Author Topic: Who's read what?  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Who's read what?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 12:46:21 PM »
Dear Caleb,

I'm curious. Why do you rate Lovell's book as highly as you do (higher or tied with the Massie books, for example?)  His work doesn't stand up to even cursory analysis, and I believe he freely admitted that he invented some of the conversations he claimed to have had with Manahan.

Regards,

Simon
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

calebGmoney

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 12:50:58 AM »
Dear Caleb,

I'm curious. Why do you rate Lovell's book as highly as you do (higher or tied with the Massie books, for example?)  His work doesn't stand up to even cursory analysis, and I believe he freely admitted that he invented some of the conversations he claimed to have had with Manahan.

Regards,

Simon
While the book was very naive in some ways, such as accepting ANYTHING Anna said as a fact, it was a very interesting read for me because of the Milukoff tapes. BTW, where have you read that he made things up? Do you know what he made up?

As for "The Romanovs: The Final Chapter", I love that book. But there's one thing in it that I considered to be outdated. mtDNA is not exclusive to families as Massie seemed to think. But it's a very good read and is a nice sequal to Nicholas and Alexandra. I've read it dozens of times and far more than JB Lovell's book.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by calebGmoney »

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 11:24:59 AM »
I have read so many, that there isn't many I haven't some I have not  read because I don't have access to them,etc. I wish I remenbered how many I read, but it is alot, I have been reading anything Romanov related since 6/1998, and I am a fast reader.

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 06:11:22 PM »
Dear Bernard_Timbal,

I just read your posting.  I always find great difficulty in finding Romanov books in French, here in USA.  Is there any website you recomend? There are many books in French that I would love to read.

Thank you very much
Amelia

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 07:39:53 PM »
I've had great luck with the English version of this site:
http://www.bookfinder.com/french/

I've only used it once for a French book -- but I found what I wanted immediately!
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 09:29:51 AM »
I can assure you that Lovell had a febrile imagination ... he made up a lot, right down to dedicating the book to his 4 children.  He didn't have 4 children .. he had four cats.

While the book was very naive in some ways, such as accepting ANYTHING Anna said as a fact, it was a very interesting read for me because of the Milukoff tapes. BTW, where have you read that he made things up? Do you know what he made up?

As for "The Romanovs: The Final Chapter", I love that book. But there's one thing in it that I considered to be outdated. mtDNA is not exclusive to families as Massie seemed to think. But it's a very good read and is a nice sequal to Nicholas and Alexandra. I've read it dozens of times and far more than JB Lovell's book.

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 11:44:05 AM »
About Lovell's book: It was the first I read about the Romanovs,however, bad it is it is good for one thing: It will never make you believe that Anna Anderson was Anastasia contrary to its purpose! After reading it, you know she was an imposter, parts of the book are so silly. :D ;D :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by romanov_fan »