Author Topic: Ella and her Siblings  (Read 58820 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Ella and her Siblings
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 04:56:09 PM »
QV to VMH:

Feb 2 1887: 'It is impossible for me to tell you waht a shock your letter gave me! Indeed I felt quite ill--for I am so deeply hurt at Irene's condut towards me wh. is neither kind grateful or straightforward. I spoke to her on the subject not long before she left, & said I don't say it is never be, only don't bind yourself before he goes away on a long voyage--but say you cannot as yet give a promise. And she assured me again & again that she wld never do that!...The least she cld have done wld be to telegraph at once to me: 'Henry is coming after all'. But to learn it from the papers 1st, is too much....I am very fond of Henry, but he has behaved very badly abt Sandro & Liko too--& says very improper things to his Mother. You say you feel sure I will rejoice at her happiness. But that is just what I do not feel sure of. Henry is not at all strong, the Empress hates all connected with your family NOW. Dear Mama did not wish such a marriage for any of you, as little as a Russian one, & her wishes have been totally disregarded...I had other hopes & wishes for Irene but my wishes & hopes seem never to be fulfilled so it is useless for me to look forward any more.--I see the advantages wh. possibly may be derived from this union; the very fact that Henry will become the Brother-in-Law of Ludwig who is Brother to Sandro--must have a good influence. I remember now that in speaking to Sandro abt. it & saying how I disliked the idea, he seemed rather to favour it....I will write to Irene myself--when I have recd. her 2nd letter. I shall tell her just the same--It reminds me of Ella's & Serge's marriage (wh. I grieve over as much as ever) & that you were made to announce it to me as (I suspect) no one else liked to do it, just after she had declared she wld not accept him!!....I darely hope for better things for lovely Alicky tho' I still have lingering hopes left there!...Papa & you shld. never have left them together & I fear she was driven into a corner.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 06:12:57 PM »
Hessian Tapestry is the ONE book I would love to have and unfortunately is $150 on amazon.  But I'm saving up!

Thank you both for the clarification. :)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 07:40:50 PM »
Yes...That IS the book to be hard. Wow ! 150 USD ! I bought mine years ago...luckily.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 07:52:47 PM »
That is pricey. This was one of my favorite books on any royal. I looked for it for years until the internet made it possible to find it. It was about $50 then.

Abebooks has it for $80 but that's still not cheap. Still, it's just a little more than half of what amazon quotes.

Actually, I did a quick look at here:

http://www.booksandcollectibles.com.au/addall.php?book_id=127157823

it's less than $30.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 07:54:35 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 07:55:08 PM »
I think it will go up as the original print becomes rarer.  ::)

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2007, 10:59:39 AM »
That is pricey. This was one of my favorite books on any royal. I looked for it for years until the internet made it possible to find it. It was about $50 then.

Abebooks has it for $80 but that's still not cheap. Still, it's just a little more than half of what amazon quotes.

Actually, I did a quick look at here:

http://www.booksandcollectibles.com.au/addall.php?book_id=127157823

it's less than $30

THANKS!!

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2007, 07:14:22 AM »
Alix and Ella pictures they look so pretty in these.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2007, 08:16:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing, but they have seen so many times.  ???

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2007, 11:34:20 AM »
You may have done Eric but not everyone else. Please consider that.  Thank you.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2007, 03:58:12 PM »
It's always nice to see photos of Ella, a bit repetitive or not. But, it truly is a pity that there are not better sources to find more unusual photos of Ella, who was just as good looking if not more so than the last Romanovs, but who is always under represented in photo collections. One reason might be that perhaps because Ella seems to have been less into amateur photography than her sister and family, as there aren't as many informal images of her? Most images tend to be pretty formal, although very lovely. Another might be after 1905 there was no longer much occasion for there to be as many photos of her given her religious role and life? Does anyone know for sure about Ella and amateur photography?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2007, 05:48:48 PM »
Well, she's only become a figure of renewed interest relatively recently--with 3 new bios in the last few years (Mager, Croft and Warwick) and a role in Charlotte Zeepvatt's family albums and others such as Romanovs Revisited--so there might not have been reason to put out new, less common photos, both posed and informal. I wish these books had more of those kind but they have unearthed some. In terms of informal photos, there's a very casual picture of Ella in a pond (?) in the Warwick bio and Queen Victoria's Family (Zeepvatt) has some informal family photos taken after Ella was in the convent, visiting her siblings at Hemmelmark for instance. More and more of these photos are coming to light as she becomes a more recognizable figure to modern audiences. Going back to contemporary magazines and newspapers often provide some of the best photos as, given her position as Queen Victoria's granddaughter, she was covered in the British magazines, as a Hessian princess, in the German ones, and as a Romanov (and wife of the Governor of Moscow) in the Russian ones. She was also covered somewhat in the French press, perhaps because she was so lovely and fashionable.  ;) Even the American magazines picked up some stories--perhaps reflecting the interest in monarchies that existed even in a republic. So, at the time, there was a good supply of photos (formal and informal) but as she faded from public consciousness--except as a appendage to her sister--it seems that the reliance was on a rather limited group of stock photos--Ella in her gown and kokoshnik, Ella in her nun's robes, etc...and as a face peeking out of group photos, such as the famous Coburg wedding series. As she comes into her own, hopefully the resources that are bound to exist at the Royal Archives, Hesse Archives, etc...will be tapped more and more.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2007, 06:04:24 PM »
 If you known some books about Ella can you please let me known. Please list them. I want to read a book about Ella so bad. There are probaly some photo albums of her in books in different langauges other than English. I am sure there are lots more photos of Ella not displayed in the public probaly at colleges and universities displays or even museums or Romanov archives. I sure they would be located in either one of those places. :)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2007, 06:11:57 PM »
I listed three books above--the most recent is the biography by Christopher Warwick. Also biographies by Christina Croft and Hugo Mager. Lubov Millar wrote one that focuses more on Ella's religious life. E.M. Almedingen wrote one in the 1960s (?) called An Unbroken Unity. She was covered in David Duff's Hessian Tapestry. There are photos of her in various Romanov albums like Love, Power and Tragedy, Romanovs Revisited and Camera and the Tsars.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2007, 06:45:59 PM »
 Thanks grandduchessella  :)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2007, 09:01:37 AM »
Thanks for the info on Ella and the photos! I agree. Does anyone have any theories on why she has tended to be overlooked until recently when she really is naturally such a standout figure? This is in opposition to Alexandra, who of course hasn't been overlooked because she was the last Czarina, but still it is not like Ella was not important..