Author Topic: Marie Feodorovna--portraits & paintings  (Read 204144 times)

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
Re: Marie Feodorovna--portraits & paintings
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 05:39:30 AM »
How come Tuxen's painting only included Misha and not the rest of the children of MF and Alexander? Is it because Misha is their only favorite child? I mean if there's going to be a family portrait, why not include the rest of the children? Any inputs are appreciated. Thank you.
I think it was a "sketch" for the Danish familly portrait made by Tyxen...Christian IX and Queen Louise with their family in a garden pavilion of the Fredensborg Palace in 1883
General sketch:

close up:

Like this one of Alexandra and Prince of Walles:

I don't have the picture... Can someone post it, please?

More about Tuxen : http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/04/2006/hm4_1_143.html

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 03:17:59 PM »
Alexandra had a smaller-scale version painted as well as a segment of her, Bertie and Eddy (exactly as they are in the full version). It seems that most of the children and Louise & Christian had their sections done as separate pictures as well as the group. L&C's section is at Frederiksborg, I believe, as are many of the other small group portraits.

Tuxen did the preliminary sketches when the group was gathered in Denmark for Queen Louise's birthday as well as the background and composition. There's a copy of a preliminary portrait--minus Nicholas, George V and the future Christian X--from the background and Alexandra of Greece isn't next to Queen Olga. The figure of Misha is also slightly different. Misha is actually different in all 3 incarnations--the sketch, Queen Alexandra's copy and the finished picture. There were some additional changes to QA's version and the dog beside the Tsar is omitted and more of the ceiling (of the Garden Room) was shown. Her version was at Marlborough House, then Buckingham Palace and then returned to Marlborough House when she was widowed.

There were several photos of various family members (individually and in small groups) that were used to supplement the sketches that Tuxen did. Several of the photos were later published in magazines and in postcard/cabinet card form. The figures of Louise & Christian in the portrait are almost identical to the photos. Tuxen also travelled back to Denmark when the Greek royals were visiting and to Russia where AIII sat for him (and where one of his aides put on his uniform and took his place for some time). The segment he did here of MF, AIII and Misha was done at Gatchina in 1884. He also went to Gmunden in the fall to do the Cumberlands and then onto England to do the Waleses.

QV was impressed enough to ask Tuxen to do Beatrice's wedding (which he declined) and then later her own family gathering.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 03:20:13 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 05:51:03 AM »
Anyone of you have this wonderful portrait of Minnie without marks? I would appreciate, since I like so much this portrait...

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 11:11:26 AM »
Anyone of you have this wonderful portrait of Minnie without marks? I would appreciate, since I like so much this portrait...

Offline brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 06:43:20 PM »

you may have seen this already, but here's a painting either based on the foto, or done from life (in the same clothes):[/size]

here's a bit of a close-up of the famous (and oft posted ;-) foto of Mariia Feodorovna from 1896 (minus the crown in your foto).

and miniature (w/ 2 different ribbons) based on the foto:

and a very flattering close-up with the crown:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:36:41 AM by Svetabel »
"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

Offline brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »

click on image for larger version

by Emil' O. Vizel

"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

Offline melvin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 04:51:24 AM »
In June 1873 Marie Feodorova and her husband visited london as a guest of her sister the princess of Wales. I have a painting by the artist william salter(waterloo banquet) which looks like Marie but has a lable on the back describing the sitter as Alexandra Feodorovna-empress of Russia.The sitter is clearly not Alexandra Feodorovna but could it be Marie.
Does anybody know whether Marie sat for a portrait by Salter during her london visit in june 1873???

Offline melvin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 07:28:46 AM »
I would like to post an image of the painting but as i am new i do not know how to do this! can somebody please adsvise.  thx

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »
Hi Melvin,

1873:
You are right that it could not be Empress Alexandra Feodorovna as she was not Empress then and was only about 1 year old at the time.
It would be interesting if someone could post this picture as there are many experts on this Forum, who could identify it for you.

Larry

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 02:44:16 PM »
Here is the portrait painted by William Salter (1804-1875).

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 11:38:42 PM »
She doesn't look like herself in this picture...Her expression was entirely different, I think.  :-\

RealAnastasia.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 06:42:44 AM »
Either itīs not Maria Fyodorovna, or the painter was REALLY BAD in what he was doing. The picture doesnīt look anything like her!

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 06:51:21 AM »
Yes, the eyes are all wrong!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline melvin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »
Its good to get a bit of feedback. Just to tell you everything i know about this painting. I was painted by william salter who died in 1875,There is an old label on the back describing the sitter as "Alexandra Feodorovna-empress of Russia." I think this is idefinately wrong,but it is odd to describe anyone as such without there being some connection??
He was reasonably famous and a Royal academician.
The painting is signed on the front. w salter 187?. This would tie in with Maries trip to london for 3 months from june 1873 when she visited her sister and stayed at Marlborough house.
I can find no record of her sitting for salter but he may have painted  a poor image from a newspaper???
With Maries interest in art it is possible she sat for a portrait???
Victorian artists may  have produced a slightly "romanticised "image of their sitters??
I think the gold cross jewellry is slightly odd for an English victorian lady..does that mean anything to anyone???
It may well not be her, but i have had replies from a few "experts" who think it is .....
Thank you for any more thoughts.

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »
Question concerning the "Salter"painting:  Is the painting that the gentleman posting here owns, the VERY SAME (original) painting, shown as ID 101985, or is this gentleman's painting an EXACTING oil copy, perhaps with some age?  The price isn't shown or marked "sold", if after the fact, in the Country House Protraits' brief reference.  And what is "POA" (price on asking?)?  Is there any known provenance from Country House Portraits? That should be helpful. I am assuming that the oils the business offers ARE originals (as reflected in the asking price!).  AP.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:50:59 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »