Author Topic: GD Xenia / Anna Anderson Comparison  (Read 22122 times)

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
GD Xenia / Anna Anderson Comparison
« on: June 09, 2005, 07:38:55 AM »
Reading "Once A Grand Duchess" yesterday, I was struck by a photograph of Grand Duchesses Xenia and Olga. GD Xenia looked so like Anna Anderson. I can't  find the pic on the web, but here's what I did find.

[BTW, please bear in mind, I am not a supporter of AA's case; to my mind she was a sad woman not in her right mind. But the likeness, to me, is somewhat uncanny.]

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
Re: GD Xenia / Anna Anderson Comparison
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 12:53:00 PM »
I see similarities especially in the mouth.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline RussiaSunbeam1918

• Knyaz
  • "You've got to hide your love away." -The Beatles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 02:12:24 PM »
The AA picture and the one of Xenia in the lower corner especially, seem to have a simmilarity in the eyes (sort of)

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 03:37:57 PM »
Yes, the eyes and mouth are particularly similar, but even the lower jaw, nose and eyebrows too. 'Tis strange that AA doesn't look anything like GD Anastasia (IMO at least) when she is the most famous AN claimant.

The lower left picture is the original of the one on the right. I tried to make it bigger but it blurred.

Offline RussiaSunbeam1918

• Knyaz
  • "You've got to hide your love away." -The Beatles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 03:43:42 PM »
I realized that after I had posted. Sorry.

You are right, the nose and jaw are very simmilar too. Yeah, IMO, AA doesn't really look like AN. But there is a resemblance here....

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 07:55:34 PM »
Thank you for sharing this with us, Lass. The ressemblance is amazing! Really!  :) You know me as an AA supporter, but even as one I have loooots of questions without answer about her. For example: why she DOESN'T ressemble HERSELF some years later? I'm a perfect idiot posting photos (I must learn to do it!  ;) I must!  ;D), but if you compare AA first spanshots with later ones, you'll notice that she had slimest features, specially in her nose and mouth...And her eyes were DIFFERENT too!!! LOL  :D Opinions?

RealAnastasia.

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 04:37:33 AM »
Oh, I didn't realise that you were an AA supporter; well, it's good to have people of all opinions on here! I haven't seen later pics of AA - yes you must learn to post photos! ;) (PM me if you like. :) )

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 09:23:12 AM »
Indeed - good point. It would have been less easy for AA to claim to be someone who was actually living in England at the time. :P I'm sure you'll enjoy "Once A Grand Duchess"; I'm halfway through and am finding it very interesting. Not the best written of books, but informative for someone who knows very little about GD Xenia, like myself!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lass »

Offline etonexile

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 10:40:12 AM »
How rude of XA to be alive ::)....but the age thing might have been a problem too...for some people....

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 12:31:18 PM »
How rude of XA to be alive ::)....but the age thing might have been a problem too...for some people....

Lol; sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, they say. But at least it is wit. ;)

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 06:53:39 PM »
Hi, Lass! You are right..I MUST learn to post photos here. This is not easy for me for the moment, as long as I don't have a photobucket account. I may email you privately and send you the photos to you to post. Anyway I don't know if I may post them here, for they come from Peter Kurth site, and they must be copyrighted. Sadly, I couldn't get AA photos from other places than Peter Kurth site, for there aren't any... :-[ It's hard to have good AA photos, beside the few ones we all know. There are all in the net. The photos from the Blair Lovell books are not clear, and not good at all.

I may post here the link to Peter Kurth site, and you will see good AA photos posted there. The author always has his site updated and with new photos in it. The photos are amazing, and you'll notice what I was saying: the first photos of AA are very different than later ones! Really!  ;D

Here is the link:

www.peterkurth.com

Good luck!

RealAnastasia

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 08:20:08 AM »
Actually, I know what you mean. She does resemble Xenia.  I see it in the pic that's at the bottom left.  But I think there's other pics of AA that are much better to compare that Xenia pic with than the one that was posted of AA.

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 10:16:00 AM »
 But I think there's other pics of AA that are much better to compare that Xenia pic with than the one that was posted of AA.

Could you post them? I'd be interested to see a better match. As I said, I can't find the photo I wanted to of GD Xenia on the web.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 03:11:01 PM »
It's funny how people point out resemblances with other members of the IF--ie Ksenia, Maria Feodorovna--whe nshe looked nothing like Anastasia... in fact, she looked a little more like Maria to me, with the large mouth!  And the nose was totally different, very large and pointy, whereas Anastasia's wasn't.  

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 01:27:59 PM »
I always thought she resembled Tatiana slightly.  I'll see if I can find a good comparison Lass. :)