Author Topic: identification  (Read 224695 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: identification
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
I've always seen it labeled as Aleksei, but it's hard to be certain.

I think there's a very good possibility that it's Aleksei. I have a few other photos of him as a toddler wearing a sailor suit with a skirt, and long hair with bangs. It appears that he didn't begin wearing a hat that said Standart until he was old enough to wear trousers.

The girls also wore a similar hairstyle and dress as toddlers, but if the date (1906) is correct, it can't be one of them.

At any rate, I think it must be one of OTMAA, and it probably is Aleksei. With the possible exception of Dickie Mountbatten, I don't think I've ever seen a child other than OTMAA photographed on the Standart.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Gabriella

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2007, 06:11:44 PM »
Thankyou! And...err I have another question. (That's all I seem to do :D)

Who is the boy here with MA and Alexei?

The boy is Ernie's eldest son Georg-Donatus (1906-1937).

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 13, 2008, 06:40:28 AM »

I can understand a parent being reluctant to pose with the exiled imperial family. It may have been cute and harmless for a toddler to be photographed with a bald grand duchess, but perhaps not wise for an adult to link him or herself with the overthrown regime. Or perhaps a passing child was lifted over the fence to play -- the grand duchesses did love to fuss over little children, and the fence was not prohibitively high -- but an adult was not allowed in.

Our main source for info during the IF's captivity is Alix's diary, and that may explain why there's no mention of the child in the existing record. Alix often stayed indoors during the alloted exercise period, and perhaps never met the child. I would imagine the grand duchesses would have written about it in their diaries, but to my knowledge none of their diaries from captivity have survived.

I can not remember where, perhaps in some GD's letter, I read about a little boy, a six years old Tolia (nickname for Anatoly). He was the child of a women who came regulary at the beginning to clean the governor's house. Perhaps is that this Tolia?

Offline Nemos

• Knyaz
  • У Жака простака спина широка
    • View Profile
    • Царское Село
« Reply #213 on: March 26, 2008, 06:44:19 AM »

At Jacque of the gawk...
book-old.ru

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2008, 07:27:53 AM »

This is 1896 year, coronation of Emperor Nicholas II.
Sitting on the floor: Princess Olga of Wuerttemberg
Sitting (left to right): GDss Alexandra Iosifovna, Duchess Louise of Connaught
Standing (left to right): Princess Elsa of Wuerttemberg, Duchess Vera of Wuerttemberg, GDss Anastasia of Mecklenbourg-Schwerin, GDss Maria Pvalovna-elder, GDss Elena Vladimirovna, GDss Elizaveta Mavrikievna, Princess Elena of Saxe-Altenbourg.
Back row: pages.

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »
Hello everyone!

Wel...l i was browsing the Beinicke albums and i found these pictures of a handsome hussar. I would love to know who he is..

Thanks!

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Nemos

• Knyaz
  • У Жака простака спина широка
    • View Profile
    • Царское Село
« Reply #216 on: September 13, 2008, 12:21:38 PM »
"Сашка Воронцов", Лейб-гвардия Гусарский Его Величества полка  штабс - ротмистр граф Александр Воронцов - Дашков. Царское Село, Волконская улица (современная Парковая), дом командира Гусарского полка В.Н.Воейкова. (1910).

"Sashka Vorontsov", Lejb-gvardija Hussar of Its Majesty of a regiment shtabs - the captain count Alexander Vorontsov - Dashkov. Tsarskoje Selo, Volkonsky street (modern Park), the house of the commander of the Hussar regiment of V.N.Voejkova. (1910).

http://geglov2.narod.ru/Albom_Imper/004/Albom4_35.html

P.S.

Был сегодня в доме А.Вырубовой. Сделали ремонт в стиле дачи А.Пушкина.
Was today in A.Vyrubovoj's house. Have made repair in style of a summer residence of A.Pushkina.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:28:20 PM by Nemos »
At Jacque of the gawk...
book-old.ru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 13, 2008, 12:52:02 PM »
Thanks you so much for your answer, Nemos!

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Offline Gabriella

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2008, 06:03:53 PM »
Does anyone know who the two boys are in this pic, and which Grand Duchess is in the pic. I think its Marie:

As Grandduchessella told the boys in the picture are Ernie's sons, Georg-Donatus (Don) and Louis. THe picture was made in 1910 when the Imperial Fiamily stayed in Friedberg, a town north of Darmstadt and Frankfurt on the Main while Alix took the spas in Bad Nauheim. Afterwards there was a family gathering in Darmstadt and Wolfsgarten.

Does anybody know whos's the lady in the wheel-chair? She has a close resemblance to Grandduchess Eleonore (Onor), the mother of the boys,
but she also resembles Alix.

I also would like to know where the picture was taken. The house in the background looks like the so-called tea-house which is on the grounds of Wolfsgarten. But I am not quite sure.

Regards, Gabriella.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2008, 08:49:34 PM »
IMO, the grand duchess in the photo is more likely Olga than Maria. She looks more like a 15-year-old than an 11-year-old to me.
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 22, 2008, 06:41:26 AM »
I need your expert help over here =D

Someone posted the next illustration in another forum about royalty. She said it is Nicky and Alicky s wedding...but i clearly see she s wrong

Who are these peopleż. The groom looks to much like Alexander II

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 22, 2008, 11:36:48 AM »
That is lovely picture. I think I can recognise Marie Feodorovna in the back. And I believe that is conoration illustration, I don't know for sure.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 22, 2008, 11:59:08 AM »
They are holding  "unity candles"...that was used for coronations too?

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2008, 12:02:53 PM »
In coronation illustrations I have seen, NII&A are holding candles.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2008, 02:17:27 PM »
It can't be the coronation -- the tsar always crowned himself (and possibly his wife as well, I'm not sure) at the coronation. It was symbolic of the fact that he was God's anointed, that no one had higher authority than the tsar himself.