Author Topic: Marie Feodorovna -  Your Opinion  (Read 82061 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Marie Feodorovna -  Your Opinion
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2010, 02:38:06 PM »
I think that MF is bossy but not cruel. She reacted that way because Alicky did not allow her free excess to her grandchildren unlike Xenia. Alicky was proud and utra-sensative and that is bound to clash with MF one way or the other.

Offline LauraO

• Boyar
  • You cannot imagine the half of my suffering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2010, 02:51:52 PM »
yes, point taken. mind you of course xenia would allow her free access- she was close to her mother. however i do feel that no matter what alix felt about marie at the end of the day it was not fair to not allow marie to have free access to them. on the other hand how must otmaa have felt when marie proudly broadcasted that irina was her favourite? i'd be severely ticked off! i do think the bad relationship between alicky and marie was a severe clash in personality, but i also feel that despite their opinions of each other marie did sometimes act unjustly towards alix even if she was pain in the backside. i think that MF controlling nature contributed to this. (imo)

also if  i was nicky i'd feel bad- my mother preferred my sisters kids to mine.

also i once read that when MF was staying with olga and family post the revolution olga found her, say "hard to live with", i also read the same of xenia pre the revolution, when spending excessive amount of time with MF- i could believe it of olga but not xenia, as i always thought they were close?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2010, 05:04:34 PM »
Well...Like it or not both Alicky & Minny were Empresses of Russia and their wishes were commands. Alicky could be cold and acid tongued while Minny was bossy and demanding (she was not mistress of the Romanov family for nothing even though she was much nicer than Miechen or Olga Feodorovna (Grand Duchess Michael of Russia)).

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2010, 11:33:23 PM »

also i once read that when MF was staying with olga and family post the revolution olga found her, say "hard to live with", i also read the same of xenia pre the revolution, when spending excessive amount of time with MF- i could believe it of olga but not xenia, as i always thought they were close?

Xenia was closer to Maria Fedorovna actually than Olga. As she didn't try to rebel due to her character and far more free life with her own family. Olga had to live near MF . But both sisters were afraid of their bossy mother and Olga's decision to go away in 1919 with her - at last HER OWN family - was very hard and MF's reaction to it was very egoistic. When I was reading MF's diaries of 1914-1919 years I felt irritated at many Empress' sentences about her daughters - they sounded nice and egoistic and cruel at the same time.

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2010, 12:20:50 AM »

When I was reading MF's diaries of 1914-1919

Svetabel, were these diaries published in Russian a few years back? I thought I saw a book along those lines, but because I can't read Russian it wasn't one I bought.

I have always had the impression that MF loved her family...but she had to be the pampered center of it..  It's not surprising in many ways that MF and AF did not get along. They were both strong personalities, but in very different ways. 

Offline LauraO

• Boyar
  • You cannot imagine the half of my suffering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2010, 12:28:13 AM »
i always had the impression she was close to her family as well and for some reason very doting. like i said before i respect her for her role in imperial russia- and unlike some do feel that many of her feelings and anguishes towards alix were justified to some extent with alix's, as you put so well "cold nature" and "acid tongued" remarks. her actions towards OA at some stages of her life i do not feel however can be greatly justfied without bringing in undesirable personality traits.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2010, 01:03:03 AM »

When I was reading MF's diaries of 1914-1919

Svetabel, were these diaries published in Russian a few years back? I thought I saw a book along those lines, but because I can't read Russian it wasn't one I bought.

Yes, the diaries of 1914-1923in Russian. Great source of info.

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2010, 01:18:35 AM »

Yes, the diaries of 1914-1923in Russian. Great source of info.

they would be required reading I would think if you are going to write anything original about MF or do any proper research on her. A pity they aren't available in english

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2010, 03:37:37 AM »
'yeh, didn't olgas boys wind her up because they were too loud and noisy?'

I think that was probably Xenia's boys, who were known for being 'rather wild' (see John van der Kiste: Once a Grand Duchess).

Ann

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2010, 06:14:16 AM »
'yeh, didn't olgas boys wind her up because they were too loud and noisy?'

I think that was probably Xenia's boys, who were known for being 'rather wild' (see John van der Kiste: Once a Grand Duchess).

Ann

Olga's boys were quite irritating for their Grandma when they lived in Denmark, in 1920s. Old Empress didn't want to see Olga's husband and got tired of noisy grandsons. Don't think they were SO noisy, just little boys full of life and energy...Empress  was old, ill and with bitter feelings ,so the grandsons weren't the apples in her eye.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »
Yes. She was too old to like noisy little boys. But I think she like her great granddaughters.

Alas ! I hope the dairies would be translated to English one day.  :(

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »
I can't imagine what this poor woman must have felt after the revolution.  The Bolsheviks murdered two of her sons, five of her grandchildren, and her daughter-in-law (I know she and Alix didn't get along, but I don't think even Marie would have wished his fate on her).  How do you come back from a tragedy like that.  I can see why, when Anna Anderson first popped up, Marie might have had a faint hope that one of her grandchildren got away.  Of course, that hope was quickly dashed.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2010, 06:06:15 PM »
I think Minny only very late in life accepted the death of her eldest son & family. To top that off the pretensions of Kyrill was quite distressing to her too...

Offline Empire

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2010, 06:15:36 AM »
I think Minny only very late in life accepted the death of her eldest son & family. To top that off the pretensions of Kyrill was quite distressing to her too...

Why, what did Kyrill do?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2010, 11:36:08 AM »
He and Nicholasha began competing for the "head of the family", with a crowned dowager empress still alive, that was pretty premature. She wrote that the discussion to be shoved until after her death.