Author Topic: Ella's Relationship with other Romanov family members  (Read 49777 times)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Ella's Relationship with other Romanov family members
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »
I tend to believe that Ella was pretty much accepted by the family and fit in. She had enough of a Russian/ Romanov quality to do so. She may have been marrying Sergei, who was controversial in some respects, but it doesn't seem like that impacted things much. Had Ella not fit in, Alexandra would never have been allowed to marry in. But, Ella did very well. Of all the Hessian Princesses who married in ( Paul's first wife, Empress Marie Alexandrovna, and Alexandra, of course), Ella did best, and became most Russian. She would have done this no matter what member of the Imperial family she married, but perhaps it was more of a challenge being Sergei's wife, although relatives saw him in a good light. Generally, MA and Miechen didn't get along, so it is interesting reading on this thread they both disliked Ella. Does anyone have thoughts on this? They were both society queens though, and Ella was a different sort of woman, so maybe that contrast explains some things. I don't think Ella's relationship to other Romanovs has ever been explored as much as her sister's relationship to other Romanovs.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 01:23:17 PM by imperial angel »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2007, 04:08:26 PM »
It was written somewhere (Roamnov Autumn?) that Miechen and Ella were close in the early years of Ella's marriage. Both were German princesses who had chosen to maintain their Lutheran background despite the pressure of belonging to such an Orthodox family. When Ella converted, Miechen apparently saw it as a betrayal and the relationship began to deteriorate from there.

Ella spent most of her life in Russia somewhat apart from the other Romanovs. Once Serge was appointed Governor-General of Moscow, there time was mostly spent there. After his death, she was somewhat secluded and then entered the convent. It seems that it was only in the early years that she was really 'in the mix' with the family.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2007, 04:51:14 PM »
I guess that explains why you never hear much about her relationships with other Romanovs. I just thought there was a bit of a gap there, but your explanation fits. I think she could have been more a part of the family in terms of what she was like, but she had different qualities than most other royalty, now or then.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 04:29:32 AM »
I think Ella got along with everbody except Michen and later her sister Alicky.  ;)

Offline gem_10

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 12:56:51 AM »
Yes, Ella get along with almost everybody and I would like to think of her as the "Darling of St. Petersburg", at least before she moved to Moscow.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 09:09:35 AM »
Yes, Ella get along with almost everybody and I would like to think of her as the "Darling of St. Petersburg", at least before she moved to Moscow.

Indeed, she did get along with most people. She had a sort of disarming quality. People would gossip about her marriage with Sergei, but they never went after her reputation as much. There were not many bad things that you could say about her, even in rumor.I don't think anyone ever said at the time she ''lived a lie'' or anything like that. That has only come later, if at all. Contemporaries generally liked with the famous exception of MP, of course.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 07:28:26 PM »
Who is MP ?  ???

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 09:11:42 PM »
Marie Pavlovna--I presume the younger.

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2007, 10:17:09 AM »
I always thought Marie F. and Sasha got along very well w/Ella.  Maybe they didn't like her after she pushed for the marriage of Nicky and Alix.  Is that it?  They liked her in the beginning though, certainly?

I know that Meichen felt betrayed by Ella's conversion.  But I thought they remained friends.   ???

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2007, 02:01:11 PM »
I always thought Marie F. and Sasha got along very well w/Ella.  Maybe they didn't like her after she pushed for the marriage of Nicky and Alix.  Is that it?  They liked her in the beginning though, certainly?

Alexander III and his wife really liked GDss Ella but Empress Maria Fedorovna changed her opinion on Ella after the affair "Nicky-Alix". MF considered Ella an intrigante and had a girevance against her, though after some years their relationship became more or less easy again.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2007, 02:12:06 PM »
Was that because of how much MF hated Alexandra, which is well documented?

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2007, 02:20:10 PM »

Alexander III and his wife really liked GDss Ella but Empress Maria Fedorovna changed her opinion on Ella after the affair "Nicky-Alix". MF considered Ella an intrigante and had a girevance against her, though after some years their relationship became more or less easy again.
Thanks!  I didn't know this.  I was always under the impression Ella got along well w/them always.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2007, 02:24:36 PM »
Was that because of how much MF hated Alexandra, which is well documented?

That was mainly because MF was a very egoistic mother who believed she was the only one to decide fates of her children. The hatred (at first only dislike) to Alexandra was the second reason.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2007, 04:07:15 PM »
AIII and MF having other princesses in mind, I can't imagine they looked upon Ella acting as a conduit between the two and actively encouraging Nicholas to pursue Alix--even after her refusal--too kindly.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2007, 05:04:33 AM »
I can't imagine they looked upon Ella acting as a conduit between the two

Probably Alexander III was more kind to Ella than MF in that question. But MF in fact considered Ella and Sergei the two who were involved in underhand intrigues concerning to Nicky-Alix. MF was mad that someone dared to decide questions that were the privacy of her OWN family - her children. The privacy of her actually as she was too egoistic and sometimes unadequate mother.