Author Topic: Ella's Relationship with other Romanov family members  (Read 57162 times)

Offline Kostya

• The Greatest Poet!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ella's Relationship with other Romanov family members
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 12:36:24 PM »
Does this explain why when the GD Paul was sent into exile  GD Sergei and Ella decided to take in the children?  Are there pictures of all of them together?  Ella and the Children when they were young and when they were already adults?  and are there pictures of Ella, Sergei, and Paul together before and after Paul was married?  

Did Ella have a close relationship with Alexandra of Greece,  Paul's wife?  Are there pictures of them together?  
But to lose heart, my friend, is sinful: Glance, as God peace it is excellent.

K.R.

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 03:35:00 PM »
Does this explain why when the GD Paul was sent into exile  GD Sergei and Ella decided to take in the children?  Are there pictures of all of them together?  Ella and the Children when they were young and when they were already adults?  and are there pictures of Ella, Sergei, and Paul together before and after Paul was married?  

Did Ella have a close relationship with Alexandra of Greece,  Paul's wife?  Are there pictures of them together?  

Ella, Sergei and Paul were very close, so when Paul married Alexandra they welcomed her into thier little group with open arms.

Sergei was so devestated after her death that he has the room where she died, locked up and kept excatly the way it was when she died.

There are pictures of Ella and Dimitry, if you look at "The Camera and the Tsars" ( very good book) you will see many rare photos of Romanov family members.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ashanti01 »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004, 03:55:27 AM »
Not exactly related with the topic but worth to seeing
Ella in modern paintings

http:// http://www.artinfo.ru/artbank/scripts/english/title_base.idc?author_id=1145&title_id=7402

Offline Alexandra

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2004, 06:05:11 PM »
Svetabel, thank you for that link. To my mind, the seated image of the 'Medical Nurse' recalls that of Alix during her Red Cross work. Does anyone else see any resemblance? Or echoes of other Imperial persons in this art besides GD/St Elisaveta?

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2004, 04:05:07 AM »
Svetabel, thank you for that link. To my mind, the seated image of the 'Medical Nurse' recalls that of Alix during her Red Cross work. Does anyone else see any resemblance? Or echoes of other Imperial persons in this art besides GD/St Elisaveta?

For me "Medical Nurse" has no strong resemblance to Alix.  ???But who khows what the painter kept in his mind creating the canva?

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2005, 09:30:34 AM »
Countess Kamarowskaya in her memoirs, maybe,
doubled the rumours that
the possible cause of the death of Alexandra of Greece was something she saw in Ilinskoe between Ella and Pavel.
So Alexandra of Greece gave the birth to Dimitry eartlier that it was expected and died, unfortunately.

Maybe this fact could be the explanation that the attitude of Ella to Maria Pavlovna was not hot at all.

I do not want to make Ella bad by taping this message.
I esteeme her very much.

bluetoria

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005, 10:29:48 AM »
No, I cannot believe this!

Alexandra was known to be of a weak constitution. QV wrote of her being ill after the birth of Maria & never having recovered...and again:

"The doctors say she was in such a bad state of health that she would probably not have lived long. The kidneys quite wrong & the heart very weak & she was very ill already after the 1st time & I believe her health was not properly attended to before her marriage."

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 10:38:47 AM »
Yes.
Countess Kamarowskaya did not state that this is true for 100 percents. She said that she refrained the rumour.
She just added that that from her experience  at the Court she could believe that it was true. Such rumors
continued for a long long time.

But at the same time she said that
She think that Ella is the most beatiful woman she ever saw and that when she met her at her convent, she liked her a lot.

bluetoria

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2005, 10:42:02 AM »
Yes.
Countess Kamarowskaya did not state that this is true for 100 percents. She said that she refrained the rumour.
She just added that that from her experience  at the Court she could believe that it was true. Such rumors
continued for a long long time.

So that part is just rumour...
and this part:

But at the same time she said that
She think that Ella is the most beatiful woman she ever saw and that when she met her at her convent, she liked her a lot.

...is her personal experience  :)

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2005, 10:48:11 AM »
Personally , I do not think that it is such simple.
She (Kamarowsky) was very clever and intelligent.
There is not so much rumours in her memoirs.
I think that when she wrote this rumours it means that
she thoght in the same way.
But she was trying to be honest and strictly divided what she witnessed or what she have heard.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 01:29:22 PM »
It could very well be that she heard the rumors. I've seen them reprinted in other books (perhaps Radziwill?) that Alexandra was viewed as 'deluded' by Ella's 'false friendship' and that St Petersburg was laughing behind her back since Paul & Ella were carrying on.

I personally don't buy it for one minute. There's nothing in Ella's actions or personality that would indicate she could be so cruel and duplicitous as to do that to a young girl--befriend her and then backstab her by carrying on with her husband.

It's been said that Paul had a crush on Ella when she first married but that he'd gotten over it by the time he married Alexandra and by most accounts they were very happy together. KR (I think) wrote that it was pitiful to see Paul after she died and he had to be pried away from her coffin and was then plunged into deep grief (which is one of the reasons the children weren't with him often even before his exile). Paul just couldn't cope.

Ella was the victim of a lot of slander due to her beauty and her odd marriage situation. Even her convent work was later gossiped about as 'show'. Some people just can't accept things at face value.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Speedycat

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005, 08:32:45 PM »
A beautiful photo of Alexandra Georgievna and Elziveta Feodorovna (too bad my scanner has made a mess of it!)  Much like celebrities of today, people looked to find "scandal" and "intrigue" in certain situations where there really was none.  I think the two couples enjoyed a very close friendship.  Keep in mind the writing styles of the late 19th early 20th Century was full of flowery words and over-blown emotional statements.  To use the expression "touch" or "embrace" in letters of that time period was not uncommon for both men and women.  It is only today in a world so obsessed with sex, sexuality and who is sleeping with who that we see these innocent words of family love in a different way.

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 05:35:38 AM »
As fas as I know , all GD were  lightly amoureux with Ella in the end of 1880 years.
they were jealous of Serguey Alexandrovich that he would be marry with ELLA.

bluetoria

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2005, 07:38:31 AM »
Much like celebrities of today, people looked to find "scandal" and "intrigue" in certain situations where there really was none....Keep in mind the writing styles of the late 19th early 20th Century was full of flowery words and over-blown emotional statements.  To use the expression "touch" or "embrace" in letters of that time period was not uncommon for both men and women.  It is only today in a world so obsessed with sex, sexuality and who is sleeping with who that we see these innocent words of family love in a different way.

I agree entirely Speedycat & I think that the royal families were particularly used to writing in that style. Ella called Nicholas, 'Darling Nicky'; QV called Vicky, "Beloved & Darling Child"; Alix's letters to Anna Vyrubova were equally affectionate. These expressions were often (& are often) so misinterpreted by people who could see only baseness in everything. What a pity! But! "To the pure everything is pure!"  :D

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2005, 11:39:16 AM »
In the beginning of the 20th century not only the royals used such forms as My Darling, My sweet heart etc. but the ordinary people too.
It was fashionable.