Author Topic: Marie Feodorovna--WWI and the Crimea  (Read 37889 times)

NAAOTMA

Re: Marie Feodorovna--WWI and the Crimea
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2005, 10:15:19 AM »
Kiev was also a beautiful city with a sophisticated tone and all the amenities. The Dowager Empress would have been comfortable there, be able to continue her rounds of hospital visits, and have some members of her immediate family right there. It was a really perfect choice of a place for her.

AlexP

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2005, 09:20:50 AM »
Kiev was also a beautiful city with a sophisticated tone and all the amenities. The Dowager Empress would have been comfortable there, be able to continue her rounds of hospital visits, and have some members of her immediate family right there. It was a really perfect choice of a place for her.

Kiev was by no means the end-of-the-world in preRevolutionary Russia.  It was a beautiful, architecturally-pleasing city, with hundreds of beautiful old churches and monasteries.  The Maryinsky Palace where the Empress lived was a Baroque-Rococco delight, and compared to Petersburg, the climate was surely easier to take.  The Opera House in Kiev (unfortunately where Stolypin was murdered) was and is also a jewel.   The city ran like a European city but felt like a Slavic one.  Frankly, it was probably more cosmopolitan than Petersburg in many cases -- a larger and very often prosperous Jewish community on the "Podoli", a sizeable Polish Catholic minority, a Ukrainian Catholic minority, some Volga Germans who had made their way to the city, etc., etc.  Additionally, one tends to forget that the Ukraine, in those days, was basically the breadbasket of all of Europe.  It was a far different Ukraine than one we know today.  Additionally, the Mescherskii, with whom the Empress Dowager was on cordial relations, had a very active and quite literary branch near Kiev.

But more than that, the Empress Dowager was a "presence" in Kiev.  She did not have to compete with the Empress, who frankly was loathed in Kiev on a scale equal to anywhere else.  The Empress Dowager held court.  For whatever reason, and I do not accept the daugther-new husband story, it was a brilliant strategic move.  And a move that saved her life.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AlexP »

NAAOTMA

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2005, 01:49:26 PM »
Joanna, thank you so much for posting the link to the thread of photographs of Kiev. It was very interesting to look at the photos.

Offline lancashireladandre

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2005, 02:34:09 PM »
It was through the herculean labours of her son in law Grand Duke Alexander Mihailovitch who organised the exodus to Yalta, that Dagmar and her daughter Olga got out of Kiev. The trip took a week and a train guarded by loyal sappers was assembled by AM.No small feat.Grand Duchess Xenia's flight from St Petersburg was no doubt aided by her in laws the Youssoupoff's with whom she travelled. In the early days of the revolution it was still possible to travel in customary style. Princess Olga Petrovna Doulgoruky the aged mother of the Dowager's chamberlain travelled
to her estate near Livadia from Petrograd in her usual private railway car with her personal maid,complement of cooks and maids and huge amount of luggage not to mention her grandaughter with her English governess.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2005, 08:57:38 AM »
MF, GDss Olga, Xenia and GD Alexander with others at Aj Todor in April 1917.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2005, 12:26:14 AM »
GD Alexander looks moody, the others try to be calm... :(
Thanks for posting, Kmerov.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 03:54:30 PM »
You are welcome  :).

A picture taken right after the Germans occupied the Crimea.
You can see GD Nikolasha, Sandro, MF, GD Peter and his wife Militza (not very clear). They are in the courtyard at Djulber.

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2006, 08:20:05 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone knew the identity of all the people in the picture of MF, Xenia and Sandro, and Olga above?

Thanks!

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2006, 06:48:12 PM »
kmerov,

I know that this picture includes the Dowager Empress, Xenia, Sandro, Olga, and at least five of the princes, and I think Olga's husband. I'm just not sure of the identities of the three other people.

Thanks!

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2006, 12:50:56 PM »
I just checked my book and the man sitting left to Olga is Prince Orbeliani, an aide-de camp to Sandro.
The two people behind MF are Nicholai Fogel, also aide-de camp to Sandro, and the woman is Olga Konstantinovna Vasiljeva, a nurse at GD Olgas hospital in Kiev, and mistress to Sandro.

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2006, 06:06:55 PM »
Thank you very much. I am trying to find out more about those that accompanied the Romanovs onto the Marlborough. I was really interested in this picture.

Thanks again!

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2006, 07:58:51 PM »
kmerov, is their a source that says that Olga Vassilieva was Sandro's mistress? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that from the different things written about her in Xenia's biography and Sandro's autobiography I find it very easy to believe.

In Xenia's biography it says that "O.K." (Vassiliva) cried after Sandro's departure on the Forsythe. In Sandro's autobiography he states that it was his friendships with Grand Duchess Olga and Olga Vassiliev that got him through the war, presumably when he was in Kiev. I also that it highly odd that she was supposed to be a friend of Grand Duchess Olga's yet she isn't mentioned in her biography and she remained with Minnie, Xenia, Sandro, etc. even after Olga and her husband split from the family to go out on their own. I think she was even listed as a maid to the Dowager Empress.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2006, 07:51:31 AM »
I got it from the published diaries of MF, were the editor says she was Sandros mistress.

MF writes that the eldest children disliked her, because she had gotten between them and their father.

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2006, 09:57:21 AM »
Thank you for sharing that. I had no idea that the older children felt that way toward her! I thought after reading about the newspaper that they started together that they all got along.

Thanks again!

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2006, 10:13:45 AM »
Any luck for others  to get the diaries ?  ;D It seemed to worth much just to look at the photos.