Author Topic: Felix and Irina's fashion house, Irfe.  (Read 42242 times)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Felix and Irina's fashion house, Irfe.
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 12:42:07 PM »
TB- her name is/was VREELAND!
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 01:52:49 PM »
Mr fingers were typing faster than Brain!  :D :D :D

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline scarlett_riviera

• Boyar
  • Spear Britney!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 03:01:11 AM »
I like Harpers & Queen. Some of the articles they write are really good! I haven't heard of the Bolshoi (spelling?) Theatre until I read their article on it. I haven't picked up a Vogue cover in like foreeeever. But if they'd write an article about Irfe or something I wouldn't hesitate to buy it! =D

In memory of Grand Duke Dimitri! The man had style.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 07:49:51 AM »
I like Harpers & Queen. Some of the articles they write are really good! I haven't heard of the Bolshoi (spelling?) Theatre until I read their article on it. I haven't picked up a Vogue cover in like foreeeever. But if they'd write an article about Irfe or something I wouldn't hesitate to buy it! =D

This is my point exactly!!!  American Vogue would run an article about Marie-Chantal, CP of Greece, wearing Valentino.  The artcle would be about Marie Chantal not Valentino.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 12:49:26 PM »

Ad for Irfe

A Irfe dress from 1927

Offline pookiepie

• Boyar
  • vee are, how you say, Norvegians!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 01:50:42 PM »
where did you find these pictures? i love the ad.

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 01:55:33 PM »

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 02:33:38 AM »

Ad for Irfe

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 11:53:23 PM »

Drawings from the magazine Paris elegant of designs for daytime summer dresses from the houses of Irfe, Les Soeurs Willy and Christiane November 1927

Offline Alexandre64

• Knyaz
    • View Profile

Offline Alexandre64

• Knyaz
    • View Profile

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 08:01:51 AM »
Look, it's being brought back by Xenia Sfris!

Russian label Irfe, founded by exiled aristocrats, rises from its ashes in Paris

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/07/01/arts/France-Fashion-Russia.php

PARIS: The history of Russian fashion label Irfe reads like a rollicking bestseller, but for designer Olga Sorokina, it's a fairytale come true.

Almost eight decades after the original house of Irfe shuttered its doors, Sorokina presented her first collection for the label during couture week in Paris, with the hope of restoring it to its former glory.

Models paraded on the steps of the Palais de Tokyo contemporary art museum in bias-cut silk gowns and rich astrakhan fur jackets inspired by the sleek fashions of the 1920s and 1930s.

"The story of this house is a part of Russia's history and heritage," Sorokina, speaking through an interpreter, told reporters at the presentation late on Monday.

Founded in Paris in 1924 by Prince Felix Yusupov and his wife Irina, the niece of the last Russian Czar Nicholas II, Irfe rapidly conquered a following amid chic European and American customers who were dazzled by its aristocratic founders.

The fact that Yusupov had played a part in the murder of the self-declared holy man Rasputin at his family palace in St. Petersburg added a frisson of excitement.

But the prince had little business sense, and two years after the 1929 Wall Street crash ruined his most prosperous clients, Yusupov was forced to shutter Irfe.

Only two of the house's original creations survive, as many American clients used to clip the labels out of the dresses they bought in Paris in the hope of evading customs duties.

Sorokina said she was drawn to the label after reading "Beauty in Exile," fashion historian's Alexandre Vassiliev's account of the artists, models and nobility who fled the Russian revolution and influenced the world of fashion.

She contacted Xenia Sphiris, the granddaughter of the founders, who agreed to relaunch the brand.

"We thought about it and we talked about it and the idea was fantastic, and I know that my grandparents loved that house," Sphiris, who was born Sheremeteva, told The Associated Press.

She said the label was financially backed by Russian businessman Andrei Strukov, but Strukov declined to comment on his involvement or to detail the shareholder structure of the new firm.

The relaunch of Irfe is testament to the growing purchasing power of Russia's new rich, who have joined the exclusive coterie of haute couture clients in recent years.

Sorokina, a 23-year-old former model from Belarus, is riding on the coattails of this meteoric rise.

