Author Topic: Crown Prince Rupprecht, his wives Marie Gabrielle & Antonia (nee Luxemburg)  (Read 139931 times)

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
Re: Crown Prince Rupprecht, his wives Marie Gabrielle & Antonia (nee Luxemburg)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 10:04:23 AM »
Crown Prince Rupprecht's daughter wrote her memoirs for the European Royal History Journal in our Issue 46 (August 2005).  A very interesting document indeed.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Rani

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 06:47:02 AM »
Antonia Roberta Sophie Wilhelmina of Luxemburg, 9 october 1899 - 31 july 1954 was married to
crownprince Rupprecht 18 may 1869 - 2. August 1955
She had six children:
1.Heinrich Franz Wilhelm (1922–1958) oo 1951 St.Jean de Luz: Anne Marie de Lustrac (1927–1999)
2.Irmingard Marie Josepha (* 1923) oo 1950 Leutstetten: Ludwig Karl Maria von Bayern (* 1913)
3.Editha Marie Gabrielle (* 1924) 1.oo 1946 Florenz: Tito Tommaso Brunetti (1905–1954) 2.oo 1959 Tegernsee: Prof. Dr. Gustav           Schimert (1910–1990)
4.Hilda Hildegard Marie (1926–2002) oo 1949 Lima, Peru: Juan Bradstock Edgart Lockett de Loayza (1912–1987)
5.Gabriele Adelgunde Marie (* 1927) oo 1953 Leutstetten: Carl von Croy (* 1914)
6.Sophie Marie Therese (* 1935) oo 1955 Berchtesgaden: Jean Engelbert von Arenberg (* 1921)

Rani

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 06:49:00 AM »

Offline Aliss_Kande

• Graf
  • Viktoria Luise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 10:17:52 AM »
Did she love her husband, him being so much older and all?  Was it an arranged marriage?

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 02:49:09 PM »
To Aliss:

All that I have read about Rupprecht and Antonia was focused on the years they suffered the nazi´s prosecution. I can writte a lot about these rough times. I don´t know if they were married by love, but I always supposed they had strong feelings. The engagement aroused a great criticism in Luxembourg, due to the fact that Rupprecht, as a militar commander, had fought in the Battle of Lorraine, I believe...The pressure under the grand duchess Marie-Adelaïde, elder sister of Antoniette, was very strong. So, the royal family of Luxembourg had nothing to gain with the marriage between Antoniette and Rupprecht.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:45:54 PM by MarieCharlotte »

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 04:50:15 PM »
Did she love her husband, him being so much older and all?  Was it an arranged marriage?

They became engaged on the 50th wedding day of Rupprecht´s parents, the 20th february 1918. After a short time the engagement had to be canceled as various people in Luxembourg accused Antonia´s eldest sister Marie-Adelaide to be too friendly with Germany as also her sister Hilda was engaged with a German prince. Antonia seems to have suffered a lot because of the break off of her engagement and when she met Rupprecht again in the early 1920s they became re-engaged (with the help of some aunts) as there were no longer any political reasons against the marriage.

I don´t know if it was "real" love, Antonia was 30 years younger than Rupprecht after all. As Antonia´s father died when she was quite young, she maybe also searched for a "Vaterfigur". Who knows? :-\

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 11:14:29 AM »
Wonderful new book in German on Crown Princess Antonia by jean Louis Schlim

They became engaged on the 50th wedding day of Rupprecht´s parents, the 20th february 1918. After a short time the engagement had to be canceled as various people in Luxembourg accused Antonia´s eldest sister Marie-Adelaide to be too friendly with Germany as also her sister Hilda was engaged with a German prince. Antonia seems to have suffered a lot because of the break off of her engagement and when she met Rupprecht again in the early 1920s they became re-engaged (with the help of some aunts) as there were no longer any political reasons against the marriage.

I don´t know if it was "real" love, Antonia was 30 years younger than Rupprecht after all. As Antonia´s father died when she was quite young, she maybe also searched for a "Vaterfigur". Who knows? :-\
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 11:43:52 AM »
Wonderful new book in German on Crown Princess Antonia by jean Louis Schlim

Yes, it´s very beautiful with plenty of photos.

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 01:12:51 PM »
As there is a thread about her "successor" Antonia, I thought that Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria´s first wife Duchess Marie Gabrielle of Bavaria deserves a thread too!

Marie Gabrielle was the third daughter of Karl Theodor Duke in Bavaria (actually his forth girl as he had a daughter - Amélie - out of his first marriage to Sophie of Saxony) and his second wife Princess Marie José of Braganca. She married Pruince Rupprecht of Bavaria in 1900 and they had five children together; unfortunately all but one of this children died prematurely. Also Marie Gabrielle died young in 1912 due to kidney disease.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:32:55 PM by Linnea »

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2006, 01:18:02 PM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:46:09 PM by MarieCharlotte »

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006, 01:33:21 PM »
i dont know to much about this lady but the story of her life is really sad with a tragic ending  :'(
although very beautiful and young she looks so sad in the above photos :(

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2006, 01:35:55 PM »
thanks for the thread ,would like to learn more about her if its possible.

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2006, 01:45:08 PM »
although very beautiful and young she looks so sad in the above photos :(

The meloncholic looks came from her Braganca heritage. Her aunt Archduchess Karl Ludwig of Austria was considered a great beauty, but"a very melancholic one". However Marie Gabrielle had reason to be melancholic as four of her five children died prematurely (she didn´t live to see her eldest son died though as he died in 1914) and since the early times of her marriage she was ill very often and had to spend a lot of time abroad, e.g. Egypt.

Offline Aliss_Kande

• Graf
  • Viktoria Luise
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2006, 01:46:15 PM »
Do you know if they plan on publishing it in English?

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2006, 11:54:02 AM »
For more pictures of Antonia of Luxemburg as Cown Princess Ruprecht of Bavaria, I recommend this interesting link :

http://www.jacobite.ca/postcards/postcards4.htm
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 11:56:52 AM by KarlandZita »
Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei