Author Topic: Anna Vyrubova's memoirs  (Read 8280 times)

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
Anna Vyrubova's memoirs
« on: May 15, 2004, 03:34:23 AM »
The title is "maid of honor of her majesty".I don't know if it's the apocryphal version or not.It's in Russian & it doesn't specify...

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Anna Vyrubova's memoirs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 09:44:35 AM »
It isnt a reprint of Vyrubova's book. It is about her. The title is "Lady in Waiting to Her Majesty" it seems to be about her... My Russian isnt good enough to figure out if it is a novel or a biography...it mentions photographs, so I think its a bio. Im sure one of our better Russian speakers can give you a full translation.

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 10:46:58 AM »
"Vospominanija freiliny Anny Aleksandrovny Vyrubovoi"= "Memories of the maid of honnor Anna Alexandrovna Vyrubova".

Offline tian79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 06:48:26 AM »
The later memoirs were published in Finnish in the 80s. The book has almost 300 pages and lots of photos, all can be found from the Yale collection.

Offline tian79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 07:54:31 AM »
Anna Virubova: Keisarinnan hovineiti
edited by Irmeli Viherjuuri
ISBN 951-1-09357-6
This the 1988 edition, but there is a newer edition from last year.

Offline Antiquarian2001

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 09:56:51 PM »
Does anyone know what finally happened to Anna? She is a very interesting  character. Seems to have been involved with Rasputin as well as being very close to Alexandra. I gather the revoluntionaries searched her room and caught her burning her personal papers and took her away.

Offline Katia

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 12:13:31 AM »
Anna lived in Petrograd (Sankt Petersburg-Leningrad) for a while after the revolution. She spent some time in a prison, too. Finally she managed to escape to Finland. She lived quietly there, first in Vyborg (Viipuri) with her mother. When the II word war broke and Finland lost Viipuri to the Russians, Anna moved to Helsinki with her servant and friend Vera (who took care of her). They had a two-room apartment at 29, Topelius Street (the house still exists) and they spent a quiet life there, having only short vacations in a cottage in Järvenpää, where Anna liked to paint postcards to send her friends...

Louise, the queen of Sweden, who was Alexandra Fedorovnas's niece, paid a little pension to Anna, who  spent a very modest life.

Anna died in 1964 and is buried in Helsinki orthodox cemetery (Hietaniemi). Vera continued to live in their apartment until 1980.

rskkiya

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 10:25:15 AM »
I think that her maiden name is inscribed because her marriage to Virubov was annuled... I read that it was never consumated. In a few letters Alix comments on her using her " true" or "new" name  - Taneeva.

Someone told me that she became a nun? Any information? Sorry my experience with Russian is very childish... I 'm just learning... ::)

Spaseeba!
R
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rskkiya »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 02:21:35 PM »
Hi Joanna,

I was able to translate the description of the book you were asking about, almost word for word. Here it is:

Vyrubova, Anna, The Lady in Waiting toHer Majesty.

“The Secrets of the  Russian Court”- this is how the  contents of this book can be described. Offered to the attention of the reader are the memoirs of the Lady in Waiting, Anna Alexandrovna Vyrubova, nee Taneyeva, very colorfully describing the atmosphere of court intrigues, that involved mysticism and superstition that dominated the court of Alexandra Fedorovna. A. Vyrubova was doubtlessly one of the major figures in that intimate court circle, where all the controversial political threads crossed. This is why her memoirs present enormous interest for a large circle of readers. In this edition the style and orthography of the original writings of the author were exposed to only insignificant editing.  

Hope that helps.

Helen

56741  Vyrubova Anna: Freilina Ee Velichestva.  22.00 CHF
15.28€
15.49  US$
Mn.: Harvest: 2002. 240 s., per. "Tainy rossiiskogo dvora" - tak mojno skazat o soderjanii etoi knigi. Predlagaemye vnimaniiu chitatelja Dnevnik i Vospominanija freiliny Anny Aleksandrovny Vyrubovoi, urojdennoi Taneevoi, kak nelzja bolee krasnorechivo illiustriruiut atmosferu pridvornyh intrig, zameshannyh na mistike i sueverijah, carivshuiu pri dvore imperatricy Aleksandry Fedorovny. A.Vyrubova, nesomnenno, javljalas odnoi iz glavnyh figur togo intimnogo pridvornogo krujka, gde skrescivalis vse niti avantiuristicheskih idei i politicheskih planov. Poetomu vospominanija freiliny Vyrubovoi predstavljaiut bolshoi interes dlja shirokogo kruga chitatelei. V nastojascem izdanii stilisticheskie oboroty i orfografija avtora podvergnuty lish samoi neznachitelnoi pravke."

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 02:26:12 PM »
Yes, from what I have always read about Vyrubova, her marriage was never consumated (she was even certified a virgin by the doctors during the revolutionary investigations about her and Rasputin) and she did become a nun later on. I think her marriage was annuled but it doesn't sound like it was much of a marriage to begin with... Her married name is not even mentioned on her grave stone....

Helen

I think that her maiden name is inscribed because her marriage to Virubov was annuled... I read that it was never consumated. In a few letters Alix comments on her using her " true" or "new" name  - Taneeva.

Someone told me that she became a nun? Any information? Sorry my experience with Russian is very childish... I 'm just learning... ::)

Spaseeba!
R

Offline Katia

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 11:51:09 PM »
Hi Joanna!
I'm sorry, I don't know where Anna and Vera's Järvenpää cottage was located, and if it still exists... I doubt it, because Järvenpää has changed a lot during the last decades. The most famous building there is Ainola, the home of our greatest composer Jean Sibelius and his family.
Katia

marina

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 11:20:41 AM »
  Last week, I saw in library, a book, a kind of biography of Anna Vyrubova (which is a good idea because without her, no rasputin and "maybe", no murder).  I didn't buy it because a french student (like me) lives hardly. I can't remember the author and the exact title but did you heard about it? Or maybe do you know a book only about A. Vyroubova? It's an interesting person I think.

Offline Mie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 06:43:08 AM »
I know that there has been made a book by Anna Vyrubova and in 1990-century it were revised to *remind* bio.. Do you mean that book or has here really made a biograbhy of her :) Couse as you said it would be interesting!!!

Offline tian79

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 06:46:08 AM »
Do you mean Une dame de l'ombre à la cour de Russie by Louis Béroud?
Found it from
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2755400277/qid=1139575206/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/403-3403867-5563657

I don't know if it's fact or fiction.

Offline tian79

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 06:47:54 AM »
Hei Mie

Jos tarkoitat Keisarinnan hovineitoa en usko että sitä on käännetty ranskaksi, tosin en ole varma.