Author Topic: Who had measles when?  (Read 22932 times)

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Who had measles when?
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2009, 01:20:58 PM »
Did the children have german measles while being in Tobolsk? I read this in the Rappaport book.
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now it’s all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2009, 02:44:50 PM »
Did the children have german measles while being in Tobolsk? I read this in the Rappaport book.

Yes, that's correct. According to Alexandra's diary, Olga & Tatiana came down with rubella (German measles) on 1st January, Aleksei on the 3rd, and Maria on the 4th. All had recovered by 8th January, and then Anastasia finally came down with rubella on the 15th. She was well by the 19th.

(All dates are Old Style.)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2009, 02:04:19 PM »
well, my thoughts when I first read this was that maybe they lost their hair once more (which would confuse the dates for us)?
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now it’s all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »
well, my thoughts when I first read this was that maybe they lost their hair once more (which would confuse the dates for us)?

As far as I know their heads were only shaved once, with no further hair loss.
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »
As far as I know their heads were only shaved once, with no further hair loss.

Sarushka, with apologies but I can only note the funny side of your comment.

; )

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Nicolá De Valerón

• Graf
  • Soul to God, Loyality to Crown, Honor to nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2009, 08:50:02 PM »
Ha ha, I must agree with Belochka.

Dear Sarah, your comment sounds something like - "their heads were being slightly cut off only once, with no subsequent unnecessary complications";)))
English are rather simple and understandable language, but sometimes, even innocent English phrase can be very funny;))
"I think that if Shakespeare lived in our times he would not be able to write. Many of his works are not welcome on stage nowadays: The Merchant of Venice – anti-Semitism, Othello – racism, The Taming of the Shrew – sexism, Romeo and Juliet - hideous heterosexual show..." - Vladimir Bukovsky.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2009, 07:32:49 AM »
I suppose once a head has been sheared, further loss or growth of hair becomes a moot point... ;o)

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2010, 11:08:17 AM »
According to Vladimir Nicholaieich Voeikov in his book ' S Tsarem i Bez Tsarya' Alexei got infected by cadet Zehnya Makarov, not by Kolia Derevenko, who lived at that time at Tsarskoe Selo (both Makarov and Kolia )- there was an infection in his corps, and accidentally the boy was given the permission to entrance the Alexander Palace, when he 'infected' Tsarevich'.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Dust_of_History

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2010, 02:59:39 PM »
Yes, I think that's correct. As far as I know, Kolya infected Alexei with rubella when he was already in Tobolsk.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2010, 08:03:35 AM »
Why were their heads shaved?  That's not done today?
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline RHB

• Boyar
  • Four Sisters Always Remembered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2010, 10:39:15 AM »
due to meds at the time their hair was falling out  so it was decided that it would be better to just shave their heads! (if I remember a letter of Tatiana she mentioned something about "we four went to shave our heads as about half of Maria's hair has fallen out" or something like that! But hey sometimes they had a good laugh with it (Gilliard's photo to be a very good example and it was Olga's idea)! If you go back a couple pages you'll find the answer but i thought i'd just repost it! You might even find more out... by the way i think you'll find Tatiana's letter about the shave in the thread about her diary and letters!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:41:46 AM by Romanov History Buff »
<-- GDAndrea

Live and Die together!

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2010, 03:25:35 PM »
Yeah, I guess meds back then were pretty primitive.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline RHB

• Boyar
  • Four Sisters Always Remembered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2011, 03:14:57 AM »
I've read Tatiana talking about her deafness from a letter from Tobolsk in late 1917, early 1918; she said that she was only half deaf in one ear and her hearing was much better, etc etc.

Is it possible for someone to please post the letter?
<-- GDAndrea

Live and Die together!

Offline bestfriendsgirl

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2011, 04:05:49 PM »
I've always been struck by the severity of illnesses back then - NII and Tatiana's typhoid, the measles, etc. - things people just don't get anymore, at least not in most developed countries. I've always wondered, too, if the Imperial children, who had access to the finest medical care available at the time, could become so ill and suffer secondary conditions such as ear abcesses, etc., what must it have been like for anyday, everyday children?

Offline Alexander1917

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »
Yeah, I guess meds back then were pretty primitive.

I think it is not the problem if "primitive medicine knowledge" it depents when you caught such "childen sicks". the saving of hair and loss of hair depents on the hight fever.
I know that I was nearly "dylíng" when I caught chicken pox at the age of 30. those more or less "harmless" childen sicks became more dangerous when you are older - think of malformations if you're pregnant.