Author Topic: Crown Prince Rupprecht, his wives Marie Gabrielle & Antonia (nee Luxemburg)  (Read 129384 times)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
Re: Crown Prince Rupprecht, his wives Marie Gabrielle & Antonia (nee Luxemburg)
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 09:56:38 AM »
No.  The German publisher would have to sell the rights to an American or British publisher which would have to pay for a translation - and translations usually take time .. sometimes a year or longer. A publisher would not recoup an investment with having to pay for the rights and for a translation - because the book would not sell all that many copies.

Do you know if they plan on publishing it in English?
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2006, 02:58:10 AM »
Princess Editha (born 1924), her first husband Tito Brunetti (1905-1954) and her three daughters Serena, Carlotta and Antonia. Tito died two years after Antonia's birth.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:47:18 PM by MarieCharlotte »
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2006, 04:15:23 AM »
At the moment, I can't tell you much about Marie's life, because I've never been very interested in her. Maybe you could find some mor information in a book about her husband Albrecht.

Marie - actually she was called Marita - was the only child of Dionys Draskovich von Trakostjan, Count Draskovich von Trakostjan (1875-1909) and Julia Princess of Montenuovo (1880-1961). She was born at Vienna on March 8 1904 and died at Wildbad Kreuth on June 10 1969.

Draskovich von Trakostjan was an old Austrian aristocracy, but the family had their goods and possession in Croatia. As Marie's father died in 1909 aged 34, Julia decided to marry Karl Price zu Oettingen-Oettingen und Oettingen-Wallerstein (1877-1930). That's why Marie grew up in Bavaria. They didn't have more children.

When Duke Albrecht told his father Rupprecht and his step-mother Antonia about his wish to marry Marie, they were very pleased, although there were also plans for a more dynastic marriage. They married at Berchtesgaden on September 3 1930.
Their children are:
- Marie Gabrielle Antonia José (born May 30 1931, named after Albrecht's mother, step-mother and grand-mother)
- Marie Charlotte Julia (born May 30 1931)
- Franz Bonaventura Adalbert Maria (born July 14 1933)
- Max Emanuel Ludwig Maria (born January 21 1937)

First the family lived at Kreuth, after WW II they moved to Schloss Leutstetten, where many Wittelsbachs came together, because they didn't know where else they could go.

In October 1944 Albrecht and his family were arrested in Hungary and then they were brought to the concentration camp Oranienburg-Sachsenhausen.
Princess Hilda, who was also in the camp, wrote to her father Rupprecht: One week later, Albrecht and his family arrived. They were brought to the other side. A wall and barbed wire was between us. We always looked out of the window, but we had to pretend not to know each other. It wasn't allowed to talk. 14 days later, we were allowed to see them. They had been arrested in Hungary and had been promised to be brought to a castle, too! In the camp we found out that we were here because of Hitler's personal order.

Elisabeth

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2006, 04:43:16 AM »
Thanks very much for these interesting infos, and all the beautiful pictures! From the photos I only knew the one in the middle, but all the others were new to me.  ;)
It´s a very tragic story that Albrecht and his family were send to a concentration camp during wartime, but they were lucky that they survived.
Do you maybe know anything about the reasons for them being send to the Oranienburg- Sachsenhausen camp? Did they participate in any acts against Hitler´s regime?
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2006, 08:35:51 AM »
Do you maybe know anything about the reasons for them being send to the Oranienburg- Sachsenhausen camp? Did they participate in any acts against Hitler´s regime?

To make a long story short: Hitler wanted to arrest Rupprecht, but he couldn't find him. So he decided to bring his family into the concentration camp. Antonia almost didn't survive.

Elisabeth

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2006, 11:39:55 AM »
It´s interesting, but tragic, do you have any literature to recommend, where this can be found?
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2006, 09:06:27 PM »
I read that Ruppret and Antonia had a spat before her internment. After the war, they were seperated. Is that true ?  ???

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2006, 03:20:26 AM »
It´s interesting, but tragic, do you have any literature to recommend, where this can be found?

You can find some information about this in every biography of Crownprince Rupprecht. I can recommend Rupprecht von Wittelsbach. Kronprinz von Bayern by Dr. Otto Kolshorn. In the new book about Crwonprincess Antonia by Jean Louis Schlim there is a whole chapter about the family's time in the concentration camp.

Elisabeth

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2006, 03:33:52 AM »
After the war, they were seperated. Is that true ?  ???

No, they were not seperated, but they had to live in different countries because of Antonia's illness.

After the war, Antonia spent some time in Luxemburg with her sister Charlotte, then she moved to Switzerland. Her health was so fragile that she had to live in Italy (Forte dei Marmi and Rome) from that time on. She didn't return to Germany and I also think that she didn't want to because of the terrible things that happened to her during the war. Crownprince Rupprecht lived at Schloss Leutstetten, but he visited his wife whenever it was passible for him (we have to take into consideration that he was much older than Antonia). In April 1954, three months before Antonia's death, he spent some weeks with her in Rome. On 31 July 1954 Antonia died of cancer.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 03:35:51 AM by MarieCharlotte »

Elisabeth

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2006, 06:09:59 PM »
Charlotte Zeepvat said in one of the lectures about the Wittelabacjh that Ruppert and Antonia had a spat before the war, so he didn't took her with him (he escaped she didn't). After the war, they did not live togather again as man & wife...sort of like Ena & Alfonso.  ???
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 03:34:50 AM by MarieCharlotte »

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2006, 03:35:19 AM »
No, I have never heard of that. As far as I remember Schlim also doesn't mention something like that in his book about Antonia. I guess Zeepvat is wrong ... by the way: I came across her name a couple of times, but actually I don't know who she is. Is she an author or something like that? Is she focused on a special royal family?

Elisabeth

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2006, 05:44:24 AM »
she wrote books about Queen Victoria 's family and the Romanovs. Very knowlegable woman. I will ask her source on that next time I meet her.  ;)

Offline Sissi

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 12:03:49 PM »
I have found this beautiful picture of Marie Gabrielle in her wedding dress:

Offline Sissi

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 12:04:40 PM »

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Not long after the premature death of Marie Gabrielle, an attractive little memorial volume was published containing a great many photographs (P. Engelbert Huber, Marie Gabrielle Prinzessin von Bayern, Diessen, 1914). Some had been previously published on postacards, others not. I have put about 50 of these online in a webshots album, and will add more in due course:
http://news.webshots.com/album/560662343PLHmpI
She was quite exceptionally beautiful I think.