan' paid after the Second World War, 28 million French francs in the name of the actions that my father invested in the construction of American railways in California. Then of actions for shipbuilding, which was bought from the English by my father , I received 105,000 pounds. I know that the father has an account in Switzerland, but hence I did not get anything, because I do not know the code ... "

When on the 19th of January 1971 court in Los Angeles opened Peters will, his legacy was worth some two million dollars. Peter's widow, the former Princess Alexandra of Greece, got around 800,000 dollars. Peters son, Alexander received only $ 10,000. The rest was intended for the Orthodox monastery in the U.S., where he is buried.

Then, once again, was confirmed that there is a safe of Alexander I Karadjordjevic in Switzerland. Namely, the U.S. attorney of the Karađorđevic family John Sylvester stated that most of the money King had was lying in Swiss banks in a secret locker in the name of Alexander Karadjordjevic under the code that "as we know, no one ever knew".

King was assassinated in his 46th year. He was born in Cetinje, on the 17th of December 1888; finished elementary school in Geneva, High School in St. Peterburg and Belgrade, and military education acquired also in imperial Russia. About the famous safe or safe deposit, he never told anyone anything. Neither his nearest family.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:28:51 PM by Marc »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 01, 2010, 08:26:19 PM »
Secret testament:

Judging by the political will, given on 5th of January 1934 in Bled, the King sensed his certain death. Just nine months before the assassination he determinated the Regentship that will "continue royal power" in his will. The copy of this document shows that he named "H.R.H Prince Prince Paul of Yugoslavia, Dr. Radenko Stankovic, Senator and Minister of Education and Dr. Ivo Perovic, the Croatian Ban of Sava disctrict.

There was a story about other testament written in 1930 or in 1933 as the others say,but nobody knows where it could be.

History experts firstly believed that it could be found in the legacy of Prince Prince Paul of Yugoslavia in Statford to which the U.S. administration forbade access to Yugoslav historians to this day, except for some less valuable documents.

The story of a testament so seeked out by scientists and survivors largely coincides with the story of a Swiss bank vault. The only credible document that can be found today in the Archives of Yugoslavia was bound, however, only for the courts.

"The decision on heritage property by the late Knight King Alexander Karadjordjevic for Her Majesty Queen Marija," from 7 November 1939, precisely and clearly divides the property of murdered King heirs. Possessionless division, then immediately listed with the appropriate court in Belgrade, led the district judge Miodrag N. Colakovic, and G. Veljko P. Petrovic, a lawyer from Belgrade, was "authorized custodian". According to this document, castles in Dedinje and White Court filed on behalf of Peter, Tomislav and Andrej Karadjordjevic.

Peter II and Andrej never have stepped on the liberated soil of Yugoslavia. Tomislav for the last ten years, stayed in Serbia, hoping that the property in Topola will be returned to the Foundation founded by his grandfather, Peter, and that even a fraction of the property acquired by his father Alexander I that belonged to him and Crown Prince Alexander Karadjordjevic. Peter II, who was a king without a throne and a rich playboy international jet-setter, although after the Second World War he lost the lion's share of holdings because of nationalization. The rest is, however, substantial family wealth which without a doubt mostly earned by the "King-liberator-Alexander I of Yugoslavia."

Proclamation solved all:

According to the State Commission for war damages, published in 1946, Alexander,from many of his estates,for his own money only bought a castle in Bled from Prince of the famous Windisch-Graetz family and began to build a villa on Queen's beach in Milocer. Apparently all other properties of the King were gifted to him and donated for special war and political merits by County Districts: Suvobor castle near Kranj, the forest - with house hunting in the Han-Pijesak, the former villa of Archduke Firidrih in Belje, Tuškanc Palace in Zagreb, villa at the end of the Vardar-Demir gate, with five hundred acres of vineyards, house, woods and fenced hunting fields in Morovic near Sid ...

The only authentic research that can be found in contemporary historiography, on the property of the dynasty of Yugoslavia is resolved at the time when the agreement of Tito-Subasic was in force, based on the addition of this Agreement signed on 7th December 1944.

As the historian Momcilo Mitrovic found, according to the most significant point of this amendment, King Peter II of Yugoslavia during his absence was able to, "dispose of their wealth and goods in the country." Appanages, at that time, were paid to him and his family ending with November 1945.

In May 1945. the Administration of the royal property was formed, which, however, managed only two houses: the villa in Krunska 7 and villa in Sarajevska 37 in Belgrade. "All the other kings goods were taken under control and for use by various state authorities of the new DFJ, ..."

The issue of property Karadjordjevic dynasty was solved legally in 1947, after the edict of the Presidency of the Presidium of the National Assembly DFJ revoking the citizenship of Karadjordjevic family members and the seizure of their entire property.

It is difficult, "says Momcilo Mitrovic, fully to determine what was the total value of property Karadjordjevic dynasty, since many facilities were not estimated. However, the data can be found in the documentation, this value was about 159,621.969 dinars (for estates and businesses), while the recognized war damage on the same property evaluated shocking figure of the then 322,081.351,40 dinars.

King's meadow in Sokobanja were estimated at 93,630 dinars, royal garden Rakovica at 2,910.000 dinars, house in the Boulevard of the Red Army number 24, according to the value from 1934, is worth the then 2,640.000 dinars; villa in Krunska - 3,100.000 dinars, castles and Dedinje White Palace stood by the Presidency of Serbian government 58,005.000 dinars, villa in Sarajevska 37 was worth in year of 1934 920,000 dinars. The whole land, buildings and other constructed in Bled, were estimated to 12,881.675,50 dinars ...

