Author Topic: Palace of GDss Olga Aleksandrovna  (Read 44627 times)

Offline Reco

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Palace of GDss Olga Aleksandrovna
« on: May 27, 2005, 10:22:13 PM »
In August 9th 1901, GD Olga Alexandrovna married Peter Prince Peter of Oldenburg.

Where did they live ?

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
Re: Palace of GDss Olga Aleksandrovna
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 10:30:12 AM »
Reco,
I believe they began by living at the Oldenburg palace which faced the Field of Mars just past the Troitsky Bridge.  
They later moved to their own palace at Sergeievskaya (Chernyshevsky) ulitsa 46-48.  
The Wondering Camera web site has a picture of its gate:
http://www.enlight.ru/camera/65/index_e.html
Bob G

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 02:57:50 PM »
In August 9th 1901, GD Olga Alexandrovna married Peter Prince Peter of Oldenburg.

Where did they live ?

I saw some pictures of the palace (at Sergievskaya str). and the interiors...can't remember where  ???. I'll try to locate the pics..

Offline douglas_J

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 06:25:11 AM »
Perhaps my reply does not belong in this thread but I recently visited GD Olga's second last home, on Camilla Road in Mississauga. (the last was on Gerrard Street in Toronto. Does anyone know the address?) Actually I visited her neighbour who is still in possession of two of her paintings. He had fascinating stories to tell of her and her sons.
Probably everyone knows she was very poor by this time, the 50's, and would give paintings in return for favours done to her.
I have also recently visited her grave in North York. A very moving experience.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by douglas_J »

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 08:28:25 PM »
Hmm. Where exactly is Oldenburg?

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 09:19:18 PM »
Oldenburg is in Germany, but the Oldenburg family made their home mostly in Russia.
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 12:15:35 PM »
Last night I watched a KPBS Documentary on Maria Feodorovna's life and they mentioned OA, they mentiones her marriage to Prince Oldenburg and finished talking about her  saying "Tha last Grand Duchess died a poor widow".. It was  very sad to hear that and imagining  the once wonderfull palaces she grew up in, and seing a Picture when she  was living in Canada. She seem really "poor"....
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 07:44:12 PM »
BobG wrote:
I believe they began by living at the Oldenburg palace which faced the Field of Mars just past the Troitsky Bridge.  
They later moved to their own palace at Sergeievskaya (Chernyshevsky) ulitsa 46-48.  
The Wondering Camera web site has a picture of its gate:
http://www.enlight.ru/camera/65/index_e.html

i guess i'm just wanting to doublecheck my info.    the address given for the palace of the princes of Oldenburg (top photo, aka "Betskoi House") is 2 Palace Embankment.    does that address sit next to the Field of Mars?

here's what the caption says for the top photo:

Betskoi House.  1780s, architect J.B. Vallin de la Mothe.
2 Palace Embankment
Home of nobleman Ivan Betskoi, President of the Imperial Academy of Art, of Catherine II's era.   Rebuilt in the 1830s as a family residence of the princes of Oldenburg until 1917.

so, i was guessing when i said that was the residence of Petr Oldenburg's mother.     was i wrong in that assumption?

she had been born a Leuchtenburg, so it's possible she could have built her own "Oldenburg Palace", or moved into one of the Leuchtenburg palaces and simply renamed it.

i just want to make sure i've got my info as correct as possible, y'know?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:13:16 AM by Svetabel »
"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 07:09:00 AM »
2 Palace Embankment.    does that address sit next to the Field of Mars?

The photo shows the house's right facade facing Lebyazh'ya Kanavka (the Swan Canal) and, across the canal, the Summer Garden. Its front facade faces Marsovo Pole (the Field of Mars).

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 08:08:30 AM »
Brian,
Yes, that is the mansion that I was referring to.  And I understand it to be Peter's home before he moved to Sergeievskaya.
Your picture is taken from the view described by Mike and gives another perspective of the building.  Just to clarify Mike's description: the side of the building on the right side of your picture is the Palace Embankment facade facing the Neva.  Most of the houses on the Palace Embankment have addresses on the other side of the building as well. so I'm not sure which one I would consider the "front".
Thanks for a different view of the Oldenburg mansion.

Point of clarification: I think I once read that only the homes of the Imperial family were referred to as "Palaces" in Russia.  All other homes were referred to as "Mansions."  Can anyone confirm this, and should the forum, for the sake of historical accuracy, adopt this policy?  

Bob G

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 08:42:01 AM »
Most of the houses on the Palace Embankment have addresses on the other side of the building as well. so I'm not sure which one I would consider the "front".

It really makes no difference since we're talking about the same building, but the mansion was usually listed in pre-1917 sources at 1, Millionnaya St., therefore I referred to that side as "front".

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 07:45:41 AM »
It really makes no difference since we're talking about the same building, but the mansion was usually listed in pre-1917 sources at 1, Millionnaya St., therefore I referred to that side as "front".

Mike,
I hope you don't think I was debating or questioning your information.  I was merely pointing out that buildings often have several addresses and while we may have seen pictures on the Palace Embankment side, there is another address on the Millionaya side.
I know you are one of our most reliable sources of information and I would never contradict you, but only try to add some clarifying information that might be of interest.
Bob

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 08:36:10 AM »
I know you are one of our most reliable sources of information

Wow, I feel unjustly flattered! My only virtue in this respect if that I happened to live there for over 40 years and was ever interested in my surroundings.

However, I do have special feelings towards this particular building - which indeed has a double address like almost all houses in Millionnaya St. and the parallel Dvortsovaya (Palace) Enb. First, I've spent my childhood in its close vicinity: we lived in Aptekarsky Pereulok, just a 5 minute walk away. Second, the building belongs to the Institute of Culture, where some nice girls used to study librarianship during my student years... And third, the adjacent Saltykov mansion (occupied by the same pleasant school of learning) was once home to Dolly Fiquelmont, Kutuzov's granddaughter and a very good friend of Pushkin's. It was in that mansion that Pushkin staged the most dramatic scenes of his Queen of Spades.
Thank you again Bob.

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 11:43:53 AM »
Mike,
You proved my point.  What wonderful history of these buildings and your connection to them.  It is these kind of fascinating stories that we would never hear about without you and others sharing so much.  Thanks again.
Bob

Offline Reco

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 06:32:59 PM »
I never found photograph of the palace on EIST Database.
Did somebody find a photograph of the palace on Eist Database ?