Author Topic: The House of Hannover,past and present  (Read 108810 times)

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: The House of Hannover,past and present
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2010, 06:34:29 AM »
It is sometimes very difficult to stick 100% to a topic, this one is a perfect example because it is the history of a family within the larger context of other Royal families of Germany and their past and present behaviour.So it is a very "wide" subject.
My apologies if I went off context but I was just responding to what was being discussed.
The whole Nazi thing is very interesting. I have read "Royals and the Reich" twice, so i find the this topic interesting.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2010, 08:17:47 AM »
No...I doubt that they were involved in the affairs of the Reich. However they were not shy about backing the establishment even though it was wrong (targeting the Jews and other groups). No they were not war criimanals but they were not respectable peope (VL & Awui) either.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »
The RF of Hannover

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2010, 10:18:08 AM »
Found as Princess Marie Hanover

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2010, 07:49:36 AM »
Welf Heinrich (VL last child) marriage with Princess Alexandra Sophie of Ysenburg and Büdingen

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2010, 10:27:32 AM »
Prince Welf was a bit older than his young wife. He passed about 15 years ago, but Princess Alexandra remains alive and well and is still working with the Frankfurt city council in a tourism and cultural capacity.

How was her relationship with her mother in law?
HerrKaiser

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2010, 10:05:48 AM »
King George V, Ernst August and Friederike.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2010, 10:07:17 AM »
Ernst August with his son and daughter-in-law.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2010, 10:13:30 AM »
The first one was already posted but the second is new at least for me. I love to see VL smile. Thanks!

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2010, 12:32:09 PM »
Well...VL smiled like a cat...I like Thyra's shy smile better.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2010, 05:30:37 PM »
Thyra hardly ever smiled in photos; she was emotionless and stone-faced, not unlike most of her peers, but certainly not a person who conveyed any particular emotion in her images. As far as being shy, we know that in today's world she would have been considered a bit of a hussy as a teenager, so shyness is not a term I would apply to her.

Victoria Luise, on the other hand, had an utterly and completely genuine smile and demeanor. If by "cat" like you suggest hers was a sly or sinister look, you couldn't be further from reality. She is one of the few royals of her era to have demonstrated pleasing facial expressions in photos...all very kind in appearance and full of sweetness. This is well documented among various people who were graced by her presence.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:41:26 PM by HerrKaiser »
HerrKaiser

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2010, 06:07:25 PM »
I don't think VL's smile is sweet at all. She is known not to be the easy one to get along with, especially later with her daughter Queen Frederica of Greece. She went so far to call Princess Nicholas of Greece "her real mother", that is how sweet VL is. To me her smile is all smugness (a bit like her mother Dona). Thyra was called "My sweet daughter" by King Christian IX of Denmark. I don't think her early indescretion qualify her of being a hussy. That title belonged to someone like Luise of Tuscany or even Marie of Romania. Her shy smile was warm and genuine. All her children adored her (including VL), and that speak volumes.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2010, 12:34:38 AM »

Victoria Luise, on the other hand, had an utterly and completely genuine smile and demeanor. If by "cat" like you suggest hers was a sly or sinister look, you couldn't be further from reality. She is one of the few royals of her era to have demonstrated pleasing facial expressions in photos...all very kind in appearance and full of sweetness. This is well documented among various people who were graced by her presence.

I'd say VL's smile looks foxy...

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2010, 06:47:16 PM »
I agree "foxy"is a very good description too.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2010, 12:33:12 PM »
The common use of "foxy" implies sexy and hip. VL might be considered both, but I think it is a real stretch to apply such terms to her.

The other implication of "foxy" is 'acting like a fox' which again suggests unsavory personality traits and a sneaky, untrustworthy character. This is totally inaccurate, both historically and based on any personal biases one might choose to embrace.

The fact that daughter Frederica made a loving comment about her a woman close proximity to her in a strange land bears nothing valid to discredit VL's long term and overall remarkably high respect and adoration from most people.
HerrKaiser