Author Topic: identification  (Read 224912 times)

julia.montague

Re: identification
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2006, 01:18:22 PM »
1915 is more realistic than in imprisonment. They have long hair and look younger

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2006, 01:38:43 PM »
Yes, Yelisaveta, you are right. Alexei still has a sailor suit on, and Nicholas has his epaulettes on his uniform.  I didn't look closely enough! I just saw their rather miserable faces and thought perhaps it was at Tsarskoe Selo in 1917.

So, definitely not in imprisonment then.  Can anyone shed more light?

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2006, 02:51:12 PM »
The first things about the photo that struck me was a) hair length b) clothes.

Olga and Tatiana both have their hair up, indicating that it has to be at least 1913. Marie doesn't have her hair up meaning that it has to be before June of 1915, because Marie would have been 16 then. Also, during the war, Alix didn't buy the girls new clothes and the trend of their fancy matching outfits generally disappears. Alexei also started to wear uniforms instead of sailor suits to support the Russian army. My best guess would be either right after the start of the war--autumn, early winter of 1914--or sometime before August 1914, perhaps the spring.

The Empress' devotion to nursing began as early as the end of 1914, so she, Olga, and Tatiana would probably have been wearing uniforms if it was taken in 1915.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2006, 08:26:21 AM »
Yes, I  agree with ortino. It's not a photo you often see, I don't think. Generally, the date given for it is 1915, but for the reasons ortino stated, it may be earlier. It's a nice photo, and I have sometimes wondered about it as well, so thanks for starting this thread.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2006, 11:11:45 AM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2006, 11:14:04 AM »
I found this portrait done by Winifried Ursula Nikolson who was at the beginning of the 20th century one of the court painters in St.Peterburg!This portrait remindes me of one of the Hesse sisters...What do you think?It doesn't say who it is...

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2006, 04:21:44 PM »
It also looks like Ella to me,but since I am not such an expert I just wanted to ask...Thanks for your opinion Crazy :)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2007, 10:59:18 PM »
Some help with who is who!  ;D

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2007, 07:18:36 AM »
I'd been wondering about that one, too. My best guess on the grand duchesses is (l to r):
Olga, Tatiana, Maria

Because....it looks to me like all of them are wearing their hair up, which rules out Anastasia. I'm pretty darn sure that's Tatiana in the middle, and I think Olga would have been too thin to be the GD on the right.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Stasie

• Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2007, 11:50:01 AM »
Could someone please identify the baby Alix is with? I think it's Marie, but I'm not sure.

Offline Stasie

• Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2007, 11:27:49 AM »
Could someone tell me who is in this picture? I can obviously see the Tsar, but who are the other three people?

Offline Condecontessa

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2007, 01:30:22 PM »
I believe from left to right- Olga Nicholaievna, Olga Alexandrovna, Tatiana and the Tsar. It was taken in the Crimea. You know, I wonder who took the picture. Was it Alexandra, Maria, Anastasia or possibly Alexei. Does Alexei have his own camera, I wonder.

Condecontessa

Offline Stasie

• Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »
Thank you so much  :D

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2007, 04:02:02 PM »
Could someone please identify the baby Alix is with? I think it's Marie, but I'm not sure.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa312/otmaa/Alix/1a8xx.jpg

Yes, that's Maria. The court was in mourning in 1899 (perhaps for the tsar's brother Gerogiy?) and that's why Alix is wearing black in Maria's formal baby photos.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Condecontessa

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Thank you Sarushka for identifying that particular photo. I myself debated if it was Tatiana or Maria since to me they looked similar when they were infants (Duh, they're sisters ;D).  I read in a book once that Alexandra gave a copy of that photo to Xenia enclosed in a Faberge frame.