Author Topic: identification  (Read 224535 times)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: identification
« Reply #420 on: April 20, 2012, 06:10:31 AM »
Thanks !!!!  I have found this  curious photo (task still the grand duke Alexei Alexandrovich) . perhaps a photomontage, but who is the other men? For you which it is the meaning of the image?

http://inlinethumb01.webshots.com/48448/2778591280105221653S600x600Q85.jpg

The first man is the czar Alexander III  and the third ,  it is the brother Alexei. But the second  man I do not recognize. Perhaps a minister or politician?

The only Royal person in the photo is GD Alexei. Two others are some unknown men. That photomontage is probably from the trip of GD Alexei to the USA in the beginning of the 1870s when he was a sensation for the Americans.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #421 on: April 25, 2012, 11:20:31 PM »

I know this is a photo of Nicholas , Grand Duke Ernie and Victoria's two boys. But I have often wondered who the other young man is? I have seen other photos of him and I believe he had one leg shorter than the other. Is he one of Irene's boys?  Thank you

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 26, 2012, 12:42:02 AM »

I know this is a photo of Nicholas , Grand Duke Ernie and Victoria's two boys. But I have often wondered who the other young man is? I have seen other photos of him and I believe he had one leg shorter than the other. Is he one of Irene's boys?  Thank you

Of course the two boys in sailor suit are Louis (Dickie) and his elder brother (whose name i don't recall right now); the young man is far too old to be one of Ernie's children.
I don't know the year of the photo,but Dickie seems to be still a child of 10, 11, so around 1910 (?). The young man, IMHO, bears some resemblance with Dickie's brother, so could be one of Irene's boys.
 In 1910 Irene's living children were: Waldemar 21, and Sigsmund 14.
Maybe Waldemar, then? (i'm just trying...)
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 26, 2012, 01:25:18 AM »
I have seen this picture before. The young man was captioned as Sigismund of Prussia.

Ann

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #424 on: April 26, 2012, 10:30:42 AM »
Thank you, Ann. That makes sense to me. He is also in the back ground of a well known photo of Olga and her ( their) Uncle Ernie on board the yacht. Thanks Sunny...Dickie's elder brother's name was George. He died in his 30's  from cancer. Of all the tragedies in his mother's life, she said that was the worst...which says alot about  the pain of losing a child 

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 26, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »
Thank you, Ann. That makes sense to me. He is also in the back ground of a well known photo of Olga and her ( their) Uncle Ernie on board the yacht. Thanks Sunny...Dickie's elder brother's name was George. He died in his 30's  from cancer. Of all the tragedies in his mother's life, she said that was the worst...which says alot about  the pain of losing a child 

As you know relatives abroad of NAOTMAA are not my cup of tea, LOL, so i have problems remembering all the names! Thanks :)
So it was Sigismund, the younger of Irene's sons Thanks so much Ann for the info!

I know something about irene's sons because they are a good examples of the randomness of genetics; 2 on 3 were haemophiliacs, one died in childhood and one died in his 50s (Sigismund)... while Waldemar was healhty. We are used to think that if a mother is haemophilia carrier, the son will be sick and will die young, but it's not always so...

Oh, sorry, i'm OT!
Please visit my site

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 26, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »
Sunny

Of Irene's sons, it was Waldemar and Heinrich who were haemophiliacs. Sigismund was the healthy one.

George of Battenberg was born in 1892 and served in the Navy. He died from bone cancer in 1938, aged 46. Apparently, he was an extremely clever man - I read somewhere that he used to do calculus problems the way ordinarily intelligent people do crosswords. However, unlike his younger brother he was also very lazy.

Ann

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 26, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »
Sunny

Of Irene's sons, it was Waldemar and Heinrich who were haemophiliacs. Sigismund was the healthy one.

Oh sorry, i inverted them. Thanks for correcting! (i told it is not my cup of tea, didn't I?)

Please visit my site

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #428 on: April 28, 2012, 06:10:30 AM »
I'm not sure from the discussion what everyone's ultimate conclusions are here, but the young man on the railings is Prince Waldemar, aged 20. The elder boy in the sailor suit is his brother Sigismund, aged 12, and the younger is their cousin, Louis "Dickie" Battenberg, aged 9. The photo was taken in the Hemmelmark/Kiel Canal area in 1909, as the Standart passed through on her way to Britain, and the families of Princess Irene and her siblings Ernie and Victoria, who were staying at Hemmelmark with their sister, came aboard.

George of Battenberg, then aged 16 and a naval cadet, would be very unlikely to have appeared wearing a sailor suit: in Russia, the imperial boys stayed in this dress until they were about 18, at least in earlier generations, but in Britain it was identified with early childhood and discarded much younger (e..g photos of Dickie aged 10 show he had graduated to a suit, and I have seen pictures of George similarly attired in 1903, when he was also ten.). Georgie isn't on any of these photos, and I assume it was term-time.

Modified to say: as far as I know, Waldemar didn't have one leg shorter than the other, as I have seen pictures of him standing quite straight years later. But in 1909 it is possible that his leg may have been bent from bleeding, IF he appears consistently posed this way. Not sure.  
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:15:03 AM by Janet Ashton »
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 30, 2012, 03:41:01 AM »
In Britasin, boys seem to have stayed in sailor suits until about 8 only. Russian boys wore sailor suita a lot longer, and German boys somewhere in between. I recently saw a biography of Field Marshal von Mansteain, who was born in 1883. When he returned from cadet school aged 12, after his first term, he was most put out when his mother insisted that he get out of his uniform and put on a sailor suit.

Ann

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #430 on: April 30, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »
Janet,  that's awesome, thank you! I saw a photo of him watching tennis in Finland and he had a much larger heel on one shoe than another.  A bent leg would explain that . I'll try to find it. Thanks again.

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #431 on: May 02, 2012, 07:04:52 AM »
I saw a photo of him watching tennis in Finland and he had a much larger heel on one shoe than another.  A bent leg would explain that .

It would be interesting if you can - I shal look again at the pictures I have of him grown up to see if I cna detect anything either. A slightly shortened - or even slightly bent - leg could well be "collateral damage" from haemophilia, if problems after bleeds stopped the muscles etc developing properly. A withered limb of any kind would be particularly ironic considering whose nephew he was on his father's side, though if he had one I doubt it caused as many problems historically as the Kaiser's arm did!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:07:16 AM by Janet Ashton »
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline gem_10

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 20, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »
I found this portrait of a young lady which is located in one of the Tsar's palaces but there is no identification whatsoever about the identity of the lady. I found it among the portraits of the Russian empresses, but I am not sure who. My first thought was Elizabeth Alexeievna but she looks so different from her other portraits.

Here is the portrait:

And here is a painting of Tsar Alexander I's working study by Eduard Hau. One of the portraits on the right looks like the portrait from above.

Can anyone please establish the identity of the woman? Thank you.

Offline Marie Valerie

• Graf
  • Erzherzogin von Österreich (1868-1924)
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 05, 2012, 08:11:41 AM »
It could be Alexander I.'s favorite sister Grand Duchess Ekaterina Pavlovna (1788-1819) later Duchess of Oldenburg, and after that Queen of Württemberg.

Ekaterina Pavlovna (1788-1819)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:16:26 AM by Marie_Valerie »

Offline gem_10

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 05, 2012, 11:13:02 PM »
Thank Marie Valerie! The lady had some of Catherine Pavlovna's features: her dark hair and large eyes. :)