Author Topic: Spanish Bourbon Infantas  (Read 48795 times)

Offline prinzheinelgirl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Bourbon Infantas
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 03:58:22 AM »
Louis of Parma corresponded with Thomas Jefferson while in Madrid. It seems that Louis was particularly interested in flora and fauna, and solicited T. Jefferson's assistance. Page 217 of the book 'The Papers of Thomas Jefferson' stated that although very little is known about his education, he had studied quite extensively the plants and animals in Parma and had a sound understanding of Chemistry as well. One of his letters to Thomas Jefferson can be viewed...

http://books.google.com/books?id=SESFXv6J8QUC&pg=PA233&dq=%22louis+prince+of+parma%22&lr=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=1&as_miny_is=2009&as_maxm_is=12&as_maxy_is=2009&as_brr=0&as_pt=ALLTYPES#PPA233,M1

Not exactly the 'imbecile' and idle prince as claimed in some sources...

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:02:26 AM by trentk80 »
kindness is the magic elixir of love

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the Jefferson info. I did not know he correspond with Louis. Was the letter in English or was it in French being translated?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:01:26 AM by trentk80 »

Offline prinzheinelgirl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 03:32:24 AM »
I think page 216-217 of the same book had a letter in French (the funny thing is I was able to access it a few days ago but seems unavailable now). They may have corresponded in French and this particular letter was translated...

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:01:41 AM by trentk80 »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »
Indeed. Jefferson did spent time in France and knew French well, and it is also the language of the royal courts.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 12:53:32 AM »
Any new facts?Or pictures of Maria Amalia?

Offline Tybalt

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 05:30:12 AM »

Offline HSH The Duchess of Bourbon

• Boyar
  • HSH The Duchess of Bourbon, Princess of the blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 03:02:57 PM »
Maria Isabella of Spain (1789-1848), Queen of the Two Sicilies, daughter of Charles IV of Spain and Maria Luisa of Parma..

any interesting things about her? pictures? wikipedia is not very good =[

HSH The Duchess of Bourbon, Princess of the blood

Offline prinzheinelgirl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 10:01:06 PM »
Here is what I know......

When the royal family was packing off for Sicily, her mother in law Queen Maria Carolina wrote to her daughter Maria Theresa in Vienna:  "We spend the days in all the horrors of packing and in tears. I am prepared for anything but shall endeavor to die without remorse. Isabel... sees all the packing going on and everyone crying, she is just like a log, understanding and feeling nothing.  Her husband is all fire, prepration, honor and courage, and I pity him. Leopold is also full of enthusiasm but it can only end in horror."

Francis, Isabel and their children settled in a small farm just outside of Palermo. Queen Maria Carolina wrote again her daughter Maria Theresa from Sicily:  "Francis alone looks after the children, for his wife does not love them but often says she hates children."

I must add though that  MC did not seem to be her best self at that point in her life hence her less than charitable comments about her daughter-in-law. Perhaps they were not so accurate comments, but rather biased ones....

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 02:45:24 AM by trentk80 »

Offline beladona

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »
Another picture of Maria Isabella:

she looks better there...a little...

Offline HSH The Duchess of Bourbon

• Boyar
  • HSH The Duchess of Bourbon, Princess of the blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 12:16:31 PM »
stunning tiaraaaaa..i wonder what she thought of the court at Naples compared to Spain
HSH The Duchess of Bourbon, Princess of the blood

Offline Gabriel Antonio

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »

The first time I knew about this princess was when I saw her in the famous Goya painting " The Family of Charles IV". She and her little brother look like they may be normal children. She actually looks very nice in this painting compared to most of the rest of them- and I was curious to learn more about what happened to her. Actually, this painting makes one want to research everyone and what happened to them. She was only 11 at the time of the painting
It was then I learned that only two years later this princess Maria Isabella in this painting married her first cousin Francis of Naples after his Austrian wife died, and that she was only 13 and he was 25. Today that age difference would be child abuse. Can you imagine their wedding night? Maybe this is why she came across to people as she did in the above posts.

Her first daughter was born when she was only 15, and this daughter Maria Luisa married Isabella's little brother Francisco- the one in the famous painting, when she was only 14. Isabella's second daughter was born when she was 17, and this daughter Maria Christina married her older brother in the painting- Ferdinand, Prince of the Asturias. Both of these marriages were uncle niece marriages. What do we call that today?  ( And the other brother in the famous picture- Carlos, ALSO married a niece, the daughter of another sister. AND the brother of the King in the picture- Antonio Pascal- he married another niece- an older sister of Isabella.) So, this painting has at least 4 uncle niece marriages connected to the people in it- maybe there are even more. The King and Queen in the picture were first cousins through their fathers. And, the Prince of Parma in the picture is married to his first cousin, another daughter of the King and Queen- the one holding the baby in the painting.
So, this is what I found researching this painting - starting with the pretty princess Maria Isabella. All the posted paintings of her on this thread, are not as nice as she looked as she was portrayed by Goya as an 11 year old girl.
And, I learned her youngest son- married - you guessed it- his niece.

Offline prinzheinelgirl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 08:25:30 PM »
Yes, Maria Isabella of Spain's family was quite complex and interesting, not to mention all those marriages with close relations......
To add to the above, it was mentioned in another thread that Maria Isabella's letters to her older sister Carlota Joaquina in Portugal strongly suggests that she wasn't stupid as claimed by her mother-in-law Queen Maria Carolina of Naples (thanks to trentk80 for this info).....

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »
The third one looks like the same painter who did her daughter Queen Mother Maria Cristina of Spain. Similar style, similar dress.

Offline trentk80

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 12:16:24 PM »
The third one looks like the same painter who did her daughter Queen Mother Maria Cristina of Spain. Similar style, similar dress.

Yes, because it was made by the same painter, Vicente López, around the same time he painted the famous portrait of Maria Christina.
Ladran los perros a la Luna, y ella con majestuoso desprecio prosigue el curso de su viaje.

Offline Gabriel Antonio

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 11:57:37 PM »
On a thread under the Italian Royalty, specifically regarding Queen Maria Isabella's daughter Maria Antoinetta, there was a comment made about Maria Isabella having lived a scandalous life. I am assuming this was after her husband King Francis I of the Two Sicilies died in 1830. Or, was it during her marriage? Or, both during and after? One wonders if being forced to get married at the age of 13 to a 25 year old man had anything to do with her
behavior later in life- or if there is any truth to her having been said to be a scandalous person.
What scandalous things was she involved with and with who?

I can't help but think of the supposed scandalous behavior of her mother Queen Maria Luisa of Spain, AND her daughters- Luisa Carlota ( wife of Infante Francisco de Paula ) and Queen Maria Christina of Spain. ( fourth wife of Ferdinand VII) Perhaps this behavior ran in the family?
Or maybe it is all talk?-- and none of these people were truly scandalous-- unless you count possible court intrigue. When it comes to that, from what I have read, Maria Isabella's' mother and daughters get far higher marks in that department than her.