Author Topic: Felix and Irina's fashion house, Irfe.  (Read 42629 times)

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
Felix and Irina's fashion house, Irfe.
« on: May 09, 2004, 08:41:18 PM »
What exactly happend to Irfe? Were people responsive to its products? Did Felix actually design the clothes? Was there a flagship store? Do any pictures relating to Irfe remain?

I really, really want to know!

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Felix and Irina's fashion house, Irfe.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 08:48:37 PM »
The best published source about Irfe and many other russian aristocrats´ in exile activities is, as far as i know, "Beauty in Exile".

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 08:55:34 PM »
It's already on my Amazon Wish List! But there's a thousand dollars worth of books ahead of it. In the meantime can someone that has the book fill me in?

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 09:08:27 PM »
There´re a lot of material, designs, advertisments and so on from Irfe in the Library of decorative arts in Paris. The house of Irfe was located in 19 rue Duphot, Paris.
The firm was liquidated in 1931. Before liquidation Felix made a last attempt to save it by uniting with the russian fashion house of Yteb.

wolfgang

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 06:02:06 PM »
you can always get books through Interlibrary loan, either from a public library or through a university library, :)

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 02:20:05 PM »
I've been on bad terms with my library since grade four. But I got another library card with a slightly modified name a few years back. But the pleasure of borrowing things has certaintly lost its appeal. I buy everything I like now, no borrowing.

University library? Am I allowed to borrow books from the University library?

Offline scarlett_riviera

• Boyar
  • Spear Britney!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 10:30:01 AM »
I was going through old threads here and found out that they created a fashion brand sometime in the 20s. I was wondering if it produced a lot of income for them, and if it was high-end or whatnot. I don't believe it lasted long, because in the later years of their lives, they supposedly went bankrupt (or was close to it) and was only saved by winning a lawsuit.

I read somewhere that a lot of Russian emigres turned to fashion after the revolution, including Dmitri's sister. That's pretty great! :D

In memory of Grand Duke Dimitri! The man had style.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 10:44:17 AM »
From what I've read, they did well with it for awhile but basically lost the business in the stock market crash of 1929 (depression). They were so bad off they were forced to sell their home to an ex Irfe customer, a cantankerous old lady who allowed them to stay on as 'help' for her. She practicallly made servants out of Felix, Irina, Bebe and Zenaida, which of course was hurtful to them. They were able to rebound after Felix sued MGM over the Rasputin movie.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 10:47:48 AM by Annie »

Offline scarlett_riviera

• Boyar
  • Spear Britney!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 03:53:27 AM »
Thanks for the info, Annie.
They were treated like servants! That's really, really horrible. I can only imagine how Felix reacted when the old lady bossed him around.  >:(

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 10:11:12 AM »
I think Madame Whobee treated Felix & Irina more as celebrity trophies...I do not think Princess Zenaida came into the equation..though it was Felix going to visit his mother that led to the breach with the dominant Mme W & meant the family lost their Rue Gutenberg home..

Offline griffh

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 11:33:13 PM »
scarlett_riviera, 

There is a wonderful book entitled, "Beauty in Exile," by Alexandre Vassiliev, (Hardcover - Nov 1, 2000).  ALexandre Vassilev book is devoted the artists, models, and nobility who fled the Russian Revolution and influenced the World of Fashion.  Alexandre devotes a chapter to the Yusupov couture house, Irfe.  The book is a total treasure and you can purchase a copy of it on Amazon for $15.00 US.  It is well worth the investment.  Alexandre is a fashion correspondent for both Russian Harpers and Vogue.  This is the second edition and has expanded information.  I can't wait for his third edition.

Offline scarlett_riviera

• Boyar
  • Spear Britney!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 01:21:47 AM »
"Alexandre is a fashion correspondent for both Russian Harpers and Vogue."

For that alone I will definitely need to order that book! I'm a huge Harpers fan! Thanks for the info, the book seems very interesting.  :D

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 11:45:44 AM »
For that alone I will definitely need to order that book! I'm a huge Harpers fan! Thanks for the info, the book seems very interesting.  :D

Are you referring to British Harpers & Queen or American Harper's Bazzar?

Am I going crazy or is American Vogue covering everything now except fashion?

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 11:57:52 AM »
I, for one, prefer Harper's [both uk & us].
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 12:02:50 PM »
IMO the best part about American Vogue is the advertisments.  I but fashion magazines to read ABOUT FASHION not the people who where fashion.  I miss the Vogue of Diane Veerland's era.  Diane Veerland thought very highly of Wallis Simpson & Irina's personal style.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.