She confessed she was nervous presenting her creations in Paris, where prestigious houses like Chanel and Christian Dior are unveiling their latest made-to-measure creations to wealthy clients this week. Nonetheless, she was confident of making her mark.

"Paris is definitely still the capital of fashion, but in a few years Russian designers will break out in the international market," predicted Sorokina, who was dressed in a close-fitting cream silk trouser suit of her own design.

Irfe has bold plans for a fledgling firm. It expects to open its first store on Moscow's exclusive Stoleshnikov Lane this winter, with further shops planned in Paris, Milan and New York.

Irfe also plans to introduce a perfume range and a line of jewelry based on the legendary jewels of the Yusupov, Sheremetev and Romanov families.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 08:07:03 AM »
Here's another one

I guess by descendants of Czars/Tsars they mean Xenia Sfris through Xenia Alexandrovna?

Czar's descendants re-launch Roaring 20s fashion house

by Claire Rosemberg Tue Jul 1, 12:08 PM ET

PARIS (AFP) - Descendants of Russia's fallen czars and the cream of global fashion feted the re-launch Monday of a 1920s label founded by high-society Bolshevik exiles, the Romanovs and Yusupovs, for the international elite of the time.

Champagne flowed and waiters kept trays of tidbits circulating at a crowded open-air evening launch appropriately held amid the towering columns of the art deco 1930s Palais de Tokyo in a posh part of town.

"This is incredible, a dream," said star-of-the-evening Countess Xenia Sheremeteva-Yusupov, also known as just Mrs Ilia Sphiris, grand-daughter of the illustrious couple who in 1924 founded Irfe, a fashion house with a brief but equally illustrious history.

"I know how much my grandparents loved that house," she added.

Oxford-educated prince Felix Yusupov, descendant of a famed Russian dynasty dating its roots back to the Islamic Prophet Ali, inherited one of the biggest fortunes of Russia, cavorted across Europe, hob-nobbed with the rich and arty, and wound up banished from court after taking part in Rasputin's assassination.

In 1914, he married Princess Irini Romanov, related to Nicholas II and said to have been one of the most dazzling beauties of the time. The couple fled Russia in 1919 to live in relative comfort and style in emigre circles in Italy, then France.

Lovers of fine arts and fine things, the white Russian pair in 1924 founded the house of Irfe in Paris, after the first two letters in each of their names, launching their first collection at the Ritz and then showing inside their own theatre, built in their Parisian home.

Noted by Vogue and popular with American millionairesses, Irfe offered hand-embroidered, hand-painted elegance, but crashed in 1931 due to the dire straits of its clientele after the Great Depression.

Monday's 2008 revival harked back to the glory days.

A batch of 24 skinny models, with hair slicked back and thick pencilled eyebrows, posed for cameras in long slinky satin numbers on high steps inside the Paris palace, like a mini-version of a Ziegfeld Follies.

Worn with very, very high heels, the Irfe renaissance collection featured evening tuxedos, flowing gowns, swathes of fur and a couple of chic day-coats perfect for a ride on the Orient Express.

"My goal," said designer Olga Sorokina, a 23-year-old former model from Belarus, "is the revival of Russian tradition. This house was born when Russian people played an important role in fashion."

Irfe, she said, planned to open a store in Moscow next winter not far from top luxury house Louis Vuitton, then open boutiques in Milan and Paris.

"This brand is so much part of Russian history that there was no problem in finding investors," said Sorokina, a tall thin blonde dressed in white satin with a purple bow who heads the house as well as being chief designer.

Countess Sheremeteva-Yusupov, who has given her blessing to the revived Irfe, said the idea of re-launching a Russia house had come from Sorokina and one of her associates.

(note to mods: the reason I'm posting the entire article is that Yahoo! and some other sites kill their links after a few weeks or even days and the story will no longer be available to read, leaving a dead link and lost info)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 04:17:37 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 09:24:44 AM »
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Offline Felicia

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 11:48:32 AM »
Really beautiful fashions.
Well, Felix in his memories wrote also about parfume magazine, if I am not mistaken (which was with Irfe). Am I right?
I'm sorry for possible mistakes