Author Topic: identification  (Read 226266 times)

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
  • . Emiliya Brianaiovna . Ella of Hesse .
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
Re: identification
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2005, 07:03:47 AM »
The first one is Olga......is she comb with tresses??

I donīt belive she had such a long hair at this age.

yup thats olga and maira!

umm well i think she had her hair up at the time. but i think she might have let it loose right in that picture. but i can't be all to shure.
So keep me awake for every moment
Give us more time to be this way
We can't stay like this forever
But I can have you next to me today
. Josh Groban .

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2005, 07:51:05 AM »
I can assure you. It is definatly Olga and then Maria (With Nicky).

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2005, 08:05:40 AM »
I think you may be right, Ortino. If I look closely at the frieze along the ceiling, I think I see dragonflies among the morning glories! That door in the background probably does lead to the hall, since the other doorways in the room were located at right angles to the windows at the outside corners of the room.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:56:42 AM by Svetabel »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2005, 11:27:38 AM »
That's definetly Olga and then Maria.
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THESE PICS! I have never seen the second one and the first only once before!!!
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2005, 04:17:18 PM »
I think you may be right, Ortino. If I look closely at the frieze along the ceiling, I think I see dragonflies among the morning glories! That door in the background probably does lead to the hall, since the other doorways in the room were located at right angles to the windows at the outside corners of the room.

Here's  a thread with the upstairs floorplans:
http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=palace;action=display;num=1082893477

I noticed the dragonflies right away and it made me jump in my seat with excitement! ;D As I've never seen the back wall of either of the girls' rooms, thank you very much sarahelizabethii! ;D ;D ;D It would have to be one of the girls' rooms anyway, considering that on the immediate right a striped campbed is noticeable. I just noticed that next to Marie, a fireplace can be made out on a portion of the wall I've never understood. In this painting of Olga/Tatiana's room (ALWAYS labeled incorrectly as Marie/Anastasia's room) it is instantly noticeable that the back wall is wallpapered while the rest is painted. What was behind it? I've never understood the need for it or if it was just an architectural detail. Also, what is that thing hanging on the ceiling in both the picture and the painting?

http://www.alexanderpalace.com/anastasia/images/amroom.jpeg

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2005, 05:43:19 PM »
I haven't got a clue about that hangy-down thing.

I would think the section that looks wallpapered is actually a screen to separate their beds from the rest of the room. I know in one of the girls' wartime letters to the tsar, she mentions removing the screens from near their beds during warm weather to get some more air into the room. I had the small 2-3 panel sort of dressing screens in mind when I read it and couldn't figure out how that would have made such a difference in air circulation. But if they were more like partitions, that would explain things.

As for the fireplace -- I don't see it in the photo. To the left of Maria's head, I see what looks like a small dressing screen (rather like the green one that appears on the right of the painting you posted) and on the right an icon holder built into the wall. Wait a minute -- do you mean the ledge to the left of the screen may be a mantlepiece? I don't see any indication of a fireplace on the floorplan, but didn't the downstairs rooms have them in similar locations?
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2005, 08:31:02 PM »
I haven't got a clue about that hangy-down thing.

I would think the section that looks wallpapered is actually a screen to separate their beds from the rest of the room. I know in one of the girls' wartime letters to the tsar, she mentions removing the screens from near their beds during warm weather to get some more air into the room. I had the small 2-3 panel sort of dressing screens in mind when I read it and couldn't figure out how that would have made such a difference in air circulation. But if they were more like partitions, that would explain things.

As for the fireplace -- I don't see it in the photo. To the left of Maria's head, I see what looks like a small dressing screen (rather like the green one that appears on the right of the painting you posted) and on the right an icon holder built into the wall. Wait a minute -- do you mean the ledge to the left of the screen may be a mantlepiece? I don't see any indication of a fireplace on the floorplan, but didn't the downstairs rooms have them in similar locations?

Well, the wallpapered area looks quite solid, so I don't know if they were able to move it. It has pictures on it and everything. I would think if they were going to move something, it would be the partitions. Their beds were not separated from the rest of the room really other than with paneled screens, so I don't see how it would serve a purpose there. If I didn't know already that their wardrobes were kept in the bathroom area I would have assumed that it would have a type of closet area. Perhaps it was a dressing room/preparation area? I'm sure the bathroom would not have been that private with four girls sharing it. The only problems with that is that I don't see any way to get around that wall and into the area "behind" it. As can be seen, the wall next to the door is solid, with a painting hanging on the left.

Yes, I meant the mantlepiece looking ledge by Marie.  :) It would seem a rather odd place to have a shelf-usually they're much higher up on the wall. This is halfway between the ceiling and the floor, indicating that it might be the mantlepiece to a fireplace. Besides, I think it just looks like a fireplace-it has all the correct features. From looking at both the first and second floor plans, the girls' rooms seem to be above the Mauve Room and Pallisander Room, both of which contain fireplaces. The Mauve's is even on the same wall as Olga/Tatiana's, which would explain why it might be located there in their room, while the Pallisander's is in the corner on an angle. The playroom also had a fireplace, so I would not be surprised if all the children had them as well. Wait-perhaps the space behind the wallpapered wall was an architectural necessity to accomodate the fireplace?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2005, 08:48:26 PM »
About those camp beds -- has anybody got a good photo of them? The only beds I've ever seen a really clear shot of are the brass sickbeds. Even the photo of the GDs' bedroom in the Ipatiev House shows the headboards draped with blankets and the footboards obscured by chairs stacked with clothes...

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2005, 09:50:18 PM »

yup thats olga and maira!

umm well i think she had her hair up at the time. but i think she might have let it loose right in that picture. but i can't be all to shure.

Yes, Olga HAD her hair up in those times, but she was a bed in this moment and people didn't wore her hair up in the bed.

RealAnastasia.

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2005, 09:51:25 PM »
About those camp beds -- has anybody got a good photo of them? The only beds I've ever seen a really clear shot of are the brass sickbeds. Even the photo of the GDs' bedroom in the Ipatiev House shows the headboards draped with blankets and the footboards obscured by chairs stacked with clothes...

I've never seen a full view of the Grand Duchesses' beds, but here's a very good one of Alexei's. I'd imagine that the girls' ones wasn't very different, except perhaps without the side protection.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/booboogbs/AlexeiMogilev1916.jpg

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2005, 06:46:42 AM »

Yes, Olga HAD her hair up in those times, but she was a bed in this moment and people didn't wore her hair up in the bed.

RealAnastasia.

yeah i was going to say. keeping your hair up well you sleep would kill!
. Josh Groban .

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2005, 01:08:58 PM »
Would their beds have looked like this?

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2005, 04:44:04 PM »
isn't that the room when they were underhouse arrest?
. Josh Groban .

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2005, 05:01:16 PM »
Yes but the beds seem to be the same as the one of Alexei. Maybe these were the beds they always had with them.

Offline Olga_Anna

• Knyaz
  • ~Looking for stars, Listening for angels~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2005, 05:58:39 PM »
Yes, those were the same beds. They took those beds with them everywhere they went even to house arrest, I think they even took them to Livadia also.