Author Topic: Jim Hercules  (Read 28863 times)

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Jim Hercules
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2012, 08:49:51 AM »
Jim Hercules had a room in the same Servant's quarters buildings as the other male servants.  As I recall, he returned back to the US after the Revolution, where he did have a family.

Offline Duchess Hydrangea

• View Profile
    • HRH Carpathia blog
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2012, 10:29:07 AM »
Jim Hercules had a room in the same Servant's quarters buildings as the other male servants.  As I recall, he returned back to the US after the Revolution, where he did have a family.

What great information. Good to know. How do you find information on him because I've only read what was already on this site.
Arthur of The Last Russian Czarhttp://www.amazon.com/Last-Russian-Czar-H-Carpathia/dp/1600431690/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1438094724&sr=8-6&keywords=the+last+russian+czar&pebp=1438094722063&perid=0HY1DJMAWA2SXA4BFAJ3

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »
Although being in his early thirties and obviously vigorous and strong would recommend Jim H. for his position in the mid 1890' s , I somehow have difficulty thinking of a near fifty year old man in that role as he was near 1917. I thought he might possibly have been eased out of the job with a pension for his loyalty and service while a younger man took over. I'm glad he wasn't but I could see it happening.
Rodney G.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »
They were quite fond of Jim and kept him on as a "special" retainer.   Remember Jim brought Alexei the Indian teepee and canoe that you see in the photos of the Playroom!

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
I imagine Jim had some stories to tell when he returned to the U.S.  I'm glad he made it out of Russia.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »
I'm reading a book now about Jack Johnson, the famous  black American boxer, and for seven years world champion (1908-1915) who fought not only in the ring ,but against the prevalent race prejudice of the time, which made finding white opponents mighty difficult. While in flight  from US law in 1914 he ended up in St. Petersburg in the summer of 1914!

Since African-American boxers from the  US South were not exactly thick on the ground in SP in the early twentieth century (JH andJJ likely being the only ones :o)), I'm sure Jim Hercules would have known Jack Johnson was in town and might have wanted to meet him. Or tried to. Small world indeed.
Rodney G.