Author Topic: Alexander II : The Last Great Tsar  (Read 2150 times)

Sunny

Alexander II : The Last Great Tsar
« on: June 13, 2005, 08:00:47 PM »
Just read that on October 25, 'Alexander II : The Last Great Tsar' by Edvard Radzinsky will be available.

Sunny

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander II : The Last Great Tsar
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 08:07:50 PM »
Thanks Sunny, unlike so many here I really enjoy Radzinsky's books and have them all.....I like his "playwrite style".  It is always a refreshing new look at things.....a humanistic look if you will.
..Arleen

Sunny

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 09:05:46 PM »
My pleasure :), Arleen. I'm looking forward to this book as well.

Sunny

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 07:50:44 PM »
 :D :D :D

Aloha all!

I just had to tell you this story - because nobody here where I live would really "get it"!   :P

I went to our local library to return some DVD's -- while I was there, the head librarian came over to me, and said
"Janet, this book came from our other branch on the north side of the island, we can't sell it or use it because the binding is slightly torn -- I knew of your interest and so held onto it for you" !!!!!!!!!

So I now have a brand new, (with the price tag of $35 still attached) copy of "Alexander II, the last great Tsar".

Now I have to say, there are a lot of things I love about living here on Kaua'i -- not the least of is the fact that because I am always checking out (or requesting books to be forwarded from other islands) book on the Romanovs, this librarian remembers me and keeps this book!   How do you like that?  I was just floored!!!
I told my husband and he said "well, since 90% of the books you check out are Romanov related, and you have to be the only person on the island who is interested in them, it is probably pretty obvious" ----
well I don't know about that - altho' I'd be willing to bet that I am the only Romanov buff at least on this island.
(Now I sound like that guy on "Little Britain" -- Daffyd, the "only gay in the village"!!!!  

Sorry, but had to share with you guys, it made my day!  ;D ;D

Janet R.
aka  "the only Romanov buff in the village"

Janet R.

chess

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 01:03:17 PM »
i just finished "Alexander II the last Great Tsar" and returned it to the library. i found it gave me a whole new dimension to classic Russian Literature. it added a great deal of context for Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Gogol, and i'm sure all the other greats i haven't read yet.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by chess »

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 03:56:56 PM »
I have just finished Alexander II by Edvard Radzinsky and feel absolutely cheated.  I admire him as a playwrite but feel compelled to say that the book was about Russian politics under Nicholas I and he added much conjecture that he did not quote a source for, simply saying "a source" or such.  I especially found it profound that he added to the feelings of 8 year old AII without any direct quote from his tutor or AII own Diary. And the best was the ghost sightings of Paul I whenever there is doom in the Romanov family.  I had never heard of this before.  And though it may be common knowledge among the Romanov family, Radzinsky doesn't quote one single person who passed this information on. 

I found the book slow moving, convoluted and in the end a very boring read.  But of course, my opinion only.

One thing i did like were the pictures.  There were some which i had never seen and i appreciated this as he can get his hands on a lot of archival material. ;)