What was seized:

According to the Yugoslav Government order of 2 August 1947, district courts, in whose territory the property of the Karadjordjevic family members was located, carried out the confiscation. The order of the government correctly determined that the county courts confiscate some of the thirty-three estates.

Here's the list: power plant in the town of Poplar in the name of Alexander I Karadjordjevic, District Hospital in Topola on behalf of Alexander Karadjordjevic, the old Karađorđe manor on the same name, the first Serbian military bases in Topola, kings meadows in Sokobanja. Then the following castles of Dedinje and White Palace in the name of Peter, Andrej and Tomislav Karadjordjevic, royal garden in Rakovica on the same name; villa in the Boulevard of the Red Army 24 on the same name, villa in Sarajevska Street 37, Villa in Tolstojeva 2 that led to the name of Tomislav of Yugoslavia, a villa with land in Romanian Street 1-3,villa in Topčiderski Venac on behalf of Olga P. Karadjordjevic, buildings in the name of Marija A.Karadjordjevic in Aberdareva 1, the villa of King Alexander I in Miodrag Davidovic Street in Topcider hill that was in the name of Alexander Karadjordjevic (all in Belgrade).

There are then: Villa Bled in the name of Marija A.Karadjordjevic, Upper and Lower Radovna, seaside resort of  Mežakli on the same name, Gospodarski castle whose deeds had the king himself, lease of hunting castle in Kamniška Bistrica to thirty years for the benefit of the king, the castle "Brdo" that leads to the name of Paul A.Karadjordjevic, Demir Kapija farm-gate to the name of Tomislav A.Karadjordjevic; castle "Miločer" near Budva on the queen's name, the castle "Leskovac" in the district of Rijeka Crnojevića river that leads to the name of Peter, Tomislav and Andrej, house and lot in Cetinje, coal mine "Sikole" an integral part of mining companies "Neresnica - Glogovica", factory for processing gold ore in Glogovica, and laboratories for processing gold "Neresnica", dredge in the river Peck, boats - gold mine for ore extraction, Zeleznik - a gold mine, all in the king's name; Radenka, lignite coal mine, Sevic - also a coal mine; papers, bonds, shares, currency, precious hull of valuables with the number of 23 and other valuables stored in the Forced royal administration consisted of kings goods, libraries and archives."
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:32:07 PM by Marc »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 02, 2010, 11:07:05 AM »
Thanks Marc for sharing this very detailed and impressive information. it seems that Peter II was a very rich man and left millions by his father. However the mystery remains what Andeiji and Tomislav got from their father. I think a special fund was set up for them as they seemed to be very well off as well.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 02, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »
Peter II once said about his wife Alexandra that she is only a Queen in exile who is spending like a real Queen...

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 02, 2010, 02:39:28 PM »
Thanks Marc for sharing this very detailed and impressive information. it seems that Peter II was a very rich man and left millions by his father. However the mystery remains what Andeiji and Tomislav got from their father. I think a special fund was set up for them as they seemed to be very well off as well.

There are so many things about what he left that I could write about...Yet,they had their mothers dowry which was $12.000.000 at that time...Prince Vladimir,his grandson,once stated in his interview that his mother sold her jewels for only 3% of its market value and that they could live for 3 years in London just from that money...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 02:50:28 PM by Marc »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 02, 2010, 02:49:20 PM »
Who is Prince Vladimir's mother ?

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 02, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »
Princess Kira Melita von Leiningen...

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 07, 2010, 10:42:48 PM »
Thank you a lot, friend, for translated article.

King was short twice on his chest and once on his stomach. Please, it is highly possible that it might be inverted (am not quite sure).

I will now share with you one anecdote from my personal life.

My grandmother was born in 1925. Having known that she was barely 9 when King was assassinated, I decided one day to ask her point of view on that unhappy autumn of 1934.

'Grandma, dear, do you remember King Alexander of Yugoslavia, or do you , at least, remember all events occurred after his murder in Marseilles?' - I asked.
---------------------------
She replied : 'Yes, I do. How can I forget that blue train that was transferring the body of our beloved King? We were said to send the last greet to our King. The train was supposed to pass by my village on the railroad on one hill at 4 in the afternoon. We, children went outside, and starred into that train with King's body....Also, there was a song people were sung that was dedicated for him - 'Take care for King Peter, King Peter and Maria, Tomislav and Andrija....' Ooh, we loved King, people loved him, some of them were even crying'.

Quite interesting, isn't it? She has remarkable memory. And she was barely 9 back then. It happened in today's Croatia. I got sad after she had said her story. Recently, we learned about that episode at school, and my teacher brought some printed newspapers that describe that unhappy event.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 13, 2010, 02:41:31 PM »
Queen Marie of Yugoslavia in Marienbad, 1922 :

Mignon and Alexander in auto, Marienbad 1922 :

Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 04, 2010, 02:48:48 PM »
Mignon with her mother Marie of Romania visiting Sebenica, 1923-1924 :

Marie of Yugoslavia with her mother and perhaps Princess Irene of Greece in Ragusa, 1923-1924 :

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 04, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »
Missy did rather like Irene of Greece, and would have loved to have her for Nicholas.

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 04, 2010, 03:02:42 PM »
Missy did rather like Irene of Greece, and would have loved to have her for Nicholas.

That is why this other woman in the photo might be Irene, because of her height, in mourning for her father Constantine died in 1923.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 04, 2010, 03:09:16 PM »
I totally agree with you...Irene was slightly taller than Helen.