Author Topic: Newfound bodies?  (Read 6935 times)

Offline Coach_Rob

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Newfound bodies?
« on: May 24, 2005, 07:01:26 PM »
Hi!
I just finished Coryne Hall's "Little Mother Russia: A Biography of Empress Marie Feodorovna" published in 1999.  In her Postscript on page 357, she states that "the remains of Alexis and the missing Grand Duchess, who the Russians still insist is Marie, are now believed to have been discovered near Ekaterinburg and are awaiting DNA testing."  I'm usually pretty up-to-date with Romanov news, but this was a complete surprise to me.  Has anyone else heard of this? I can't believe news of this magnitude would be under everyones radar screen.  Thanks!  Cindy

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Newfound bodies?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 07:28:49 PM »
This has been hinted at several times and promises of "forthcoming announcements"  are plenty. So far, nothing has come of any of it as far as I know. [except perhaps some pleas for money to "continue" the work.]  Believe me, if anything DOES show up, this is probably the place to hear about it !
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Robert_Hall »
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Coach_Rob

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 07:42:41 PM »
Robert,
Thanks for the quick reply!  I couldn't believe Coryne Hall would just lob this out there for the reading public without giving any documentation to back it up.  "Little Mother Russia" started out to be a good book, but it turned out to be a disappointment.  Cindy

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 07:48:26 PM »
I believe they were proven not to be Romanov. Somone replied in the negative on another thread with a source.  Anyone remember the source?

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline etonexile

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 06:10:20 AM »
I wouldn't be surprized if most of the forests in Russia have human remains about...All those purges under Lenin and Stalin...It was quite common just to take folk out to the forest on the edge of town and shoot them...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by etonexile »

Offline La_Mashka

• Boyar
  • Kukla
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 10:29:47 AM »
I totally agree with you etonexile... those forest must have enough bodies to keep investigators busy... if they so wish
Tishie mushi kot na krushie

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 11:44:56 PM »
I wouldn't be surprized if most of the forests in Russia have human remains about...All those purges under Lenin and Stalin...It was quite common just to take folk out to the forest on the edge of town and shoot them...

Yeah, I bet there are a lot of bodies out in the forest...scary kinda

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 11:50:21 PM »
Scary and tragic.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline LayLay

• So, yeah... Napoleon Bonaparte IS cool.
    • View Profile
    • This Is My Domain
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 05:35:01 PM »
I read that before!!! and I think it might actually be true
Life is one of those things right?

Offline GD_Sasha

• "Ain't that you with the Moslems?" -M.I.A.
    • View Profile
    • Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner. [blog]
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 03:41:54 PM »
Very scary to think about....
ANother problem I've been thinking about is there are so many forests in Russia they have the biggest forests in the world so....*shudders*Very sad..

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 08:34:24 PM »
I asked about that line in that book too once but people told me it was a mistake, they found out it was wrong too late to change it before it got published.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 11:41:02 AM »
Robert,
Thanks for the quick reply!  I couldn't believe Coryne Hall would just lob this out there for the reading public without giving any documentation to back it up.  "Little Mother Russia" started out to be a good book, but it turned out to be a disappointment.  Cindy

I'm sorry you felt this way. I thought "Little Mother" was excellent and I can tell you first hand how hard Coryne works on research.

The trouble with publishing books - as opposed to publishing online - is that you want to include the most up to date information as possible to be able to make the book current - and yet at the same time you risk dating yourself by unintentionally including bad information.

This is one of two cases I know where Romanov books were published including some speculative information that did not pan out the way the writers were told it would. I know that Mrs. Hall received what she considered reliable information that the missing bodies were located just prior to going to press. Now, had she not included this, and the missing bodies shortly thereafter found, then LMOR would have appeared dated. Similarly, Greg King was sure that tests would shortly confirm Anna Anderson's identity as Grand Duchess Anastasia, so he allows for this for the same reason (and the same result) in his biography of Alexandra.

The job of an historian is therefore a difficult one, and I greatly respect this in reading what Hall and King write.

Offline RomanovFan

• Knyaz
  • THE BIG PAIR, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 12:33:41 PM »
Weren't two of the bodies cremated anyway? If they were, you'd think there wouldn't be any remains left...
~LESLIE~

ROMANOV FAN SINCE 1997

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 12:47:06 PM »
Weren't two of the bodies cremated anyway? If they were, you'd think there wouldn't be any remains left...

We don't know two bodies were cremated. What we do know is that most of the forensic evidence lines up in support of Pavel Medvedev's statement in the Sokolov Report and Yacov Yurovsky's infamous "Note". Up until the point where there are two missing bodies. There are also numerous missing bones.

There are undoubtedly remains left someone and the question of when Alexis and one of his sisters died remains open.

Offline AnastasiaMischief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 06:33:56 PM »
 Wasn't it said that in Yurosky's diary he wrote that he had wanted Alexei and Alexandra cremated , but instead he said he burned Alexei and Anna Demidova and then they found Demidova's bones so people think that they burned Alexei and Anastasia instead

i also heard that a man named Alexander Avdonin said that he had found the missing remains of Anastasia and Alexei. He siad further results would come out to the public in 2006. In fall, i think.